Modified/Personalised (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
I was talking to one of my mates the other day about working on and fixing guitars because I need to replace the toggle on one of mine. He was saying about work he'd done on various guitars over the years and I realised,the guitars I play are pretty much stock. The only thing I've done is change the bridges on my Gordon Smiths to a "wrapover" style because they were cheap and I don't break strings on them.
So,what have you done?

My bass stuff is stock although I plan on a few mods for my squire. My Ibanez sg has upgraded Schaller tuners that were on it when I got it. I've changed pots and the tone cap on a couple of other people's guitars.

have one that i more or less stripped, re-spayed and am putting new electrics into at some point, also glued about 5mm of wood to it on the front as i didn't think it was heavy enough, so i have to make a nes scratch plate... main guitar was resprayed in a sorta green/black sunburst, and spent about a week on the intonation and string height so it would work well with CGDGBE. more recently it had a new selector switch dropped in. on the nylon string, its almost held together by sellotape and stickers and the bridge is a pencil that i modified using a butterknife.

a mate of mine bought a cheap harley benton electric and took the frets out and made a fretless guitar. it's mental to play. he likes it.

Mines got a spanner for a tremelo arm.And more dings than Big Ben.

I made a pickguard for a Gordon Smith out of a plastic bin lid. Also a backplate for a Kasuga SG. Out of a bin lid. both worked fine, looked awful.

i always have too much respect/awe/admiration for guitars to fuck around with them but am really impressed when people do a Dr Frankenstein on theirs

I remember Fergus from Madpooka had rewired everything to one big dial switch on his fender- with sexy results

Ben Prevo has a telecaster with a strat neck and other mad max style adjustments

I have a peavey rockingham with two P90s and a new bigsby tremelo-that's as far as my modifications go

might put a sticker on it...

Haven't done that much - I stuck a Duncan Distortion in the bridge position of my epiphone SG... that's about it I think.
Also, since we're talking mods, I rewired my marshall VS265 so that I can use the speakers with an external head. It was a bit tricky when I realised the output from the marshall was stereo, but I wanted a mono input for my head, but all I needed to do was get a switch with more poles on it :)

I was talking to one of my mates the other day about working on and fixing guitars because I need to replace the toggle on one of mine. He was saying about work he'd done on various guitars over the years and I realised,the guitars I play are pretty much stock. The only thing I've done is change the bridges on my Gordon Smiths to a "wrapover" style because they were cheap and I don't break strings on them.
So,what have you done?

Eh, Gary, since I got that Gordon Smith from Damo I've realised how bad most other guitars are, especially the ones I own. I went the other way and got the GSG adjustable bridge, I also got a new Toggle & a new input but haven't fitted them yet. Then I stuck some stupid yellow stickers on it which I'll be replacing soon.

Eh, Gary, since I got that Gordon Smith from Damo I've realised how bad most other guitars are, especially the ones I own. I went the other way and got the GSG adjustable bridge, I also got a new Toggle & a new input but haven't fitted them yet. Then I stuck some stupid yellow stickers on it which I'll be replacing soon.

The only reason I changed the bridge was because I was averaging a string break every gig. I had to do something. I tried different gauges of strings and picks to no effect so the bridge was next. I had to "downgrade to improve". Everything else is perfect,and if I didn't strum so hard I probably would have kept the bridge. More a flaw in me than the guitar.
It was in interesting lesson in guitars to a young me. It proved that expensive was not necessarily better.

I've been playing my strat a lot recently,I think I'm gonna swap round all the volume/tone controls. I keep hitting the volume when I play,turning the guitar down.

Ha, I would kill to have my volume control that close. My plan is to upgrade my Jolana Tornado. I was going to add some wood to the body to create a cavity like a Gibson 335. Mod the pickups to 2 mini humbuckers (in the same casing), all new electrics, volume control for 2 pickups and a master volume. One tone. As for the switches. Master kill switch, kill switch for each pickup and maybe a phase. The middle pickup would be left as is and wouldn't be part of the main electronics chain but the last switch might change the output to be just the middle pickup, just for fun like.

617145459a4613179035l.jpg

Thing is, all that will probably cost me about €300+ and there's no garentee that it'll be any good. My gordon smith cost less than that!

Opened up the strat to change round the volume/tone knobs and realised I would have to do a bunch of soldering. I don't have any wire in case I cocked up so I put it all back together.

I did fit a comedy skeleton jack socket though.
strat.jpg

I love it,it looks so out of place on a maple neck strat too. It only cost about 2.50 as well. Impossible to resist.
I also got a neck plate with a skeleton. on it But one of the screw holes is too big so I need to find a washer or something. It's way more awesome tham it sounds. I'll get a pic later.

I realised last night that I haven't played my first electric guitar (an Epiphone les paul) in years. It's just sitting in the back of a press. I don't need to sell it for cash and to be honest I'd sooner keep it anyway as I get sentimental about gear.

But not so much that I'm not prepared to do some serious modding to it so as I can get some use out of it. I think that I fancy using it as a SY style alternate tuning/noise instrument. I assume someone here has done these sorts of mods on an instrument before and I'm wondering if there's any tips you might have. I assume that if I decide on a particular tuning for it I might have to get the intonation redone at some point.

I'm half tempted to just try to make my own version of the drifter: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gtr01.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back