Modified/Personalised (1 Viewer)

US/Mex stuff is generally imperial measurements while Far East is metric. This usually accounts for the variations in size.

Recently moved my amps to the bands lock up as I was running low on space, kept my little gretsch amp and my zvex nano head for gaff use
Realised that the gretsch is 4ohm and the zvex really needs an 8ohm speaker so I'd nothing to play it through- bollocks!

Today I'd a brainwave- we've had an old Marshall 70's or 80's Bass practise amp in the attic rotting away for the last 10 years at least
And by look its got an 8 ohm 8" celestion speaker (G10L-35 ) in it, so why not turn it into a cab instead?
wired her up to the nano and it sounds fantastic! Dead handy for noodling away in the gaff
It looks cool too with the zvex on top- like a mini half stack!

Eh sorry that was a bit long winded!!

that reminds me, i have one of these:

Basspul164-1.jpg

And have an idea for a modification but ahve no idea is it possible.

I want to put an input direct to the speaker so it can be used as a cab with a different head.

I'm not sure but i think that might be a bad idea, because the speaker would then be connected to two heads at the same time, one switched on, one switched off.

I had the idea that the power switch on the back could be modified so

ON = c'bro amp on and connected to speaker, extra input disconnected.
OFF = c'bro amp off and disconnected from speaker, extra input connected to speaker.

Anyone know if this is doable???

that reminds me, i have one of these:

Basspul164-1.jpg

And have an idea for a modification but ahve no idea is it possible.

I want to put an input direct to the speaker so it can be used as a cab with a different head.

I'm not sure but i think that might be a bad idea, because the speaker would then be connected to two heads at the same time, one switched on, one switched off.

I had the idea that the power switch on the back could be modified so

ON = c'bro amp on and connected to speaker, extra input disconnected.
OFF = c'bro amp off and disconnected from speaker, extra input connected to speaker.

Anyone know if this is doable???

Thats no problem at all, won't do any damage
You'd wire it so basically the speaker is directly connected to a jack on the chassis and whichever amp is connected by speaker cable to it at the time is the one it "sees" this is the best way as physically plugging the head into it will help you remember to definitely have a speaker attached to that amp when you power it up- basically pretend that the bottom half of that carlsboro is its own cab and that the amp is a head.
So for me this would work better than some switch that you might easily forget to have set right when you power up
The issue here would be powering up the amp that's not connected to a speaker by accident as without load (a speaker) it'll wreck the amp

But get into the habit of thinking of it like its own cab and you're golden!

i dunno. i googled the thing lastnight, and all of the folks who did it completely disconnected the combo head. The capictors in my bass amp are nearly terrorist sized, i'm not sure i want to feed them backwards.

how about you try it on your amp and let me know if its ok??

I've no idea what you mean by feeding caps backwards but on the rest my advice is to completely disconnect the amp from the speaker so you have an output from the head and an input to the speaker.

i meant bass amps use caps for the low freq's. if i'm connecting a second power amp without disconnecting the one that is turned off, i'm still technically feeding those caps in the wrong direction. possibly.

i'm going to do the above anyways. it actually already has speaker outs anyways, just need to do the math on the ohms.

Nope still making no sense at all. Perhaps look up some amp schematics and trace back from the output jacks.

1/2 done.

this was green and black on friday, witha white scratchplate.

someone gave me the red one a while back.

the white is temporary. will be recoating it with olympic white next time there's a gig lull.

BOmW9MsCcAAcLI9.jpg

I'm sick of retuning a guitar down to play drop C type stuff (think QOTSA) so I threw this together using old spare parts etc

9501327703_14cece1682_o.jpg

I've strung it up with a 7 string set (minus the high string) but there's still not enough tension so going to up the gauge again...

it sounds deadly!
(unfortunately the pickup I had in mind is broken so i'll have to tackle a repair myself)

I must duct-tape over those two spare holes...

i found tuning from C and back on one guitar, not every guitar can take the change in tension too well. Have 'guitar per tuning now' though i only every play live in standard.

anyone else notice this?

Well your guitar should be set up for the tuning used. We use the Dunlop heavy core strings for tuning C and C# standard. I've never played in drop C and neither did QOTSA I don't think.

In Large Mound we'd go from drop C to D to standard to F# to A or Low A in one gig and one guitar. Never had a problem and we eventually got tight with our onstage retunes. It meant the setlist was not flexible. Which is a pain.

I can definitely see the sense in a guitar per tuning, but on the other hand I've enough shit to drag to gigs as it is.
I'd need to get one of those double guitar soft cases - do those have a pocket big enough for a bottle of rum?

Here Moose, do you have the skillz to replace the wood in a frame of a cab? Stil have buzz in my cab, and I'm fairly sure it's down to a crack in one of the wooden struts. BUt I have not the means to repair

Possibly might just need glued and clamped. All my wood cutting gear is in my da's house in Donegal. Is teh cab over in Drimnagh/Inchicore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back