Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

it all depends on your circumstances really.
I can’t remember ever seeing you drink at gigs, so you’d still be able to have nights in Dublin without feeling like you’re missing out.
You’ve got a partner that is all for it, family there, will be pretty much mortgage free and have an overall better life from the sounds of it.

For me moving was definitely not the smartest choice I’ve ever made and I’m going to be a lot poorer for the next 25 years because of it, but it was an experience.

it all depends on your circumstances really.
I can’t remember ever seeing you drink at gigs, so you’d still be able to have nights in Dublin without feeling like you’re missing out.
You’ve got a partner that is all for it, family there, will be pretty much mortgage free and have an overall better life from the sounds of it.

For me moving was definitely not the smartest choice I’ve ever made and I’m going to be a lot poorer for the next 25 years because of it, but it was an experience.
yeah, I'm not a drinker so thats not an issue at all. And yep, she's more up for it than I am. Thanks, Rita!

BOGGAZ 4 LIFE.

What's so great about Dublin anyway?!
For a city of its size it is desperately underwhelming and the powers that be couldn't have done a much better job sabotaging the place.
Going there 10-15 times a year is plenty for me. Going out for the sake of it is useless.
Up to last April I was working in an office in the city center and it was great. I used to love being central, heading out for a walk every day, lots of nice coffee places around etc. Since then I'm fully based at home and I've come to realise the only thing I still really liked about Dublin was being able to have the freedom to stroll around and soak it in, while having a base there. I live in the suburbs and its grand and all, but its the same soulless estate you'll get anywhere in the country where neighbours try to out-do one another while ignoring each others' existence. At the moment its just the job situation keeping me here. Once I get a bit more clarity on that, i'll be able to fully decide, and I'm hoping that clarity will arrive in the next couple of months.

BOGGAZ 4 LIFE.

For a city of its size it is desperately underwhelming and the powers that be couldn't have done a much better job sabotaging the place.
Going there 10-15 times a year is plenty for me. Going out for the sake of it is useless.

The opportunity for work/business. I don't think I could have done my last 13 years in any other part of the country.

For a city of its size it is desperately underwhelming
Same as any city - higher density of people means there are more people you have stuff in common with close by. Plenty of musicians where I live in culshie-land, but not so easy to find one with similar musical taste to me (just as an example)

Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

I want Dublin less and less for the city - it's kind of a shithole in some ways, great in others
I used to LOVE living in Dublin, fucking pubs everywhere, steady enough supply of gigs, and good cinemas
All of those things have lost their luster in one way or another
I love it for access to the mountains, Howth walks and sea swimming now.

As I get older what I care most about is time being active and with the people I love.
I'd be reluctant to move any farther away from my family than I am now - but if the centre of your wellbeing is being with the missus, then that's not really a problem for you.

Could you make this work by renting the place in Dublin for a year and hedging your bets?
This is a one-way decision. Once you're out of that price bracket, you're usually out for good.
If you're not having kids, there's less point in keeping a Dublin house.

From what i can tell from being on here, you're a pretty clear thinker; if you haven't thought of a dealbreaker reason to not do this, there probably isn't one.

Last thing. Your other half will know way more about what is gonna work for you two than a bunch of lads on a message board. Women are brilliant at this stuff.

Good luck

I want Dublin less and less for the city - it's kind of a shithole in some ways, great in others
I used to LOVE living in Dublin, fucking pubs everywhere, steady enough supply of gigs, and good cinemas
All of those things have lost their luster in one way or another
I love it for access to the mountains, Howth walks and sea swimming now.

As I get older what I care most about is time being active and with the people I love.
I'd be reluctant to move any farther away from my family than I am now - but if the centre of your wellbeing is being with the missus, then that's not really a problem for you.

Could you make this work by renting the place in Dublin for a year and hedging your bets?
This is a one-way decision. Once you're out of that price bracket, you're usually out for good.
If you're not having kids, there's less point in keeping a Dublin house.

From what i can tell from being on here, you're a pretty clear thinker; if you haven't thought of a dealbreaker reason to not do this, there probably isn't one.

Last thing. Your other half will know way more about what is gonna work for you two than a bunch of lads on a message board. Women are brilliant at this stuff.

Good luck
thanks a lot, thats a great contribution. So yeah, she's not Irish so definitely doesn't feel any emotional attachment to Dublin. Renting isn't an option I'd consider anymore. I did think of it but discounted it was moving me away from the original reasons for wanting to move (bigger house with no mortgage).

With interest rates going up again yesterday thats pushed me closer to a final decision. Once I get a little more clarity on the job situation I reckon I'll be pulling the trigger and going for it.

I should have said that this is all with a particular house in mind that's for sale and we both love. Everything about it is great - size, location, layout, price, so at this stage I think it would be a bigger surprise if we decided not to go for it.

if the centre of your wellbeing is being with the missus, then that's not really a problem for you
Me and Mrs. egg_ have been together 30+ years, and while we've had years-long periods of Princess Bride-style True Love (and not just when we were young) there have also been years-long bumpy periods, some of which were made worse by me having all my eggs in her basket. If you're moving someplace where you know hardly anyone I'd say you both ought to prioritise making other social connections there, just to take the pressure off one another a bit

BOGGAZ 4 LIFE.

I barely know anyone in dublin anymore — all my old friends moved out of the city at one point or another over the last decade or so. it makes me a bit glum sometimes when I’m back but there’s not much I can do about it. but good luck with whatever you decide, @rettucs

Me and Mrs. egg_ have been together 30+ years, and while we've had years-long periods of Princess Bride-style True Love (and not just when we were young) there have also been years-long bumpy periods, some of which were made worse by me having all my eggs in her basket. If you're moving someplace where you know hardly anyone I'd say you both ought to prioritise making other social connections there, just to take the pressure off one another a bit
my family had to move around rural Ireland multiple times when I was a kid.
several times before I was born and then three times when I was 11 to 13 in late 80's.
moving anywhere in Ireland was preferable to emigration.
my Dad worked in farming and when he changed jobs we always had to move but he never had any problem getting more work.
my folks are from west co. Dublin and co. Wexford but were living as far away from home as Co. Cork and Cavan (living in Sean Quinn area in 1970s was an eye opener) and eventually settled in north Tipp.

moving so many times with kids must have been hard on them but their relationship was always strong and that got them through. they eventually lost touch with nearly all their old friends from previous places (or only heard from them when someone died).

as far as us kids went, getting the moving out of the way early in life was better than it happening as teens.
none of us had close friends when we were young as we lived in isolated places.
none of my pals lived within 3 miles of me.

thanks a lot, thats a great contribution. So yeah, she's not Irish so definitely doesn't feel any emotional attachment to Dublin. Renting isn't an option I'd consider anymore. I did think of it but discounted it was moving me away from the original reasons for wanting to move (bigger house with no mortgage).

With interest rates going up again yesterday thats pushed me closer to a final decision. Once I get a little more clarity on the job situation I reckon I'll be pulling the trigger and going for it.

I should have said that this is all with a particular house in mind that's for sale and we both love. Everything about it is great - size, location, layout, price, so at this stage I think it would be a bigger surprise if we decided not to go for it.
Love it for you, man

You guys sound solid for each other, if there is anything you haven't thought of, you will just roll with it

I think his other major relationship is with his rothar.

We're all coming from different places
Next time I move, being close to my birth family (for want of a better term) will be very high on my list, when it was barely a consideration before

I've watched my parents decline and have seen the value of having siblings around - people that have known you from the get-go - around at the back end

That said, I have neither wife nor kids and wish for neither
So everyone's priorities are gonna be different

my family had to move around rural Ireland multiple times when I was a kid.
several times before I was born and then three times when I was 11 to 13 in late 80's.
moving anywhere in Ireland was preferable to emigration.
my Dad worked in farming and when he changed jobs we always had to move but he never had any problem getting more work.
my folks are from west co. Dublin and co. Wexford but were living as far away from home as Co. Cork and Cavan (living in Sean Quinn area in 1970s was an eye opener) and eventually settled in north Tipp.

moving so many times with kids must have been hard on them but their relationship was always strong and that got them through. they eventually lost touch with nearly all their old friends from previous places (or only heard from them when someone died).

as far as us kids went, getting the moving out of the way early in life was better than it happening as teens.
none of us had close friends when we were young as we lived in isolated places.
none of my pals lived within 3 miles of me.
''before I was born'' should have been ''before I started school'' (!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back