MORRISSEY IS GOD (1 Viewer)

Britain First is a dangerous group which supports, be it implicitly or explicitly, violence against people, predominantly people being identified as Islamic. The corollary of this is violence against anyone who doesn't look "British". They are whispering in the ears of people who beat up black and Asian people in Britain. That's all you need to know about them.

By openly supporting them and encouraging people to join him in his support, which Morrissey is doing, can't be labelled as ill-judged. It's profoundly stupid and dangerous. Morrissey knows he has a large audience and he knows what he says is taken seriously by people.

He doesn't have to say he supports them. As far as I can tell he's only doing this to get people to talk about him. Trying to legitimise a far-right group to generate controversy and publicity is just disgraceful.

Edit: To add to this... Morrissey is making the headline "I support Britain First" and then demands people read more in to what he's saying, trying to imply this is a reasonable position. It's not and trying to draw people in to this kind of discussion, where far-right groups are being legitimised is a waste of time and energy. Sometimes things are simple: one of those is groups like Britain First are bad and there's no grey area or debates to be had.
As a coda to this - 'ill-judged' of course, means lacking careful consideration - which is what I think Morrissey has done in this regard. I agree with much of what you write - but really my point is that I am not going to throw Morrissey out because I don't agree with everything he says. That's it, really. And 'For Britain' (as that party is called, and horrifyingly run by an Irish woman) is a terrible political party. I am not debating that. My issue is that everything else gets lost. And as I mentioned earlier, I love Morrissey. It's complicated. And it's my prerogative. And there is no grey area in that, either. Or that Thumped is great :)

Morrissey doesn't care, the telling quote from that interview is that he has never voted in his life. The man doesn't know what he's talking about, he's an artist that is so good at certain things that people believe his skills must apply across the board and they don't, his politics are either at the level of a dumb racist or a contrarian teenager.

Britain First is a dangerous group which supports, be it implicitly or explicitly, violence against people, predominantly people being identified as Islamic. The corollary of this is violence against anyone who doesn't look "British". They are whispering in the ears of people who beat up black and Asian people in Britain. That's all you need to know about them.

By openly supporting them and encouraging people to join him in his support, which Morrissey is doing, can't be labelled as ill-judged. It's profoundly stupid and dangerous. Morrissey knows he has a large audience and he knows what he says is taken seriously by people.

He doesn't have to say he supports them. As far as I can tell he's only doing this to get people to talk about him. Trying to legitimise a far-right group to generate controversy and publicity is just disgraceful.

Edit: To add to this... Morrissey is making the headline "I support Britain First" and then demands people read more in to what he's saying, trying to imply this is a reasonable position. It's not and trying to draw people in to this kind of discussion, where far-right groups are being legitimised is a waste of time and energy. Sometimes things are simple: one of those is groups like Britain First are bad and there's no grey area or debates to be had.
I completely agree with you here. Even as a Morrissey die-hard, I find this behavior of his unforgivable and honestly vile, insulting and hateful. I won't be buying any more of his records, supporting him or openly talking about being a fan of his work. I dunno what's gotten into him.

As a coda to this - 'ill-judged' of course, means lacking careful consideration - which is what I think Morrissey has done in this regard. I agree with much of what you write - but really my point is that I am not going to throw Morrissey out because I don't agree with everything he says. That's it, really. And 'For Britain' (as that party is called, and horrifyingly run by an Irish woman) is a terrible political party. I am not debating that. My issue is that everything else gets lost. And as I mentioned earlier, I love Morrissey. It's complicated. And it's my prerogative. And there is no grey area in that, either. Or that Thumped is great :)
I think you can love and respect someone and still openly distance yourself from them and their hateful politics. There's a good podcast about it... I Love You but I Hate Your Politics, I think its called.

Morrissey doesn't care, the telling quote from that interview is that he has never voted in his life. The man doesn't know what he's talking about, he's an artist that is so good at certain things that people believe his skills must apply across the board and they don't, his politics are either at the level of a dumb racist or a contrarian teenager.
Like many poets, he's excellent with verse, prose and metaphor... abhorrent with politics.

Morrissey has been like this for a LONG LONG time, so I hardly think ill-judged covers it. I personally think he's an abhorent piece of shit and people spend an inexplicable amount of time bending over backwards to find loopholes to explain his decades long disgusting behaviour... but thats just my opinion.

No platform for hate, end of.

Morrissey has been like this for a LONG LONG time, so I hardly think ill-judged covers it. I personally think he's an abhorent piece of shit and people spend an inexplicable amount of time bending over backwards to find loopholes to explain his decades long disgusting behaviour... but thats just my opinion.

No platform for hate, end of.
Its so true. Because of his cultural status he gets away with murder.

If anyone wants to play thumped morrisey bingo today, read these and see how many A: make you (positive react) B: make you (negative react)

I scored 10 from column A.

The Quietus | Opinion | Black Sky Thinking | Why It's Time To Ditch Your Morrissey-Loving Friend

daycent piece.

Only retrospectively did it become clearer that The Smiths had, indeed, represented a significant departure in post-punk history. Almost immediately after punk, post punk/indie had entered into an immediate and fertile dialogue with black music, yielding everything from The Pop Group, Cabaret Voltaire, A Certain Ratio to UB40, The Specials, The Beat, ABC, PiL, etc. The Smiths represented the point at which "indie" reverted to a depleted Caucasian-ness, the dreary spawn of which constituted most, of not all, of NME's C86 tape. The dialogue with black music didn't end but it was considerably lessened by the influence of The Smiths.

I'm in the very neutral space of having never been a particular fan of him or the Smiths so I can just as easily write off his 80's lyrics as his modern stuff. Come on like, the lyrics to Panic SUUUUUCK. Popstars whinging about the charts, gimme a break*

*(but wait, no, it's actually a good song accurately capturing people who read the music papers taking all the pop charts stuff far too seriously,)

The Quietus | Opinion | Black Sky Thinking | Why It's Time To Ditch Your Morrissey-Loving Friend

daycent piece.

The Smiths represented the point at which "indie" reverted to a depleted Caucasian-ness, the dreary spawn of which constituted most, of not all, of NME's C86 tape. The dialogue with black music didn't end but it was considerably lessened by the influence of The Smiths.

*(but wait, no, it's actually a good song accurately capturing people who read the music papers taking all the pop charts stuff far too seriously,)

The Smiths IMHO are one of the great bands of the last 40 years. Does every band have to have a "black music" influence?

The Smiths IMHO are one of the great bands of the last 40 years. Does every band have to have a "black music" influence?
The better answer is that Johnny Marr took loads from "black" music for his music, what are yiz on about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back