Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

Decent music scene?
Yea, I'm currently working on two album covers for Navan based artists and I've done at at least 3 already. I can think of three studios. Big Covers town but scratch the surface.

Also, two great bakeries. Three if you count the one up by Aldi (I've never been in there). Actually, 4, the one in the shopping centre is good.

Oh, and a really good Educate Together National School.

Somewhere south of the Boyne really.
I’d like semi rural or a town.
Where I am now is about 10 mins drive to the nearest shop for milk and novelty has well and truly gone.
I don’t fancy being 70+ and driving on shitty backroads every day.
Like Robinstown or Dunderry, even Kilmessen.

Like Robinstown or Dunderry, even Kilmessen.
I think if I was going as north as Dunderry, I’d be better off sticking to Navan town itself.
Everything should be in place for me to get mortgage approval by March but realistically the summer would be better for me so I have a bit of time to drive around and look at areas.
Hives is really keen on me moving to Balbriggan when we’re done with the Pub, but it’s further from Blanch and still a trek to work. Also I just don’t want to be in Balbriggan.

Slane is on the Boyne rather than south of it, and as a village it's pretty nice. A good bakery with a cafe, nice walks along the boyne itself, an actual castle with actual West brits, a distillery and 3 pubs, one of which has music most nights and is my local. If we didn't have such a lovely house 5km outside it I'd probably move in to the village, and there's a good chance we will anyway when we get too old to maintain this place. Commuter bus from the village to Abbey St

I think if I was going as north as Dunderry, I’d be better off sticking to Navan town itself.
Everything should be in place for me to get mortgage approval by March but realistically the summer would be better for me so I have a bit of time to drive around and look at areas.
Hives is really keen on me moving to Balbriggan when we’re done with the Pub, but it’s further from Blanch and still a trek to work. Also I just don’t want to be in Balbriggan.
my brother-in-law who works in a job peripheral to the construction industry (and who is generally in the know), tells me that the arse is about to fall out of the property market. So, if you get mortgage approved before it does, that will put you in a very strong position to possibly buy somewhere that you wouldn't normally be able to.

Lots of ifs and buts I know, but a year after I bought my shoebox of a gaff, the arse fell out of the market and a mate of mine bought a gaff twice the size, just down the road, for the same price I paid for mine.

my brother-in-law who works in a job peripheral to the construction industry (and who is generally in the know), tells me that the arse is about to fall out of the property market. So, if you get mortgage approved before it does, that will put you in a very strong position to possibly buy somewhere that you wouldn't normally be able to.

Lots of ifs and buts I know, but a year after I bought my shoebox of a gaff, the arse fell out of the market and a mate of mine bought a gaff twice the size, just down the road, for the same price I paid for mine.
What's the rationale? Surely there are still too few houses?

What's the rationale? Surely there are still too few houses?
the rate of price growth is unsustainable and eventually everything becomes unaffordable. I'm seeing that in my estate. In summer 2022, 2 houses went up for sale the same week, both were sale agreed within 2 weeks. There are currently 4/5 houses up for sale, some of them have been up for months with no movement, because no one can afford them. The banks aren't lending enough to cover what a gaff costs. Therefore the demand part of the supply/demand equation falls away.

I'm also keeping a close enough eye on Daft and myhome at the moment, and there are lots of houses going up for sale. Even in December, which is typically a quiet month, there was more movement than normal.

And, it happened before.

Aye, we met with a financial adviser a couple of months ago, who said there was a property reckoning coming and to do nothing for now. With the increasing tech lay offs and massive post winter bills people will have to deal with, there's a big, big pinch on the way.

What I *imagine* might happen is a crash of the over inflated, super fancy houses, the ones I covet, whereas smaller, starter homes/apartments will have a much softer crash as the demand is still so super high.

the rate of price growth is unsustainable and eventually everything becomes unaffordable. I'm seeing that in my estate. In summer 2022, 2 houses went up for sale the same week, both were sale agreed within 2 weeks. There are currently 4/5 houses up for sale, some of them have been up for months with no movement, because no one can afford them. The banks aren't lending enough to cover what a gaff costs. Therefore the demand part of the supply/demand equation falls away.

I'm also keeping a close enough eye on Daft and myhome at the moment, and there are lots of houses going up for sale. Even in December, which is typically a quiet month, there was more movement than normal.

And, it happened before.

ah now, the boom will just get boomier this time...
a little bird up a tree in drumcondra told me..

Interest rates rising too. Our monthly mortgage payments have gone up by a fair bit
If you've been there a while, could be worth checking the LTV and seeing if you can get a decent fixed rate. We hopped from variable to a lower fixed rate for 5 years last summer, was relatively straightforward.

Aye, we met with a financial adviser a couple of months ago, who said there was a property reckoning coming and to do nothing for now. With the increasing tech lay offs and massive post winter bills people will have to deal with, there's a big, big pinch on the way.

What I *imagine* might happen is a crash of the over inflated, super fancy houses, the ones I covet, whereas smaller, starter homes/apartments will have a much softer crash as the demand is still so super high.

They've been saying that since before covid.
Yes the big million euro gaffs over in ranelagh might drop a little but as long as property investment is giving a massive return and As long as there aren't enough regular houses, there'll be high demand and high prices.

as long as property investment is giving a massive return
That'll change if people just don't have the money to buy places, between inflation and rising interest rates ... and anyway these things aren't rational, if a few big investors get the willies about the market then they'll all get panicky

Not saying I have any insight, apart from that these things aren't predictable

gym-life-seagull.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back