Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

country people: 'i have right to live beside my parents!'
dubs: 'you want to live beside your parents?'
like... RIGHT by them.

What's deal. I suppose it's handy in some ways, but... that aligned with the constant scandal and rumour mongering has to leave a mark.

She's riding WHO now? (15 minutes after saying hello to her in the pub.)

a colleague of my wife's moved to donegal with his future wife (who's a weapon, by all accounts), but has found himself living in a house, with his parent's in law next door, and his sister in law the other side. and he knows no one up there but them. bleedin weird.

he resigned his ministerial position pretty fast. reckon theres more to come?

blatantly lying on a planning permission application is 'do not pass go, resign' territory, it's enough for it to be fairly instant.
it's a pity the PP is now not rendered null, resulting in his house being demolished.
Yeah, and I think they all just seen what damage the Troy thing did, and it all ends the same anyways
He was told to fall on his sword and assurances were given.
If he keeps his seat, he'll get another ministerial gig at the next reshuffle or next election.
If he doesn't there'll be a Seanad appointment or a spot on some board or other.
Not even the Shinners called him a cunt; no one wants the aggravation of a media circus rn.
This is a solid deposit in the favour bank by him, in not pulling a Troy.

like... RIGHT by them.

What's deal. I suppose it's handy in some ways, but... that aligned with the constant scandal and rumour mongering has to leave a mark.

She's riding WHO now? (15 minutes after saying hello to her in the pub.)
Free site to build your gaff and probably free babysitting too

A couple of Mrs. egg_'s cousins lived in the US for years, and one of them moved back with husband and kids around the start of the pandemic ... and when I say "moved back" they are living with her sister, right next door to her mother, with her brother and his family on the other side. I dunno how the Yank husband is handling it at all - going from living in cities his whole life to essentially moving into a commune of culshies 5km from the nearest village. AND working at home, so there's no escape

Yeah, and I think they all just seen what damage the Troy thing did, and it all ends the same anyways
He was told to fall on his sword and assurances were given.
If he keeps his seat, he'll get another ministerial gig at the next reshuffle or next election.
If he doesn't there'll be a Seanad appointment or a spot on some board or other.
Not even the Shinners called him a cunt; no one wants the aggravation of a media circus rn.
This is a solid deposit in the favour bank by him, in not pulling a Troy.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The point of families living on top of each other beyond the obvious planning permission and land availability is to offset the lack of services that are kinda the norm in urban settings. It's indulgent as all fuck in terms of mc mansions popping up every 80M but it is a kinda continuation of the 10-14 people in a cottage social support system that was our society for generations. I do think houses are wildly oversized now though, and the lawn / land waste thing is bullshit.

I googled 'mcmansion Ireland' and this American anti McMansion blog from 2017 came up.
these are insane but you get these dreadful things in cities too.

I spent nearly 23 years living in the countryside but I couldn't live somewhere without a bus service now.

I suppose if you count charity shops.

In fairness there's way worse places to live than Navan. Decent pubs, decent music scene, lots of good people, arts centre, good coffee shops, going to Dublin for a gig and you'll be home by midnight if you want. Less choice for nice things if you're into shopping but that's about it.
It used to bother me when Dubliners be like "oh fair play you came all that way for the gig". You wouldn't say that to someone from fucking Shankill.
Don't forget Men's Aid. I was at a group session there recently and there were men from Portarlington, Tullamore, Baileborough, Drogheda, Longford and Dublin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back