Movie Review: Extra Ordinary (1 Viewer)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
cropped-Extra-Ordinary-1.jpeg

Homegrown spooky comedy Extra Ordinary is let down by a dire lead performance, writes @MacDara Conroy

Read more...

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work someplace where the radio was on all day* and whenever Maeve Higgins came on I'd reach for the headphones. I couldn't understand what was supposed to be funny about her. Of course maybe she's improved since (that's at least 10 years ago)

(* that I subsequently wrote a song about, as yiz know)

Do man. Everyone I know who's seen it loved it. Do you like Father Ted and the Exorcist was the best description.

I saw it, I thought it was alright. It's not really that funny, small laughs for the most part.
I think the best thing about it was the editing, which was used very well and also well done in both visual and sound. I didn't like the music so much, it was all fairly standard fare, but like I said the sound editing/foley stuff was well done mostly.
I do think the actors did a very good job with what they had, and I get what the review says about Maeve Higgins having the worst performance of them all, BUT at the same time it seems to me like maybe her character is the one that kind of has the least to work with and I'm not sure how much she could have done about that. And maybe that character will appeal a lot more to a certain kind of person, it's just not shit I find that funny. Yer man playing his possessed wife was brilliant on the other hand, I'd say that was the best thing about the whole film, and the satanist lad was really good too, you wonder would they not have just got Pierce Brosnan to play himself for that one.
Oh also some of the shots were really nice too, good cinematography.
Overall I'd say enjoyable enough film that is pretty well made, I don't think there's anything in the performances that ruins the film. What is pretty clear though is that although it's all well done, there's a lack of comic timing all round that stops it being hilarious. I think that comes from the direction mostly, the directors do a good job with other aspects and there is some good creative editing that works very well but it feels like it's missing the great comedy actors and the timing being nailed down it for it to be as funny as it wants to be.

‘Execrable’ is a strong word, although to be fair Maeve is starring in movies rather than writing movie reviews for five pricks on Thumped so i reckon she’ll survive this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Both of them were in another band together with lots of Thumped heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back