Miscellaneous book trivia and stuff (1 Viewer)

Well I don't feel qualified to talk about trans issues so i'm not going to but if you think the author of this article writes in bad faith based on previous writings i'll take that viewpoint on board when reading stuff by them and thank you.

For what it's worth I don't see a good counter argument to the one made in the article posted in that specific thread. I see a denial of a thing that other people are saying is definitely happening (see the responses to the authors cancellation tweet), and a declaration that the writer of the article knows nothing. I certainly don't know which of these arguments is more true in this case but i've followed enough YA stuff over the years to see some truth in the article as written. Ultimately one has to respect the author's decision to cancel her book though.

Also i'm almost definitely in this for the gossip and likely wouldn't have heard of her if this hadn't blown up. I find most YA nowadays to be the same quality as the YA "issues books" of the 1980's but usually with some form of wider world building mythology grafted on top and I probably preferred the honesty of the 80's books.

Good points. My mention of his being a known transphobe more relates to this being on brand for him (as a man who has made a career out of speaking loudly on and continually being hired to write about trans issues, for reasons beyond me, and if this article is to believed, for reasons beyond a lot of trans folk) to rush in to a sitaution he knows nothing about and write a scatching article that quotes no-one who does know anything, really. My cynicism sees a man who loves jumping on any opportunity to insert himself into conversations that are actively not about him, nothing to do with him, he has no expertise on, and is usually just entering into to make some un-nuanced argument about why woke-twitter culture is toxic.

I find it hard to credit what he's saying in this case, because when looking into it, it definitely seems more like the real bullying and insanity has come on the back of HIS article, which incensed a bunch of dopes to send death threats to POC women authors. Which, to me, is far more interesting a think piece than acting like the authors he mentions are she-devils for having an opinion on racism in another womans book. Like, valid criticism, whether you agree on it or not, vs death threats because women spoke their minds on their experiences and reading of a book? Madness.

So in short, I'm not actually coming at you or your reading of this at all more just annoyed because I'm sick of this milo-yiannopoulos-joker.

In unrelated book gossip Niel Gaiman ads for masterclass are being pushed on me by the same organisation that was pushing tom morello guitar masterclass on me. This doesn't reflect positively on anyone.

In unrelated book gossip Niel Gaiman ads for masterclass are being pushed on me by the same organisation that was pushing tom morello guitar masterclass on me. This doesn't reflect positively on anyone.
I can't fucking get rid of them!

Kinda thought this was fun

15690-6adebc2e726d4db964a0b9420829eabb.jpg
15689-06334b11ef8230ceea788b8f698df352.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.21.57.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.21.57.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.22.10.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.22.10.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 13
Where do you all go for book news, reviews, articles, podcasts etc. Plz no New York Times, thanks.

Honest answer: nowhere and everywhere. One podcast or author interview leads to 5 other names coming up which leads to 5 other sources, which leads to 5 more names, and so on into infinity.

I don’t do podcasts as I’m never in a position to listen to them. I read when computing and I’m reading/writing in work so stick with music. At home it’s records all the way.

For book stuff, I’m in a couple of book groups (Folk Horror Revival is good but niche) and follow publishers I like on twitter. And this thread is good too.

I went to a ghost story conference in Dublin in July last year and that gave me a reading list that I’ll working through for quite some time and I’m trying to work through all the books I bought at it still. I’ve decided that 2019 is the year of the “To Read” pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back