MORRISSEY IS GOD (1 Viewer)

All i'm saying is The Smiths would have been at least 1 million times better if they had KRS-One rapping on every track.

apart from that one bit

that is the bit that morrisey touched

the-smiths-67d70a153a8e4b2d80953393862ac0dc79c2fb6f.jpg

The Quietus | Opinion | Black Sky Thinking | Why It's Time To Ditch Your Morrissey-Loving Friend

daycent piece.

Only retrospectively did it become clearer that The Smiths had, indeed, represented a significant departure in post-punk history. Almost immediately after punk, post punk/indie had entered into an immediate and fertile dialogue with black music, yielding everything from The Pop Group, Cabaret Voltaire, A Certain Ratio to UB40, The Specials, The Beat, ABC, PiL, etc. The Smiths represented the point at which "indie" reverted to a depleted Caucasian-ness, the dreary spawn of which constituted most, of not all, of NME's C86 tape. The dialogue with black music didn't end but it was considerably lessened by the influence of The Smiths.

I'm in the very neutral space of having never been a particular fan of him or the Smiths so I can just as easily write off his 80's lyrics as his modern stuff. Come on like, the lyrics to Panic SUUUUUCK. Popstars whinging about the charts, gimme a break*

*(but wait, no, it's actually a good song accurately capturing people who read the music papers taking all the pop charts stuff far too seriously,)
@jonah Please don't leave me.

The Smiths IMHO are one of the great bands of the last 40 years. Does every band have to have a "black music" influence?

Of all the descriptions of music that annoy me. The idea of describing music as black or white is probably at the top of that list.

( I've been accused of racist tendencies in the past for not liking rap music. Seriously)

Of all the descriptions of music that annoy me. The idea of describing music as black or white is probably at the top of that list.

( I've been accused of racist tendencies in the past for not liking rap music. Seriously)
It's an inexact shorthand that I think makes more sense in the USA because their radio used to be much more segregated than the UK/Irish charts.

Having said that, there's a certain truth to (predominantly) white indie fans who only like their black musicians in the past, preferably in black and white - 50's rock and roll, 60's soul, 70's funk, reggae and disco, 80's "golden age" hip-hop.

Still lost,but no matter. I never like Jacko or Morrisey anyway.
Oh ok, it's just a phrase that came out of the internet. It's like cancelling a show, people cancel their previous musical"fav" because of their actions, and the show/their music is no longer in syndication.... on your record player.

It's an inexact shorthand that I think makes more sense in the USA because their radio used to be much more segregated than the UK/Irish charts.

Having said that, there's a certain truth to (predominantly) white indie fans who only like their black musicians in the past, preferably in black and white - 50's rock and roll, 60's soul, 70's funk, reggae and disco, 80's "golden age" hip-hop.

Jesus, modern music is shite

That's sounds a bit like me. Does this mean 'l'm a racist?
I need to know....

Haha!! What does cancelled mean?
theres a lad on twitter called Limmy who is funny (I didn't used to find him funny but now I find him funny). He's busy cancelling stuff once it transpires said stuff is racist, or any of the kinds of phobic that make one deserving of being cancelled.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back