Moving back to Ireland (1 Viewer)

Is it a good idea to move back to Ireland?

• Irish has no words for "yes" and "no"

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Orange

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Yes

• Nine

• Piss

• Royston Brady

• Total voters
I never realised it until I got home... but generally speaking Irish people are assholes.
Everything is terrible.
Everyone looks like they have just tasted a little drop of piss.
Rough rude and ignorant

Try London. Pig ignorant, passive aggressive, conceited, selfish and completely boring people who I'm convinced are fooling themselves into thinking they like their lives because it's "London" and that's supposed to mean something. Dublin is a breath of fresh air every time I come home.

I wouldn't have phrased it quite like that, but basically that is why I don't want my kiddo growing up here. Children and teens and the elderly are largely neglected and children especially are either treated like shit or spoiled rotten, but with no real concern for their well being, physical, emotional or societal.

There is a nasty undercurrent of begrudgery that would sooner see everything ruined than anyone enjoy anything nice, or good, or wholesome.

It's frequently a shock to come back here after travelling. I've been offered seats on trains, buses and underground in other countries just by virtue of being female while here in Ireland I was pushed aside, trampled and left standing on public transport while very heavily and obviously pregnant.

So, em... we have a nice temperate climate with very few extremes of weather, and it's green most of the year, and some of the country is very pretty - worth living here for all that.
What do you mean by neglect ?

I was a member of a generation of kids that were essentially raised in public by other kids. We woke, we dressed, we went out and played outside and we were dragged home kicking and screaming at night by our parents. I suppose it's a part of that it takes a village theory. The streets were by and large safe to play in because everyone looked out for each others kids. Anyone looking at it would probably have called that neglect. They'd be wrong. It was fucking great. Made me the well rounded go getter that I am today.

Kids aren't a problem. Parents are. Parents today are fucking terrified of kids and too thick to realise it.

And as for standing up for pregnant women. I've seen it and done it in Dublin, never seen it in London. Not that you'd get the chance because women here go around with badges that say "Baby on board" from the moment of fucking conception and think they have the right to your seat from day fucking one of their pregnancy. Fuck that.

You know who should stand on public transport ? Anyone dressed in a suit or other office attire. So when you see me and my brethren in steel cap boots and filthy work trousers, hi vis jackets etc, get the fuck up. We have actually been on our feet all fucking day. We deserve a fucking seat. You pencil pushing seat hogging cunts.

And It's not Ireland, it's people. People are fucking dreadful. Everywhere.

And The more you can isolate yourself in public, The more you can stare into your phone and play angry fucking birds or shout down it at your work mates about shit no one else wants to fucking listen to then the more you can just block out the rest of the world and behave like you are the centre of it.

Basically fuck people.

There's good and bad shit everywhere. I love living in Dublin these days, I love our neighbourhood, and I'm excited for our little one to grow up here. Bottom line, trust your instincts.

bottle.jpg

I was in playschool in 1988 and we were all given Dublin Millennium medals. I don't know why. Did everyone get one?

we got millenium 50p coins

Possibly the medals were cheaper than 50 pence each so it was more cost effective.

I still have the last broadcast from millenium 88fm on a tape at home somewhere. I used to love 'Dial a Number 1' that was on for 3 hours every sunday.

I've a tape somewhere with a Phantom FM test broadcast from the late 90's. They play Placebo and the Smashing Pumpkins.

Possibly the medals were cheaper than 50 pence each so it was more cost effective.

I've a tape somewhere with a Phantom FM test broadcast from the late 90's. They play Placebo and the Smashing Pumpkins.

That's nothing. I have recordings from Coast FM, the precursor to Phantom, including several episodes of the 1 hour Sunday show they used to do which listed and gave info on all the pirate radio stations in Dublin at the time.

That's nothing. I have recordings from Coast FM, the precursor to Phantom, including several episodes of the 1 hour Sunday show they used to do which listed and gave info on all the pirate radio stations in Dublin at the time.

I did a few shows on both coast fm and spectrum fm (immediate precursor to phantom), from a couple of garden sheds.

the coast fm logo stickers were just east coast fm stickers with "east" cut off!

They're subsidised by the crippling taxes imposed on urban workers.

source?

No wonder @Squiggle is mad to go

Yes, if it's true (it's not, according to my French friends in Bordeaux, Paris, Aix and Angers - who all feel they get value for the tax they pay) it would be a pleasant change from being an urban worker paying crippling taxes (with none of France's rent controls to keep cost of living manageable) to subsidise entire urban communities where unemployment is the family business going back generations and who have very little hope of ever changing career.

High levels of taxation are not, of themselves, an issue. Sweden has some of the highest taxation rates in the world, but is one of the richest nations in the world, with a very high standard of living because the redistribution of taxes is done in a way that benefits its citizens more equally than in many other countries, Ireland included, and that encourages people to work and lead productive lives, while providing them with every assistance required to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back