mtv-grunge thread (1 Viewer)

These were all played on MTV

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

close thread

This version of “You Oughta Know” by Alannis Morissette was on BBC4 a little while ago and it has aged surprisingly well:

as played on 8radio last night, and remarked upon as being a 'very MTV2' track:

Time for the nu-metal appendage to this thread...

24 million views. Mindblowing. Think about that. What a carbon footprint to have hanging from your braided chin beard with rubberbands wound through.

Loco by Coal Chamber, around 97/98.

I remember my older brother getting into this lot, and thinking his tastes had really regressed. He went from Sepultura and Pantera to this dirt. What's he playing at?, I remember thinking. He went around with elastic bands weaved into the goat hairs from his chin for about three years...

In the cold light of history, not the worst bit of nu metal tat though.

Your OLDER brother?

That single wasn't the worst of that ilk, though I just listened to that and then went back to White Zombie, which is vaguely closer to the point of the thread.

Also, watching that I'm thinking of Tenacious D's One Note Song.

NEXT SONG!

Yeah, my older brother was a classic brainless metalhead thug who'd batter you if you even looked at him.

Typical breed of reckless metalhead bogshite which became its own profile in the 90s. Army jacket German flag, stupid facial hair,do your own dreads optional.

White Zombie are surely miles ahead of CC, no? Must relisten this week. Yeah, Rob Zombie might have been my brother's main style icon when he was fourteen.

I actually thought Coal Chamber were British, for some reason. Were they only successful on this side of the Atlantic? In my head they were a different thing to Nu-Metal, as in they weren't taking their cues from Korn and were more coming from that 90's "alt-rock" wide umbrella term, but I suppose I didn't follow it too closely.

In, I would say 1999, I had a friend who went to Canada for the summer. When she got back in August she wanted to tell us all about this band, LIMP BIZKIT, who were really big over there.

It's the future lads, Nookie is an amazing song. You should hear their cover of Faith.

Yeah, my older brother was a classic brainless metalhead thug who'd batter you if you even looked at him.

Typical breed of reckless metalhead bogshite which became its own profile in the 90s. Army jacket German flag, stupid facial hair,do your own dreads optional.

White Zombie are surely miles ahead of CC, no? Must relisten this week. Yeah, Rob Zombie might have been my brother's main style icon when he was fourteen.
Belgian flag surely?
I was jealous of that sort when I was younger. Mullingar seemed like the most exotic place.

Anyway, this thread proves I'm too old for nu-metal, but too young for grunge. I'll take that.

Thinking about this, maybe I have my times mixed up. When did CC appear vis a vis WZ?

Thinking about my own older brother, I think maybe Coal Chamber was popular with people because fashion-wise, they were metal, but dressed like ravers, and the lads had just discovered yokes.

My older brother had a great collection on tapes and CD's. He also had some terrible clothes.

S
Belgian flag surely?
I was jealous of that sort when I was younger. Mullingar seemed like the most exotic place.

Anyway, this thread proves I'm too old for nu-metal, but too young for grunge. I'll take that.

Haha, Mullingar was a rough place to be in secondary school...you're not a Westmeath man?

I was too young for grunge, but discovered Black Hole Sun around the same time I discovered Basket Case by Green Day. I remember trying to reconcile the buzz off Superunknown with the entirely different vibe of Dookie in 1995...how could I be into both - they seemed to come from separate worlds?? It was like I was multiple people. Used to cause me ontological problems when I was 11 and 12.

Not Westmeath no. HOW DARE YOU SIR!
Not far off though.

Personally, I thought anything with guitars and musicians was inherently good, even if it was fucking D:Ream. Because all I ever heard was C&W or boy/girl bands or mad techno uncs uncs uncs rave. But we've gone well off the grunge at this point. I blame the yokes for ruining the creative output of that era. Oh, and the heroin as well. Heroin ruined the creators, yokes ruined the listeners.

Somehow that ties into The Prodigy.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was doubting myself.

But in an effort to put it back on topic, this is the first grunge song I ever heard. I think it's a way more captivating tune than the stuff that gets more airplay.

Older brother explained "it's about heroin", and my childhood brain sort of thought "wow, that's cool".

Never saw the video until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back