Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (3 Viewers)

Another good one from the beeb

Wow - 'Sonny' is awesome! He sums up why I love football.

In the part where he is talking to former footballer Jan Age Fjorfoft he shows how good his knees are! He's very fresh for a man of 90. He's a handy jazz drummer too.
Sonny (Helmut) didn't know his parents were Jewish until the Kristallnacht in 1938 (his mother had remarried and his stepfather and the Catholic church were all he knew) and then his nightmare began.
The Allied bombing of Frankfurt in 1944 was another terrible memory.
Sonny was outraged when Eintracht's president in the 60's Gramlich was outed as an SS man and Sonny resigned his club membership. But the club's current president denounced Gramlich and is a friend of Sonny.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this a bit, and IMO this doesn't invalidate the idea of Dunning-Kruger. If people's self-assessment of their skill levels is not related to their actual skill level then on average the self-assessments of a low-skilled group will be higher than their real skill level.

Like say you have 1000 people that play piano, and when asked to rate their playing on a scale of 1-10 they just give you a random number. Take the worst 100 of them and say their average level of ability is around 2 - but because their answers are random their average self-assessment of their ability will be around 5. That's Dunning-Kruger right there. "Clueless people think they're better than they are and skilled people think they're worse" is actually exactly the same as "nobody knows how good they are at anything"

On the other hand, some of the linked papers in the article have found the exact opposite - that people actually do have the ability to tell how good they are at something. I don't really think the author picks up on that though, and has kinda got the wrong end of the stick

Drawing a lot of research from this book (Apologies if it's been posted before, by me maybe) Decomposed
“Listening to an album via a streaming platform for just five hours is equal in terms of carbon to the plastic of a physical CD. The comparative time for a vinyl record is 17 hours.”

old but super depressing

I saw a BBC documentary about this in the 2000's. It said Pacific NW suffered mega quakes every 300 years and the last one was circa 1700.
at the time they also did a similar doc on Tenerife collapse that would cause a mega Tsunami but that might not happen for thousands of years.
Massively more up to date research in the New Yorker article though.
found it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back