Mitt Romney - Philo fan? (1 Viewer)

I'm curious as to whether people have control over their IP with regard to its use by political parties. Is there a licence a political party acquires in order to use a band's music in this way? I know there was a vague hullabaloo when D:REAM's Things Can Only Get Better was used by "New" Labour around the time of the 1997 British General Election but I've never found out what the licencing/legal issues are. Can the copyright holder of Phil Lynott's music (assuming it's not his mother) actively prevent its use in that way?

Pretty sure it can. Copyright laws vary depending on location but generally if your music is being played in public to over a certain number of people, people can be sued if it is used without permission.

Wasn't there a case where a Democrat rally were going to use Lou Vega 'Mambo No5' where Bill Clinton was speaking, and one advisor only copped the lyrics at the last minute?

i've heard of a few examples of artists being approached for permission to use music in political contexts and refusing the request; i vaguely remember springsteen was approached by the republican party for permission to use 'born in the USA'.

i've heard of a few examples of artists being approached for permission to use music in political contexts and refusing the request; i vaguely remember springsteen was approached by the republican party for permission to use 'born in the USA'.

Bruce may have been approached, but he defo made a big hullabaloo about Reagan quoting, and completely missing the point of, that song.

The Clash's 'London Calling' was the latest "lets chose a song based on the chorus but let's not listen to any of the lyrics"

I should have put that in the minor complaints thread at the time

I would have thought it depends on who owns the publishing rights but I think there is a thing where their image may be misrepresented but dunno if that covers songs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back