moving to america (1 Viewer)

thanks. i don't think it's simple at all. i work in immigration in london but i have not been able to figure out the US system. basically it's completely exclusive save for sponsorships of different kinds (including marriage), all of which are complicated and expensive. i did apply for phds there, and got on a waiting list for NYU, but unsurprisingly no one dropped out.
it's frustrating.

oh and then there's health insurance and all the rest of it...

by not simple I mean its a complete fucking bastard worth of paper work. Hundreds of pages. It took us months to get the application made, and then months more to process.

Heh. You applied for an NYU phd? Funny. I was an researcher in NYU for the last six years.

You can still try going as something else, and then re-apply for phd.
Health insurance will be dealt with by your employer. Dont worry about that too much.

what if i just go and over-stay? i fancy me some of that amnesty.

Well then you can't go home. When you finally do and they realize you won't be allowed back. I'm sure you could find some under the table work though if you're skilled in some type of labor. Or have tiny hands and don't mind low wages and hot cramped places.

Jill is correct. If you go and overstay you cannot leave until you get your green card by marriage, and that will be a nasty drawn out lawyery affair because you were naughty.

If you do leave, and try to return you will be refused probably. If you are refused they may not review any further applications to stay for years. By rights 10 years.

Its a big commitment.

What does she do? Would she consider coming this way? Depending on what she does for a living it might be easier for her to come to you. At least for a while... then both move to the states.

Ooh don't move while I brush that freedom-fry from your shoulder...

Can't let a good fry go to waste! Tasty freedom.

w_ketchup_14oz.gif

its far easier for a US person to come and stay in ireland and work than vice versa. Far easier, and much cheaper.
We did both. We ended up getting married here because of how fucking insanely hard dealing with this H / J shit, even for me with NYU basically doing it for me and paying for everything.

The thing is, you are basically owned by your job. NYU owned me. I cannot go off and find other work without doing another visa thing all over again. This is something that you need to keep in mind.

Her moving to Ireland would be waaaaaaay easier, get married, get your $$ together, apply and you should be back in 6 months say.

The thing is, you are basically owned by your job. NYU owned me. I cannot go off and find other work without doing another visa thing all over again. This is something that you need to keep in mind.

Trust me when I say this sucks unless you are lucky and love it. I would have left my job ages ago if I could have. They own me. If I quit, I have to go home. Granted, now I shouldn't complain because I have a job but I would have left it over a year ago if I could have. Miserable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back