Mothers of Invention - Uncle Meat (1 Viewer)

Zappa was genius, a generational talent, a trailblazer and a relentless workaholic. Like a lot of records of his, i'll take a few tracks off this and move on. Zappa definitley needed an editor but also would have fired one. the workflow he had over the course of a year basically things had to be released.

I understand that some of you need your pop stars to be nice guys - i mean bros were fucking lovely guys right? Some musicians are, some musicians aren't - as long as they aren't running a pedo ring i dont think it's that relevant, and at large find the personality cults in pop a huge distraction from the music. fact of the matter is a huge percentage of pop writers use some pretty little starlet to front the music so they don't have to have a personality - with zappa its always the human laid bare - and at large people are taking maybe two hours of video footage and deciding he's mean rather than, i dunno, working a tour with him or making a record with him. Sure he was relentless, was he nice or not? I don't give a fuck.

Zappa was genius, a generational talent, a trailblazer and a relentless workaholic. Like a lot of records of his, i'll take a few tracks off this and move on. Zappa definitley needed an editor but also would have fired one. the workflow he had over the course of a year basically things had to be released.

I understand that some of you need your pop stars to be nice guys - i mean bros were fucking lovely guys right? Some musicians are, some musicians aren't - as long as they aren't running a pedo ring i dont think it's that relevant, and at large find the personality cults in pop a huge distraction from the music. fact of the matter is a huge percentage of pop writers use some pretty little starlet to front the music so they don't have to have a personality - with zappa its always the human laid bare - and at large people are taking maybe two hours of video footage and deciding he's mean rather than, i dunno, working a tour with him or making a record with him. Sure he was relentless, was he nice or not? I don't give a fuck.

I like many an asshole musician.
I just think zappa is fucking boring.

I appreciate his genius and musicianship and insane work ethic, he clearly despised pop music and anyone stupid enough to get anything from it though. Which, you know, fine, I think drone and noise music is a fucking scam but people love it so whatever. I hope this album therefore is him doing music he likes rather than him doing music he hates.

as long as they aren't running a pedo ring i dont think it's that relevant, and at large find the personality cults in pop a huge distraction from the music
Isn't there a massive cult of personality around Zappa himself?

I like a good bit of his music, mostly for its wild originality, but I'd say I would have hated being in his band

edit: he had nothing to say lyrically at all though really, apart from "everything is stupiiiiiid"

Last edited:
Isn't there a massive cult of personality around Zappa himself?

I like a good bit of his music, mostly for its wild originality, but I'd say I would have hated being in his band

edit: he had nothing to say lyrically at all though really, apart from "everything is stupiiiiiid"
A; only if you want there to be one.

b; i would have loved it, i don't have the chops though

What? Either there is or there isn't, surely. Or is this a reference to "you'll be absolutely free, only if you wa-ant to be"?

As for B - much as I like (some of) the guy's music, for me that wouldn't make up for being bossed around by an egomaniac workaholic

Some musicians love to work hard. wether there is a cult of personality or if such a thing exists, taking it into your perception of music that was made by a guy who is too dead to have any control or influence over said cult as part of your package of perception is definitely your choice. I listened to zappa for years before i read anything about him, and even then i kinda think more and more those amplifications are a distraction. I see a guy born to compose who was either fortunate or unfortunate enough to end up being born when he was - that article is decent enough read in terms of contextualising the music in the era it was made in, the constraints of finance etc etc.

Like in your case you've found a cool voice through the piano in recent years, and your band stuff which has been going for ages was a great avenue for your creativity when it emerged, but in different environs or a different era those paths could have happened in the reverse order, like if you emerged when sheet music sales were the peak of realeasing music. Not poking at you beyond trying to look at the composer reacting to the world they are given.

Anywhoo with zappa i wouldn't argue about the lyrics, sometimes he makes me lol - a lot of the time they are a necessity of the composition (filler) - but i love the detail of it all - i like the thing with 'framing' he did - i totally ripped it off in later years - that is all the band members were given frames to improvise in - he had hand signals and stuff for this, so like he waves his hand and the whole giant ensemble know they are gonna just follow whatever musician is put to the fore, he waves his hand again and they are playing some wild half impossible composition.

“Enjoy my steaming bowl of assumption soup” is what Zappa would have titled that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back