mtv-grunge thread (2 Viewers)

I think you might be confusing them with Cold, who definitely fit more of a post-grunge alt-rock pigeonhole, but were possibly discovered by fellow Floridian Fred Durst... both bands were in Metal Hammer and Kerrang! around the same time. Would say Coal Chamber probably slide more neatly into a nu-metal hole, but Cold... well, they're just like a better version of Bush, aren't they?
No definitely Coal Chamber. I think I was just reading Kerrang or Metal Hammer at the time and assumed all the bands were British because the newspaper was. I don't even remember Cold!

Anyway, moving on, their two songs were fairly big novelty hits, and rightly so, but I make the case that the POTUSA debut had the best guitar tones (or Guitbass and Basitar tones I guess) out of the entire decade

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I listened to Ten by Pearl Jam for the first time ever there about a month ago. Pretty good! (although I haven't put it on since)

I've also been coming round to the Doors actually.

It's great being old, you can like all the bands you were too afraid to like when younger.

Eh, weirdly I gave Blind Melon's Soup and P.O.T.U.S.A II airings in the car recently...

Not that I drive. I was in there as a passenger.

Anyway, re: Soup: Mouthful of Cavities and Galaxy...pretty good 90s alt tunes. Mouthful of Cavities is probably light years ahead of what most of their peers could do. Very earnest though...a lot of twaddle to wade through.

First Presidents album CD has long since vanished, so I was left to break out II left to me outside of will by a disgusted cousin.

Holds up pretty well. Love that song that goes, "I will survive in my Mach 5, I will survive yeah yeah YEAAAAHHH dun da dun !" Hankering to hear the first one now.

II was one of the first albums I ever bought, on cassette of course. I was a bit disappointed at the time, but in retrospect it's pretty great, totally bonkers songwriting. All the money that was thrown at them for their follow up and that's what they came up with. I can have Toob Amplifier going through my head for weeks at a time.

as much stand-up comedians as musicians — not intended as a put-down!

gustaf are perhaps their contemporary inheritors

Cold, Bush... I suppose the Jesus Lizard are to blame for all these four letter word band names in the 90s with album titles like Shot, Head, Down, Liar, Goat, Club and so on... Rossdale likes to cite Jesus Lizard as an influence, eh,, yeah mate,
Foetus did it first with the four letter album titles:
545B11D4-AEF0-41F7-AB91-196AACA6584D.jpeg

Though as unlikely as The Jesus Lizard as an influence on Bush is, it’s hard to imagine them sitting around listening to “I’ll Meet You in Poland baby”.
Anyway, moving on, their two songs were fairly big novelty hits, and rightly so, but I make the case that the POTUSA debut had the best guitar tones (or Guitbass and Basitar tones I guess) out of the entire decade

The Presidents of the USA are one of the best bands ever. So much fun and as you say, they actually sound like a rock band. Normally that novelty lyrics thing that Americans go in for drives me up the wall but the first two, maybe even three, albums will forever be in my heart. I saw them play the TBMC/Button Factory years ago and it was a complete sweat box. The most smiling by a crowd I’ve ever seen at a gig. Pure magic.

Too late for this thread's timeline but what do you lot make of Audioslave?

I've some mates a few years younger than me and the Audioslave debut to them is their 14-15 years old "this changed my life and showed me what rock can do" album, but at the time I thought it was embarrassing corporate rock by people with too much money. Even the indie NME sponsored-by-shockwaves scene of Strokes et al was more interesting, but maybe it's time to give them a fair listen?

They ain't no RATM, but the world needed it at the time. It stands up well to modern listening I think. I guess it gave people like your young friends an in to that music.

Too late for this thread's timeline but what do you lot make of Audioslave?

I've some mates a few years younger than me and the Audioslave debut to them is their 14-15 years old "this changed my life and showed me what rock can do" album, but at the time I thought it was embarrassing corporate rock by people with too much money. Even the indie NME sponsored-by-shockwaves scene of Strokes et al was more interesting, but maybe it's time to give them a fair listen?

audioslave are beyond rescue; I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool defender of the glorious legacies of both soundgarden and RATM

but I remember someone on thumped telling a story years ago about some friend of theirs who had used the name audioslave back in the 90s, and basically they got a nice pile of money to abandon the name and let the supergroup use it instead

(and, as a more-or-less unrelated thought: in a post-BLM woke america, I really don’t think the name audioslave would actually get used today)

My younger brother by 8 years was/is a big Audioslave fan. Never did anything for me but I never liked Soundgarden and grew out of RATM by about 15

audioslave are beyond rescue; I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool defender of the glorious legacies of both soundgarden and RATM

but I remember someone on thumped telling a story years ago about some friend of theirs who had used the name audioslave back in the 90s, and basically they got a nice pile of money to abandon the name and let the supergroup use it instead

(and, as a more-or-less unrelated thought: in a post-BLM woke america, I really don’t think the name audioslave would actually get used today)
Tom Morello was a guest on a radio show called "The First Time", where musicians talk about the first gig they went to, first album they bought etc.

He said that the RATM lads would sit down every 9 months or so and watch This is Spinal Tap, and then compare their own behaviour to that of Spinal Tap, and then apologise to each other. I thought that was strange since RATM were all right on or whatever. Anyway he seemed quite self aware.

Audioslave are woeful. Then again, I never gave them much of a chance. A very empty listening experience.

You can't really mess with Superunknown and Badmotorfinger. Leagues ahead off all other Seattle fare. [And I say that with a fondness for certain Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam tracks. Screaming Trees are probably the weakest of the bunch. Not really a grunge band though. Dust is a good album, flows well as a listen].

Afghan Whigs? Did the whole overblown alt rock thing quite well. Definitely a three in the morning, bottle of gin out, headphones on crouched over the laptop chaining Johnnie Blues type of listen. Freaks the housemates out.

Re: the RATM Spinal Tap thing - what is wrong with Americans??

Unless he's trying to pull one over on seanc...
Have you ever been in a band? tbf he was saying bands who make it to a certain level of success should watch ST once in a while.
I don't think he was specifically speaking to me.

Yeah, I still like RATM but Audioslave were a letdown. I’m not a massive Soundgarden mainly because of the vocals so Audioslave had an uphill battle. Still went and saw them at the Point. Think someone like Staind supported and the crowd was woeful.

Even the indie NME sponsored-by-shockwaves scene of Strokes et al was more interesting,
yep, it was. I saw The Strokes at the Olympia around the time This Is It (Is This It? Is It This? - the Spinal Tap smell the glove inspired album with Last Night) and they were really good. Way better than their album and anything I’ve heard since.

Oh yeah, Is This It is a wonderful album, always was, always will be. Their beautiful posh boys in vintage clothes playing faux-lo-fi shtick could only last so long, but i've come around to their second album in recent years. I try their other stuff now and then but none of it ever lands for me, they're probably too busy enjoying their wonderful lives to have anything to sing about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back