Music in Spar nowadays is shit...discuss (1 Viewer)

There is a chain of grocery shops here (Toronto) called Rabba that has a crazily random music policy, I've heard everything in there from hard techno, current pop hits, Leonard Cohen, insipid muzak remakes of stuff like Everybody Hurts by REM.. Presumably it's just local staff sticking on whatever they want but I like to think there's a central computer somewhere churning this stuff out based on some complex marketing formula.

Tesco has the same policy of playing muzak pastiches of things you might hear on the radio, which continually catches my ear for all the wrong reasons. My local Centra, however has a genius policy of playing proper radio classics but always interrupting them with a Centra ad so that the discontinuity means your ear is already cocked and expectant when the ad lands. I am super-impressed.

Monday morning!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now I'm half tempted to go to Spar on my way home so I can find out what the fuss is about. I probably won't though.
Well...it isn't anything like the links I posted! It's more like what someone who thought they were a good idea would do. If he or she had no taste and infinite contempt for their customers :)
Those articles and the youtube link are actually pretty great...

Just on olive oil. It's a staple. Never run out.
Get an overall understanding of what suits your eating regimen - you don't need extra virgin for frying or sauteeing, but it's better to have for salads, so whatever way you're eating.
Then get an understanding of what a good price per litre is. I know for me here that it is about $7.99/litre.
Someone’s always running specials. Once I see it at that level or below, I grab a bunch of big bottles. It can't go off.

It is better being the type of happy unsufferable person that never runs out of olive oil, than the one in Spar for 5 minutes plus.

I'm just remembering that my avatar here for years was the muzak logo

muzak.gif

Just on olive oil. It's a staple. Never run out.
Get an overall understanding of what suits your eating regimen - you don't need extra virgin for frying or sauteeing, but it's better to have for salads, so whatever way you're eating.
Then get an understanding of what a good price per litre is. I know for me here that it is about $7.99/litre.
Someone’s always running specials. Once I see it at that level or below, I grab a bunch of big bottles. It can't go off.

It is better being the type of happy unsufferable person that never runs out of olive oil, than the one in Spar for 5 minutes plus.

I'm just remembering that my avatar here for years was the muzak logo

muzak.gif

Last time we were in Italy we bought 4-5 three litre drums. Still using it.

He was/is a national treasure

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bumping this. My local Spar has taken to playing what sounds like demos of pop tunes. The songs sound familiar, like stuff you'd hear on mainstream radio, but there's something "off" about them. Maybe this is what the original post was talking about?
Did someone contract a bunch of failed demo tapes from some dodgy agent or something?

Royalty free covers instead of paying IMRO?
Is it possible to legally bypass IMRO for broadcasting music in public? I always thought the license was collected regardless and only paid out if it was declared by the broadcaster or claimed by the owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back