Modern Day Irish Authors (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Is there any worth reading?

Written in English, by authors who are still alive.

It shames me to say, the only novels that I've read, written by Irish authors, are the Butcher Boy and Star of the Sea. Both fantastic!

There has to be more. Maybe the Irish section in Waterstones etc just seems so uncool or something.

kirstie said:
John McGahern ist fantastichen

Agreed.

William Trevor is pretty great, too, and writes lovely stuff like this:

'In the plate-glass of a department store window their reflection was arrested while they embraced. They did not see that image recording for an instant a stylishness they would not have claimed as theirs, or guessed that, in their love affair, they had possessed. Unspoken, understood, their rules of love had not been broken in the distress of ending what was not ended and never would be. Nothing of love had been destroyed today: they took that with them as they drew apart and walked away from one another, unaware that the future was less bleak than now it seemed, that in it there still would be the delicacy of their reticence, and they themselves as love had made them for a while.'

Try to get a hold of some of his short story collections. A couple of fantastic stories to look out for: 'Downstairs at Fitzgerald's' and 'The Paradise Lounge'.

These two almost had me in tears on a crowded bleedin' Luas...

'Resurrection Man' and 'The Ultras' by Eoin McNamee are both quite powerful reads

Also, John Banville is not without merit

kirstie said:
lets not forget deirdre purcell, maeve binchy and marian keys, guys.

And, my personal favourite, Marisa Mackle. Okay, so I haven't actually read any of her bukes but they're called:

"Mr Right for the Night", "So Long Mr Wrong" and, "Mile High Guy"

azezelo said:
Also, John Banville is not without merit

He's amazing, though some people find his language quite OTT. I interviewed him recently about his new book The Sea and he was so intense, but also quite funny, even though he wasn't feeling well. AND my mini disc player failed to save the data. I very nearly cried trying to recall his answers entirely from memory.

Am also a big McGahern fan, he has a new memoir due out very soon.

There's another guy called Niall Williams who's meant to be amazing. I picked up a hardback copy of his recent novel, Only Say The Word, which I'm trying to find the time to read.

The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty by sebastian barry is an excellent book, one of my favorites. didnt like Annie Dunne so much though it was good. he has a new one now too.

Miss Piggy said:
The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty by sebastian barry is an excellent book, one of my favorites. didnt like Annie Dunne so much though it was good. he has a new one now too.

Yeah, Barry has some excellent stuff. His new one is called "A Long Long Way"

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0571218008/qid=1120592510/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/026-1684504-3798010)

Fabulous read, impressively imagined, beautifully written. He can conjure up an entire world in a way very few writers can.

I feel your pain, Audiodelic. I interviewed Barry recently and almost cried as I tried to decipher what he was saying from the cawing bullshit coming from the patrons of the Lord Mayor's Room at the Shelbourne (his choice). He was a very interesting bloke to hang out with. Not intense at all but kept trying to pull the conversation down what I think he saw as very profound paths. Funny, too.

Was supposed to spend half an hour with him but ended up keeping the poor bloke for an hour and a half.

freddienonose said:
I feel your pain, Audiodelic. I interviewed Barry recently and almost cried as I tried to decipher what he was saying from the cawing bullshit coming from the patrons of the Lord Mayor's Room at the Shelbourne (his choice).

Was that the Rattlebag public interview?

While JP Donleavy is not strictly speaking Irish (he's a yank), he's been here longer than Jane and writes about Ireland, so pick up either The Ginger Man or the Beastly Beattitudes of Balthazaar B and laugh until face wears out.

I was going to mention him, but isn't he dead? Or maybe not...
Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
While JP Donleavy is not strictly speaking Irish (he's a yank), he's been here longer than Jane and writes about Ireland, so pick up either The Ginger Man or the Beastly Beattitudes of Balthazaar B and laugh until face wears out.

I don't think he's dead. He was on Questions and Answers recently and I think he's speaking at the writers' festival (if it hasn't happened already). I think we should try and keep him alive until this thread gets to page 2 at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back