Most annoying Commentator (2 Viewers)

it really annoys me sky think we want to listen to martin tyler (who i always disliked since he was on itv) all the time with andy gray.some of their commentators they barely use are way better than tyler. itv's commentators are annoying too. i don't know how quinn gets jobs on tv he always struck me as a dull but slighty likeable half wit. he had a few exceptional seasons about 90-91 for city but apart from that he was not outstanding and he should have quit a few season earlier.hamilton makes quinn sound like houghton by comparison.

Jaysis, I was very harsh. I always remember slagging off Quinn for some reason 15 years ago and regretting it.
he's awesome ! and he's a good pundit - especially for a nice lad.
every so often he says something unintentionally funny but he's harmless and not afraid to laugh at himself.
Sorry oh Great and Mighty Quinn.
TV3 or whatever it's called, football coverage has improved out of all recognition in the last decade or so.

Tyler is OK. Really working with Andy Gray (the worst of the worst) for years did him no favours in my mind.
Bryan Hamilton was boring alright.
Don't hear Razor Ray much these days.
Ronnie Whelan only works in the media 'cause he was a hell of player - amazing he's still on RTE at this stage.
Clive Tyldesley like Andy Gray and Richard Keyes was appalling and he must have the only person who was outraged when ITV let him go.
not having the same commentators all the time is essential.

I wonder how long Micah Richards will last as a pundit ?
generally the women pundits are slightly better than the men.

Yeah TV3 is where it's at right now, Quinn is pretty good but basically at the minute whoever has Brian Kerr will automatically be a million miles in front of everybody else. Kerr is a total fucking legend. I find Damian Delaney a bit annoying at times, but he's not the worst cunt, he reminds me a bit of early Richie Sadlier when he was trying a bit too hard, but Sadlier is really good nowadays usually. RTEs coverage is bland as fuck now though compared to TV3, they actually do better on the LOI matches they cover when they let the former LOI guys have a go.

Yeah TV3 is where it's at right now, Quinn is pretty good but basically at the minute whoever has Brian Kerr will automatically be a million miles in front of everybody else. Kerr is a total fucking legend. I find Damian Delaney a bit annoying at times, but he's not the worst cunt, he reminds me a bit of early Richie Sadlier when he was trying a bit too hard, but Sadlier is really good nowadays usually. RTEs coverage is bland as fuck now though compared to TV3, they actually do better on the LOI matches they cover when they let the former LOI guys have a go.

I think Duffer is good on RTE.

I find Tommy Martin hard to listen to, a real drag on Virgin's coverage

I wonder how long Micah Richards will last as a pundit ?
generally the women pundits are slightly better than the men.

His positivity and over-praising is starting to wear thin. Laughs at everything. He is likeable. But is he necessary? Dion Dublin already fits that personality type. Dublin with Giles and Dunphy would have offered an intriguing contrast, but I get the feeling they would have pecked away at him endlessly.

Re: Female pundits, etc

I love Alex Scott. Definitely one for the 'I have the horn for' thread big time. Find of the decade for female pundits - personable, and seems to be getting hotter all the time pushing the boat out lately with black leather pants, two inch pumps and dark lipstick. Oh yeah, baby.

Whilst I'm at it, Eilidh Barbour, that Scottish lass who does Final Score. She seems like the kind of hard-living, gutsy type who'd put you through your paces.

On the other side of things - what dreary, lifeless swamp did they draw Karen Carney out of? Shouldn't be on tv. Dreadful.

Re: Whelan, he must have been unspooled from the same tissue of ex-Liverpool bitterness and misery that brought us Jim Beglin. Beglin is the absolute pits.

Re: commentators:

Brian Kerr. Probably the best. Actually makes good comments. Nice musical accent helps matters greatly.

I quite like listening to Glenn Hoddle. He doesn't necessarily talk less shite than the others, but he's easy on the ear.

Michael Owen is surely the worst. Occasionally tries to crack awful jokes. Steve MacManaman is the more appealing inverse of Owen.

Tough on the ear: Heard Troy Deeney on bbc six live recently. File under unpalatable accents. Apart from that, there was no commentary on the actual game. Wolves vs Chelsea, I think it was.

I hope Robbie Fowler is out of the pundit game. He always looks dead uncomfortable. He's like the male Karen Carney.

Attachments

• Alex_Scott_BBC_Sport_01_06_2019_(cropped).jpg
    Alex_Scott_BBC_Sport_01_06_2019_(cropped).jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 4
  • eilidh barbour.jpg
    eilidh barbour.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 4
There's some lad with an east sounding accent on the gaa the last while. Sometimes his excitement seems sorta forced. Like i i get that some of the best GAA lads have amazing flow when things are happening. This guy sounds kinda clunky in a way that he really really wants to be used in a montage. When he chills out he knows his stuff though. Show him this thread ann.

of the satellite channels I only have Eurosport and the Sky Sports ones.
also ITV doesn't work on the Sky box I have.
I never transitioned to getting the others and so while i was well up on foreign soccer
in the 90's to early 2000's after that I'm a bit lost:

I remember the days 30 years ago...
would come home from school Friday and watch Argentine Football highlights on Screensport
w/ Bielsa's Newells and Batistuta Boca (at the time his strike partner Diego Lattore was more highly rated)

Saturday afternoon George Hamilton and John Giles commentate on an English Division game -
RTE (Network 2) on 'Sports Stadium'. in the mid 80's when RTE started to show matches on Saturday they would often show a horse race at 2:55 and miss the first few minutes of the match !!!
e.g. the time Liam O'Brien was sent off for Man U at So'ton after 85 seconds in January 1987.

RTE's coverage of The LOI at the time was very poor I only remember the FAI CUP Final being live and
there was no regular highlights programme

Unfortunately we didn't have the British terrestrial channels here out in the sticks.
so no live Sunday afternoon matches unless I went to see my Grandparents and I hardly ever saw MOTD on Saturday night growing up - I doubt I saw it more than 5 times.

then Monday about 5pm on Eurosport: 'Eurogoals' -
all the goals from top flight in France, Spain, Holland plus some Belgian n' Portuguese stuff (?)
lots of Papin, Bergkamp, Cryuff's Barca etc.

Monday (?) night on RTE 2: Serie A highlights !!!
commentated on by Martin Tyler. began at start of 89-90 season and lasted at least three years (?)
with Italia '90 coming up could'nt believe it when I heard we would get to see Maradona and the boys
ever week. loadsa great memories -

goalkeeper Michelangelo Rampula (Cesena) coming up for a corner and scoring (something unheard of previously. we heard about it Sunday night but had to wait to see it),

Torino's Pasquale Bruno refusing to leave the pitch after being sent off in the Turin derby.
a former Juve player and pal of Ian Rush he kept walking off and then coming back on to try having a go with ref again - classic stuff. that Torino side was their last exceptional team with Scifo, Lentini, Marcheghiani, Martin Vasquez...

oh - Maradona, Careca, Alameo, Zola, Baggio, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Matthaeus, Klinsmann, Voller, Caniggia, Vialli, Mancini, Maldini, Baresi, Bergomi, Balbo, Zenga, Skuhravy, Francescoli were pretty good too.

soon to be defunct channel Screensport had the rights to the Copa America in 1991 (which made Batistuta) and I think Spanish Liga highlights and things like the Swedish 1991 end of season tournament (pre Euro '92 preparations) e.g. Sweden 4-3 Yugoslavia in Stockholm.

Eurosport had the Africa Cup of Nations and if you were stuck, all the big international tournaments
(Euros and World Cups) and extensive international qualifier highlights.

all you needed to get both channels was an Astra satellite dish and a box.
no subscription just a few £ hundred to have it installed with no further costs.

prior to Champions League and when English teams were banned in Europe there was little UEFA
club competition on TV apart from highlights on Saturday's. so a radio was handy on Wednesday nights.

throw in copy of Worlds Soccer magazine every month where you would read about Kaiserslautern winning the Bundesliga, Eric Cantona's disciplinary problems, the wisdom of Monaco's professor Arsene Wenger, Burlusconi and Bernard Tapie's plans for football on TV and Anderlecht's 16 year old boy wonder Nii Lamptey 'The New Pele...' and you were well set.

so with the exception of Germany it was easy to keep up with European football.

when Sky Sports started we got it straight away they only had one channel but had they rights to the Bundesliga in 1991-92 where Frankfurt (w/ the immense Tony Yeboah), Stuttgart and Dortmund began the final day level on points.

later in the 90's Channel 4 Serie A coverage (w/ James Richardson and his great Gazzetta highlights magazine show on Sat. morning) and Sky's La Liga coverage featuring Roberto Martinez, were big faves with me but as more and more channels came into the fray in the 2000's I began to lose contact
with what was going on outside England.

e.g. a few years ago I read Daniele Conti (son of Bruno) was retiring after 450 plus games for Cagliari, mostly in Serie A. being honest I never saw the guy play once - didn't know he existed.
(he looks exactly like his dad)

the best example of the fragmentation of football on TV is the FA Cup. this is the main reason IMO
that the competition has been run into the ground.
you need a stupid amount of pay TV channels I don't have and I've long ago said - '' no thanks''.

Last edited:
Ray Houghton's favourite phrase is "get it down the wing and get crosses into the box". He says it about 10 times every game. If he was a manager, his team talk would just be "get it down the wing and get crosses into the box".

Sunday Football Italia on Channel 4 was amazing in the 90s, fuckin loved that shit
Znedek Zeman (Czech who was stranded on holiday in Italy in 1968 aged 20 visiting his uncle a former Juve player. Zeman became a youth coach in his 20's and came up through the ranks gradually before making his name at Foggia where Beppe Signori's goals took them from Serie C to taking Serie A by storm on their debut in 91-92) is sort of the Bielsa of Italy turned anti doping campaigner in the early 2000's.
Anyway there a match about 1998 on Sunday on C4 where his Roma side showed the pros and cons of attacking high tempo football - they annihilated some team and went in 4-0 up at the break. But with 30 mins left they already started to look tired and were dead on their feet by the end and barely hung on to win 4-3.

Getting very tired happened like this happened regularly with Zeman's teams. But by contrast teams playing like this today don't seem to get fatigued...

Roma used to play 4-3-3 which was unusual then - Montella, Totti and Delvecchio upfront.

As far as commentators go they had Ray Wilkins who seemed to be back in London ? And pundits like Paul Elliot (ex Pisa) and Luther Blissett in the stadium with James Richardson.
I don't get to see him much these days but Richardson was the best football presenter I've seen.

Lee Dixon is a dreadful whiny Tory. Can’t stand him.

Graham Le Saux talks a good game. I’ve plenty of time for Glenn Hoddle too - there’s a kind of poetry to how he observes football.

Monday (?) night on RTE 2: Serie A highlights !!!
commentated on by Martin Tyler. began at start of 89-90 season and lasted at least three years (?)
with Italia '90 coming up could'nt believe it when I heard we would get to see Maradona and the boys
ever week. loadsa great memories -
I loved this too. It was indeed on the Monday night. They used to have extended highlights of the main game of the week and then they'd fly through the goals from the other matches and then show the table. Growing up watching long-ball football on muddy pitches in England, there was something exotic and sexy about Italian football at the time with the best players in the world playing on decent pitches in front of huge crowds with pyrotechnics. My abiding memory of the round-up show is Gabriel Batistuta and Daniel Fonseca scoring 30 yard screamers every week.

Znedek Zeman (Czech who was stranded on holiday in Italy in 1968 aged 20 visiting his uncle a former Juve player. Zeman became a youth coach in his 20's and came up through the ranks gradually before making his name at Foggia where Beppe Signori's goals took them from Serie C to taking Serie A by storm on their debut in 91-92) is sort of the Bielsa of Italy turned anti doping campaigner in the early 2000's.
Anyway there a match about 1998 on Sunday on C4 where his Roma side showed the pros and cons of attacking high tempo football - they annihilated some team and went in 4-0 up at the break. But with 30 mins left they already started to look tired and were dead on their feet by the end and barely hung on to win 4-3.

Getting very tired happened like this happened regularly with Zeman's teams. But by contrast teams playing like this today don't seem to get fatigued...

Roma used to play 4-3-3 which was unusual then - Montella, Totti and Delvecchio upfront.

As far as commentators go they had Ray Wilkins who seemed to be back in London ? And pundits like Paul Elliot (ex Pisa) and Luther Blissett in the stadium with James Richardson.
I don't get to see him much these days but Richardson was the best football presenter I've seen.
I recall Roma went 3-4-3 for a good while and all, they were one of the best teams to watch in Italy partly because they'd concede as many as they'd score haha

As far as commentators go they had Ray Wilkins who seemed to be back in London ?
After he passed away I remember AC Jimbo telling a story of how when Peter Brackley tried to get house insurance in the 90's he was quoted some absolutely absurd figure because he was a public figure who did a lot of international travel and people would know when he was in Italy. Brackley had to explain to the insurance guy that he just traveled in to London to commentate on the matches in a studio off of a live feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back