Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

I get mistaken for other skinny grey long haired fellas all the time. In my last job half my workmates wouldn't recognise me if I was wearing a hat
tabby-mctat-960x.png

About 30 years ago when I left home every time I visited people would ask "Are you in Dublin all the time?" (it's the local colloquialism). I used to be smug in my belief that they imagined I was up to all sorts of "front page of The Sunday World" shenanigans in the big smoke.

Years later when the younger generation started traveling the world and doing extraordinary things I felt like such a failure when people would ask me that. It felt like such a judgment.

God, thanks for bringing back the memories. When I went up to Dublin I had exactly this. They hate Dublin.

And then everyone will have a relative that is doing something that is, to me, much more interesting in a place that is, to me, much more interesting. Managing an oil rig in Kazakhstan is he? With his D3 in foundation maths? Good for him.

All getting paid more than me.

Few of these young people are actually around though. There's a wealth of talent and experience dispersed around the world.
I'll say from personal experience, an awful lot of these lads who are managing oil rigs in Kazakhstan aren't actually managing rigs in Kazakhstan. They're doing something in accounts, with a company tangentially associated with oil, in Uzbekistan, two years ago.

Like the ability to people to get completely the wrong idea of what you actually do for work is unreal. I got pulled aside on Saturday night for a quiet word, and she leaned in and quietly asked me "so is it the CIA or the FBI you're working for now?".

Like people hear fractions of truth from god knows where, and fill in any gaps with made up stuff, and then relay this through several more people until any truth that started is diluted well past recognizing.

The sister was talking to Tommy in the Lord Edward and his son is a UN photographer
Over in Sierra Leone at the moment (photographic evidence supplied)
I love hearing these stories about these fuckers going out and doing it

The sister was talking to Tommy in the Lord Edward and his son is a UN photographer
Over in Sierra Leone at the moment (photographic evidence supplied)
I love hearing these stories about these fuckers going out and doing it
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that no Irish people are off doing anything. I'm saying that we tend not to let reality come in the way of a good story when it comes to some of these reports.

For example my contract with the CIA was terminated years ago, once I'd poisoned that river in Bolivia to move those native lads off that land.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that no Irish people are off doing anything. I'm saying that we tend not to let reality come in the way of a good story when it comes to some of these reports.

For example my contract with the CIA was terminated years ago, once I'd poisoned that river in Bolivia to move those native lads off that land.
Print the legend!

Kazakhstan dude is actually in Kazakhstan. It's still called an oil rig even when it's on land apparently.

Other people might be like, a nurse in Leicester, or something, but I think that's pretty cool. There's a bit of exaggeration/misrepresentation that goes on though, for sure. I think it's a thing that people ask you what you do, so you tell them, but rarely will they ever tell you directly what they do. "arra shur, this and that, struggling along". Then I'm left feeling like a blaggard.

Anyway, you're definitely NSA.

A (Yank) lad who was on my team for years used to work for the NSA, before they turned evil according to him anyway. Would never ever talk about it, no matter how drunk he was

Mrs. egg_ had an ex-SAS lad as a field assistant for night work (on bats) once. Teeth ruined by being tortured by the Russians using electricity apparently ... I mean I'm not sure how trustworthy his stories were, but he defo was in the SAS. It's mad to think there are real people who really do shit like that

(... but then there's also Grade A bullshitters, some of whom I have also known)

Kazakhstan dude is actually in Kazakhstan. It's still called an oil rig even when it's on land apparently.

Other people might be like, a nurse in Leicester, or something, but I think that's pretty cool. There's a bit of exaggeration/misrepresentation that goes on though, for sure. I think it's a thing that people ask you what you do, so you tell them, but rarely will they ever tell you directly what they do. "arra shur, this and that, struggling along". Then I'm left feeling like a blaggard.

Anyway, you're definitely NSA.
My man is frontline in the deep state's War on Christmas 🤡

(not having a go here)

A (Yank) lad who was on my team for years used to work for the NSA, before they turned evil according to him anyway. Would never ever talk about it, no matter how drunk he was

Mrs. egg_ had an ex-SAS lad as a field assistant for night work (on bats) once. Teeth ruined by being tortured by the Russians using electricity apparently ... I mean I'm not sure how trustworthy his stories were, but he defo was in the SAS. It's mad to think there are real people who really do shit like that

(... but then there's also Grade A bullshitters, some of whom I have also known)

You can never trust ex-military lads. I've met Grade A bullshitters, and guys who've.....done.....things.

There was a guy in my (home home) local who'd been to Congo, Lebanon, Cyprus. And sure wasn't he a bit of a blow in to the area himself, married a local girl, but he's from the other end of (whisper it) Athlone.

I came back from the pub one night and said "wow, that guy has seen some shit"

My dad, drunkenly and hilariously said: "That lad, He's the the full seven eighths, the FULL seven eighths. and he'll never be eight eighths, (leaning over to me for emphasis), NEVER".

Are Dubliners the opposite of country folk when it comes to what people are doing? Instead of becoming more grandiose they downgrade what you do? My nan used to tell people I was in tech when I started in TCD and when I was getting my PhD, I was going to be a doctor but not a real doctor.

ugh...there's some deep-seated shit going on that I don't understand fully nor can I express.

Maybe I should've gone to Trinity. Then I'd be clever wouldn't I? Sorry, can't help it. It's just, there. And it's always "there". Just there. Where you can see it but not be able to do anything about it.

Are Dubliners the opposite of country folk when it comes to what people are doing? Instead of becoming more grandiose they downgrade what you do? My nan used to tell people I was in tech when I started in TCD and when I was getting my PhD, I was going to be a doctor but not a real doctor.

I haven't been outside Ireland since 1992 and dropped out of school aged 17 - I tell people this all the time.
haven't had a paid job since 1995 but I don't tell people that so easily.

Hm. I dunno. I'm not sure if it becomes more or less grandiose. Possibly less.

I know I normally tell people "I'm a coder", the second time they ask. The first time I pretend not to hear. (Same as I do when people ask me where I'm from, first question just doesn't get noticed. The second time I say "Dublin", that's usually the end of that conversation, and they just keep thinking I'm American anyway.)

If they ask specifically where I work for I can normally pass that one off with "medical stuff, this thing in America, that's why I'm working strange hours". Then I'll move the topic onto working strange hours.

I'll not really tell people exactly where I work because it's controversial in some people's minds, although if people are properly having a go at "vaccines" or "Fauci" or something I might just tell them after a while of them mouthing off to see how they react.
The problem is, in the country people know you're up to something. Like I'm clearly not working on the trawlers. Or a farm. So I'm up to something. If you say nothing, next thing you're working for the CIA. So, you have to say ENOUGH to keep things sane, but not so much as you're going to end up with a severed horses' head in your bed sort of thing.

there's an older english lad that drinks in the local below here. Small enough fella, old but wiry as fuck with forearms that would crush you. I've been told he's former UK special forces of some description. I don't really believe them, the lad in question seems too calm and ordinary and undamaged to be special forces.

There's ALSO a lad who was a retired Ra man, and who served a large amount of time. He does not drink in that same pub. He drinks up the road a bit. But, everyone knows he was locked away for things he did in the Ra, and he does all sorts of odd things. It's a bit sad in some ways. Other old villagers would be talking to you and simply stop talking as he approaches, and there's silence until he's back out of earshot. I had no idea what was going on until I was told why. Having said that, I drank in the pub he drinks in once (and once only), and he was clearly listening to every word I said. Including pausing with the pint at his lips to wait for the point of my sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back