Mongrel and Foggy Notions RIP (1 Viewer)

I always found foggy notions a bit opaque and humourless. I hope if they do start up a website they take a leaf out of Pitchfork' s book and include the viewer and not be afraid to crack a smile every now and then.

mongrel wasn't amazing,started off pretty badly but had some funny enough stuff as of late.
foggy notions i never really got into though,just seemed to cover the most obvious stuff that was never to my taste.

the only criticism I'd have of FN was that it seemed to struggle to fill all the pages in it. There was a lot of padding out going on with ads for gigs that happened the weeks or month before. But I was never really that bothered by it. Maybe it should have been a smaller (less pages) magazine. That might have solved some of those problems.

the only criticism I'd have of FN was that it seemed to struggle to fill all the pages in it. There was a lot of padding out going on with ads for gigs that happened the weeks or month before. But I was never really that bothered by it. Maybe it should have been a smaller (less pages) magazine. That might have solved some of those problems.

I never read the ads in any music magazine and often wonder if they are worth the cost to those involved. I would have thought that most readers of Foggy Notions, Uncut etc, don't need the magazine to tell them who is playing soon...?

Its a shame about Foggy Notions, they always looked asthetically pleasing, lined up on the shelves in Tower etc..

I liked Foggy Notions, at least the graphical style and choice of stuff they covered.. some of the articles did seem a bit low on content, like they'd only had 10 minutes to talk to the particular person and had to stretch it out to fill a few pages. It seems fucking impossible to keep a print magazine about music going here (unless you're Hot Press, of course) - those A.U. and State people must be pretty optimistic types..

It seems fucking impossible to keep a print magazine about music going here (unless you're Hot Press, of course) - those A.U. and State people must be pretty optimistic types..

Jesus, the way people go on about publishing in this country, you'd think they were talking about alchemy. Here's the 'secret' formula:

Great writing, high production standards, professional ad staff, proper distro. Oh, and remember that the reader is your first priority, always.

That's it. Do this and people will buy your magazine and some other people will advertise in it.

I heard about this a while ago - I guess Mongrel was destined to have a a fairly short shelflife most people involved will go on to do other stuff with Mongrel on their CV - Eoin Butler has traded up for the Irish Times for example.

Foggy Notions was occasionally good but mostly humourless as someone said. There were some good interviews and its nice to see bands I like get coverage but I didn't think it was a particularly good magazine for 7 quid - whereas Mongrel was free and usualyl had some funny shit in it (usually the music reviews).

Also you get the impression that music magazines are economically unviable - why would you pay 7 quid when Pitchfork et al can do it for free and up to date with youtube links, free music all the time. The only thing you can't do is look at it on the bus.

Also you get the impression that music magazines are economically unviable - why would you pay 7 quid when Pitchfork et al can do it for free and up to date with youtube links, free music all the time.

so true, i have about 30 music news sites bookmarked and i generally check them all every day for free, it's simply impossible for a monthly/bi-monthly music mag to compete with that, especially here in ireland.

so true, i have about 30 music news sites bookmarked and i generally check them all every day for free, it's simply impossible for a monthly/bi-monthly music mag to compete with that, especially here in ireland.

you can't use the internet to wipe your arse when you run out of jacks roll.

If this were true, there'd be no magazines in business anywhere. You can't do lush hi-res photography or long form feature pieces properly on the web right now.

If this were true, there'd be no magazines in business anywhere. You can't do lush hi-res photography or long form feature pieces properly on the web right now.

i don't particularly want those things, i just want news on what bands i like are up to with tours/new lp's and the like. I don't give a rat's arse what most bands look like, to be honest, so fancy photo shoots are largely irrelevant to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back