mtv-grunge thread (1 Viewer)

Ah fair enough.

Are these two bands even in the same ballpark musically speaking?

Will listen to both and see...

Hed (pe)?

so who among ye was at the white zombie/soundgarden gig in the RDS in 1995? I remember that I was big into soundgarden at the time, but they did a cover of waiting for the sun in their set, and I was just old enough to have started to regard the doors as terminally cringe, so I started doubting soundgarden from that moment on. also I remember white zombie being pretty cool.

meanwhile, I submit this specimen, and argue the case that it can be included as mtv grunge.

also I still think this *video* is kind of fantastic — of course it’s a very 90s-grunge aesthetic, all the blues and greens, the out-of-focus bits, the jumpy zooms and pans. but I really love it, and it made 16-year-old me think a lot about framing and things like that

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Defo one of their better tunes. Not a big fan though.

What's the back story to this song...the history of the song's namesake. It involves American metafiction kid and Beckett wannabe Donald Barthelme.. Without googling it, I believe old Don played a part in this guy's media downfall.

What's the Frequency Kenneth is always my go-to song for how perfect sounding alt-rock became. There's a bunch of grungy guitar tones in there, each one precision tooled to sound, well, shiny.

It's kind of like the chocolate brown suits of early 90s television (think Lois and Clark), VERY LOUDLY a reaction to the day-glo 80s in a way that is so over the top it's actually remarkably 80s looking.

All of that to say, great track, love it.

It's only a very small step from that to this though (another great track, from a great album! but also, come on like, pure writing for what sells right now music)

Defo one of their better tunes. Not a big fan though.

What's the back story to this song...the history of the song's namesake. It involves American metafiction kid and Beckett wannabe Donald Barthelme.. Without googling it, I believe old Don played a part in this guy's media downfall.
It’s what the guy kept saying when he was attacking Dan Rather. He wanted to know what frequency NBC were broadcasting their messages into his brain.

It's only a very small step from that to this though (another great track, from a great album! but also, come on like, pure writing for what sells right now music)

hmm

hmmmmmmm

I suppose I’d be inclined to put this into some kind of post-springsteen major-label-americana type of category, more so than the alt-rock/mtv-grunge/90s-rock bucket. but... noted for the archives nonetheless.

It’s what the guy kept saying when he was attacking Dan Rather. He wanted to know what frequency NBC were broadcasting their messages into his brain.

Right, I forgot it was an attack...thought it was some original cancel culture business.

Listening to White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000... enjoyable. Can't pick a video that can run in this MTV grunge race unfortunately.

'Winona's Big Brown Beaver' - Primus.

Shoot me if that has been posted already.

Winona - who could be more grunge?

I actually thought Coal Chamber were British, for some reason. Were they only successful on this side of the Atlantic? In my head they were a different thing to Nu-Metal, as in they weren't taking their cues from Korn and were more coming from that 90's "alt-rock" wide umbrella term, but I suppose I didn't follow it too closely.

I think you might be confusing them with Cold, who definitely fit more of a post-grunge alt-rock pigeonhole, but were possibly discovered by fellow Floridian Fred Durst... both bands were in Metal Hammer and Kerrang! around the same time. Would say Coal Chamber probably slide more neatly into a nu-metal hole, but Cold... well, they're just like a better version of Bush, aren't they?

Both of those actually hold up quite well... bit of a Deftones vibe in the second song admittedly.

Cold, Bush... I suppose the Jesus Lizard are to blame for all these four letter word band names in the 90s with album titles like Shot, Head, Down, Liar, Goat, Club and so on... Rossdale likes to cite Jesus Lizard as an influence, eh,, yeah mate, and let's get Albini in... the Charlotte Gainsbourg of early 90s alt rock, get the fuck out ... hard to imagine that model's tousled phizog worshipfully caught under Yow's triumphant armpit at London Highbury Garage in 1992 somehow.

Still though, Glycerine by Bush...tasty little morsel of anthemic alt rock tuneage. Pleasurably overwrought and self-serious at age 12, and mention of it might just get you the shift.

SUICIDAL TENDENCIES - Nobody Hears (1992)

metal/trash bands going a bit 'alternative' could be a thread of its own

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth has complained many times about the record company making them wear plaid shirts, because that was the style at the time. And wrote a couple of songs that tapped into the zeitgeist. Production wise, Youthenasia sounds a lot like above song.

Silly really, that's not what Megadeth did, musically. Nor Suicidal Tendancies I assume. But they did it.

Shall I post a video? No I shall not. But you may Google it if you wish.

meanwhile, I submit this specimen, and argue the case that it can be included as mtv grunge.

also I still think this *video* is kind of fantastic — of course it’s a very 90s-grunge aesthetic, all the blues and greens, the out-of-focus bits, the jumpy zooms and pans. but I really love it, and it made 16-year-old me think a lot about framing and things like that

I liked me metal as much as me spinach as a youngster, but really, the band in this video is almost exactly the kind of band I wanted to be in. Rocking out, bringing the tunes and not giving af.

I Alone by Live. I remember Beavis & Butthead going to absolute town on this.

Singer was a fresh graduate from the Eddie Vedder School of Method Acting Grunge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back