Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (3 Viewers)

I like that guy (in small doses), I find him more interesting than the "Let's be positive, I swear to God i'm still young" guy.

I don't personally share the article's negativity nor it's despair but thankfully I don't have to relate to something to find it interesting. I like the writing; it's a good polemic against the madness of the world.

I don't have to either. I just find that style of excessive despair and hand wringing ("I don't even enjoy the good films, woe is me") kind of tedious. It's like the guy suffers from a complete humour bypass. I'm not saying that people have to only have to talk about stuff that they enjoy all the time. I think he just might have forgotten that when culture is ridiculous, it's ripe for poking fun at.

I also found the part where he was talking about the Irishman ("I'm going to tell Martin Scorsese what his own film was actually about") to put it mildly fucking ridiculous and exhibiting a huge lack of self awareness.

I would agree with him about Social Media, it's fucking horrible. Says man on internet board.

This is very good

(bear in mind Sam Kriss was cancelled (NO ONE IS EVER CANCELLED, HERE I AM PROVING THAT POINT) a few years back for being a creep so if you refuse to read anything by creeps don't read it)
I don't know who he is so I started reading it. He's already lost me with this
In the modernist 20th century, culture produced novelty: new galaxies, new empires, new images and affects. Now, in the era of neoliberalism, it’s all repetition and pastiche; the best we can do is repeat ourselves....Pop music copies the forms of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
The 20th century that started with The Waste Land and finished with Entroducing? Modernism is basically defined by it's allusiveness. It's all collage, sample, recycle, cut and paste; from Andy Warhol to hip hop. Also don't agree that pop music today sounds anything like the 70s, 80s or 90s. It's way more homogeneous musically for a start but apart from that is quite distinct in how contemporary technologies make it sound.

I don't have to either. I just find that style of excessive despair and hand wringing ("I don't even enjoy the good films, woe is me") kind of tedious. It's like the guy suffers from a complete humour bypass. I'm not saying that people have to only have to talk about stuff that they enjoy all the time. I think he just might have forgotten that when culture is ridiculous, it's ripe for poking fun at.

I also found the part where he was talking about the Irishman ("I'm going to tell Martin Scorsese what his own film was actually about") to put it mildly fucking ridiculous and exhibiting a huge lack of self awareness.

I would agree with him about Social Media, it's fucking horrible. Says man on internet board.
A complete humour bypass? If you can't see the humour in that article I don't know what to tell you, his last little paragraph and your last two sentences hang on the same kind of joke. If anything the article suffers from a very modern level of irony poisoning and too much self awareness, i'm just glad I find some substance beneath that.

As for the rest, I find his discussion of Star Wars invigorating in that it's probably the first article i've seen to actually try and seriously dissect why it sucks so much instead of just going "oh it's crap but we all buy into this thing anyway hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha."

It's probably dependent on your social circle though. Mine are woefully millenial in that they respond to every single factor crushing their lives with "I resolve to create "good art" and treat the world with kindness" instead of actually acknowledging what it is that's making them despair and doing something about it. I'd imagine if they were all moaners who just said everything is shite I wouldn't like that either.

It's probably dependent on your social circle though. Mine are woefully millenial in that they respond to every single factor crushing their lives with "I resolve to create "good art" and treat the world with kindness" instead of actually acknowledging what it is that's making them despair and doing something about it.
What is actually making them despair though? Is it simply not enough money and shit jobs?

What is actually making them despair though? Is it simply not enough money and shit jobs?
Neither of those answers are simple but yes, i'd imagine that's part of it. Constant self-flagellation for not being positive enough at all times isn't helping either.

Neither of those answers are simple but yes, i'd imagine that's part of it. Constant self-flagellation for not being positive enough at all times isn't helping either.

I'd say there's an element of that and having to have the correct opinion on every single topic at all times and constantly being on show and having to look like you're always having the best time ever would get fairly exhausting after a while. I have to admit, it's not really a worry for myself these days.

I'd say there's an element of that and having to have the correct opinion on every single topic at all times and constantly being on show and having to look like you're always having the best time ever would get fairly exhausting after a while. I have to admit, it's not really a worry for myself these days.
Currently reorganizing my life so I don't have to either Updates on thumped to follow! I'll be Cheerful Lili before you know it.

This whole 2 page argument about sam kriss being a good or terrible writer (my vote is he's neither) is very Twitter. I went against my hatred of him for 2 paragraphs, thought "why did you write this and why am i reading this?" and then closed the window. But thats just my opinion :giggle:

This whole 2 page argument about sam kriss being a good or terrible writer (my vote is he's neither) is very Twitter. I went against my hatred of him for 2 paragraphs, thought "why did you write this and why am i reading this?" and then closed the window. But thats just my opinion :giggle:
Your writing is terrible.

No i'm kidding, I just can't believe we've descended into journal.ie comments section levels of chat.

I utterly regret posting that article, it's brought out the worst in everyone. I apologize to the lord, to pete, but most of all to the writers of the good Disney-owned intellectual properties that so keep us entertained.

This is very, very far from Journal.ie level of comments, its really very civil. You're just not very open to not being entirely right, maybe?

No i'm kidding, I just can't believe we've descended into journal.ie comments section levels of chat.

I utterly regret posting that article, it's brought out the worst in everyone.

Ah no, if it was the Journal this conversation would be waaaaay more racist. Even if race never came up. No, in fairness the article was posted and we had a pretty decent discussion on it. Go us!

This is very, very far from Journal.ie level of comments, its really very civil. You're just not very open to not being entirely right, maybe?
Why did you write that? Why am I reading this?

oh god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back