mtv-grunge thread (1 Viewer)

Oh yeah, Is This It is a wonderful album, always was, always will be. Their beautiful posh boys in vintage clothes playing faux-lo-fi shtick could only last so long, but i've come around to their second album in recent years. I try their other stuff now and then but none of it ever lands for me, they're probably too busy enjoying their wonderful lives to have anything to sing about.
Is this is it is 10/10

Second album has 4 or 5 bangers and the rest ok. Gave up (grew up?) after that

so who among ye was at the white zombie/soundgarden gig in the RDS in 1995? I remember that I was big into soundgarden at the time, but they did a cover of waiting for the sun in their set, and I was just old enough to have started to regard the doors as terminally cringe, so I started doubting soundgarden from that moment on. also I remember white zombie being pretty cool.
I was at that. Everyone hated soundgarden at that but I liked them.

Have you ever been in a band?
My comments were wholly facetious,

Sadly I was in a band in Tokyo. It seems the whole reason to be in a band was to get through rehearsal as soon as possible and then wail through Suede, Soundgarden et al at karaoke with drink on tap.

I remember the guitar player from Manchester, I hated him but we drank frequently. You like U.S Maple and Jesus Lizard. All right, get in. I used to fantasize about having him in a headlock and ramming his head into the amp during gigs, or throwing him off a balcony to his death. He was like a cross between Gail Platt's son from Corrie blended sardonically with Mark E Smith minus the wit and bite, A proper Manc cunt. Good guitar player though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway, back on topic. First album is genuinely good. Arguably as seminal as Helmet but blew it through fashion etc,

Surprises me to this day that an album as strong as King failed so badly and so quickly that the band split up within months of it coming out.

I suppose in the UK everyone was Britpop mad, and in the US they weren't, what, lo fi enough for the GBV/Sonic Youth side, or male and masculine enough for NIN/Chili Peppers fans? Something like that? Or did 1995 just wholly belong to the Smashing Pumpkins for alt rock?

Jagged Little Pill was only six months down the road though.

Screaming Trees are probably the weakest of the bunch. Not really a grunge band though. Dust is a good album, flows well as a listen.
They get unfairly lumped in with “grunge” though and I think some their 80s SST stuff was very good. Pity the singer himself doesn’t think so, but he did fuck all except be an arsehole anyway.

This would be more my speed

I haven't heard this since the 90s when a friend added it to a mixtape he gave me.

from the major-label-video-budget-era late screaming trees. I’ve always had a huge soft spot for this song, it still holds up. and it has maybe the most ridiculous organ solo of the twentieth century.

Sort of belongs here.
I listened to The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen yesterday for the first time in years and years and I have to say It was overwhelming. A concept album about domestic abuse. Did a number on me.

Afghan Whigs...very overwrought, but they own it.

Greg Dulli...unique white soul yelper. Instantly recognisable vocal style.

FUN on a FRIDAY

Urge overkill - The kids are insane (1991)

Really good drummer. Loads of sneaky time changes. Good guitars as well.

Last edited:
The Dandy Warhols - Boys Better (1997) Yeah they're hipsters but this is cool a f.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back