moving to america (1 Viewer)

oh shit

how does one go about it?

should i try to get a job lined up? who would sponsor me for a visa? is the best option to marry?

i know some of you have done this. pls advice me please, thanks xo

ps she lives in san francisco and i'm visiting in two weeks. should i try to get a job lined up?

getting married is your best bet at the minute id imagine,unless you wanna join the green card lotto along with 50 million others,cousin done it recently and had no troubles.they will come round and check up on your living arrangements to make sure its not a sham marriage and your not able to leave the country for two years then as far as i know or if you do you gotta start your two year "term" again.i could be open to correction on that though.hope thats some help.
what part you looking at anyway?

the 1 year work visa is only if people have graduated from irish institutions, unfortunately there's no uk equivalent that i can see.

we'd be living in SF/oakland. gah. scary shit. i'll probably end up selling white tshirts to dope dealers out of a shopping trolly and snitchin to lesbian cops, knowing my luck.

my irish friend married her american fellah. they lived in san fran for a year abut are now back in kery for 6-12months becuaes of greeen card issues.
i dont know if that helps but i dont think the marriage visa thing is as easy as it looks

Good luck trying to fight others for a job. Is your degree in something at least 'lacking' in the states? American companies don't really like to sponsor unless it's really necessary because it's a pain in the ass to justify why they are not hiring an American plus it costs them money. It's also easier to find a job once there than before... I learned that while trying to get a job here from there.

The marriage thing takes a lot more time than one thinks...or so I've been told. If it were easy I'd offer myself to some Irishman for a citizenship swap. I want EU they can have US.

ETA: The other Jane would know for sure like someone said above.

My brother lived there illegally for years then "married" someone for residency. It took over 4 years for the process to come to completion but he did eventually get to stay and work legitimately.

whatever about US companies hiring in the past, I don't think it is happening much now. It's all about keeping it American now.

oh hai oh shit.

green card by marriage is not actually as simple as you might think. It also involves spending >3 grand up front.

If you have a phd, you should be able to get a post doc handily here. If you don't... well, you could try academia anyway and get a technician position.

The nice thing about Academia is they are non profits, therefor they pay less for J and H visas. Also, the lab may not have to pay at all, the university might cover it, and the lab would only have to pay your wages.

Other than that I think its pretty hard.
I mean, I don't nessesarily buy this Americans first business. People here are pragmatic, if an Austrian can do the job we hire an Austrian. My position now in a new company is one Irish, one Japanese, one American, one Austrian, and one Serb (I think.) So, its not jobs for the yanks only, its jobs for those that can do them.

However, if a company wants you they will have to pay a good few grand, and wait a few months. The lottery happened last month, and there were not enough applicants to fill it, so there are slots available. You have to find an employer who is willing to pay for you, and wait, and deal with lawyer bollocks. For this reason not for profits, particularly any that are large and have a division whose job it is dealing with this (like big third level institutions) might be your best shot.

edit, just so you know, you cannot change status while in the country. If you come on visa waiver, then get a job, and they do H1 or whatever for you, you must leave the US, and get the visa (I believe) in your home country embassy. You also cannot work for that company until you leave and return with visa. (by work I mean work for money, you can and probably should work for them "for free" just to make sure they understand that they do in fact need you. And by "free" I mean under the table.)

one more thing, work permits and visas are not the same thing. You can have a work permit and no visa, or an expired visa and be perfectly legit. The visa is only from travel outside the US.
Conversely you can have a visa, but if your work permit expires you must leave in.. 30 days, or 90. I forget. The take home is they are different bits of paper anyway.

thanks. i don't think it's simple at all. i work in immigration in london but i have not been able to figure out the US system. basically it's completely exclusive save for sponsorships of different kinds (including marriage), all of which are complicated and expensive. i did apply for phds there, and got on a waiting list for NYU, but unsurprisingly no one dropped out.
it's frustrating.

oh and then there's health insurance and all the rest of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back