Moving to the sticks (5 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

We moved from suburban Dublin (just outside M50) to Dundalk in 2015 for the cheaper rent. Before that we lived in the city centre for a couple of years and I thought that would mean we’d go out more and do stuff, etc but we’re both homebodies and we never even went to the coffee shop on the corner so here suits us grand.

Other than it being difficult to find basic widgets and whatnot without resorting to Amazon (we don’t drive or have a car, which presents more issues than you’d think), we’re generally happy. Don’t ask us about the rigmarole trying to get home heating oil the last few weeks, though.

I like that we’re relatively close to Dublin and Belfast, and Newry is a half-hour bus trip. The bus to Dublin is a 20-minute walk away and then an hour to Whitehall on average, which is grand but I work remote so it’s not my commute.

We’re still renting because it’s only in the last few years we’ve been able to save anything close to a deposit, and I’m not enthused at the prospect of a side-eye from the bank manager if we inquire about a mortgage. Anyway, that’s my story.

After spending a few months looking at places in Dublin, it looks like I might be buying a place close to Navan.
All of my family are still based in Blanchardstown so not too bad a drive I guess. The only thing I know about Navan is that there’s a big Easons and a decent second hand book shop. That should be enough.

After spending a few months looking at places in Dublin, it looks like I might be buying a place close to Navan.
All of my family are still based in Blanchardstown so not too bad a drive I guess. The only thing I know about Navan is that there’s a big Easons and a decent second hand book shop. That should be enough.
I heard Navan is way better since @jonah left

I spent a couple of days in Kilkenny driving around and trying to get a feel for the different areas of the city (its really not that big). My conclusion is that there are some fugly houses in this country. Moving is something I really need to take my time with. I did go and view one house before xmas and it was perfect and I'd have moved in a heartbeat. But the timing was wrong. And the agent, who assured me it would be still on sale in january, went and sold the fuckin thing without getting back to me to let me know. Prick.

yeah, one thing which cycling around the countryside a lot, gives you a feel of, is how bad archictects can be. or maybe more accurately, how bad it can be to not use an architect.
and that some people will live in/buy any kind of hovel that those fuckers build

(though I fully appreciate that having any kind of a roof over your head these days is something not to be taken lightly)

I suppose if you count charity shops.

In fairness there's way worse places to live than Navan. Decent pubs, decent music scene, lots of good people, arts centre, good coffee shops, going to Dublin for a gig and you'll be home by midnight if you want. Less choice for nice things if you're into shopping but that's about it.
It used to bother me when Dubliners be like "oh fair play you came all that way for the gig". You wouldn't say that to someone from fucking Shankill.

In fairness there's way worse places to live than Navan. Decent pubs, decent music scene, lots of good people, arts centre, good coffee shops, going to Dublin for a gig and you'll be home by midnight if you want. Less choice for nice things if you're into shopping but that's about it.
Decent music scene?

Has a good baker too. By "close to" Navan do you mean in the actual countryside or a village nearby?
Somewhere south of the Boyne really.
I’d like semi rural or a town.
Where I am now is about 10 mins drive to the nearest shop for milk and novelty has well and truly gone.
I don’t fancy being 70+ and driving on shitty backroads every day.

I suppose if you count charity shops.

It used to bother me when Dubliners be like "oh fair play you came all that way for the gig". You wouldn't say that to someone from fucking Shankill.
No, because Shankill was in Dublin the last time I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back