Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (3 Viewers)

I can actually relate to a fair amount of this. I was suffering really badly with anxiety for a lot of last year. I was finding that i was really anxious and panicky in certain social situations. I was trying all this stuff like the headspace app, cold showers etc. None of it worked. Eventually I went to a counsellor. When I got talking to him I started realising how little down time I was giving myself. For example, I'd get the kids to bed and then spend the night trying to work out, do laundry, prepare lunches for next day, practice guitar, browse facebook, watch that film that people recommended etc. I was trying to cram in as much as possible in as little time so I was just ending up completely frazzled and not actually enjoying anything.

The counsellor asked "Why do you think you do this?" I said I had no idea. He said "It doesn't really matter, just stop"

Which I did. I relaxed and stopped trying to do absolutely everything all the time. I kept doing stuff because I felt I had to, which was bullshit. I can relate to what the girl in the article was saying about how you get "Everything that's bad is good and vice versa", you feel like you have to be achieving something all the time. I stopped doing shit that I don't enjoy that I didn't have to. That's why I quit facebook, which I'd highly recommend, it does wonders for your attention span.

It was weird in that for the first little while after I relaxed a bit I found myself feeling a bit of an adrenaline comedown because i think I'd been on high alert for so long. But the upshot was I started sleeping better and found I was actually working better at my job and stuff instead of fucking up all the time. Also, most of my anxiety is pretty much gone.

TLDR; stop doing shite you don't need to because you feel you have to. Give yourself a break.

Fucking hell...

"We didn’t try to break the system, since that’s not how we’d been raised. We tried to win it.
I never thought the system was equitable. I knew it was winnable for only a small few. I just believed I could continue to optimize myself to become one of them. And it’s taken me years to understand the true ramifications of that mindset. I’d worked hard in college, but as an old millennial, the expectations for labor were tempered. We liked to say we worked hard, played hard — and there were clear boundaries around each of those activities. Grad school, then, is where I learned to work like a millennial, which is to say, all the time. My new watchword was “Everything that’s good is bad, everything that’s bad is good”: Things that should’ve felt good (leisure, not working) felt bad because I felt guilty for not working; things that should’ve felt “bad” (working all the time) felt good because I was doing what I thought I should and needed to be doing in order to succeed."

So accurate.

Fucking hell...

"We didn’t try to break the system, since that’s not how we’d been raised. We tried to win it.
I never thought the system was equitable. I knew it was winnable for only a small few. I just believed I could continue to optimize myself to become one of them. And it’s taken me years to understand the true ramifications of that mindset. I’d worked hard in college, but as an old millennial, the expectations for labor were tempered. We liked to say we worked hard, played hard — and there were clear boundaries around each of those activities. Grad school, then, is where I learned to work like a millennial, which is to say, all the time. My new watchword was “Everything that’s good is bad, everything that’s bad is good”: Things that should’ve felt good (leisure, not working) felt bad because I felt guilty for not working; things that should’ve felt “bad” (working all the time) felt good because I was doing what I thought I should and needed to be doing in order to succeed."

So accurate.

Somebody said before that the amount of work you do won't really affect how successful or wealthy you become that it's more like prospecting for gold nowadays. So, you could work 2 or 3 jobs and still be poor as shit but if you come with an idea like deliveroo or somesuch you're sorted. Anyways, the moral is don't work so fucking hard.

Somebody said before that the amount of work you do won't really affect how successful or wealthy you become that it's more like prospecting for gold nowadays. So, you could work 2 or 3 jobs and still be poor as shit but if you come with an idea like deliveroo or somesuch you're sorted. Anyways, the moral is don't work so fucking hard.
Jeff Bezos has a salary of 81 thousand dollars. That's how much money he makes in a year.

He also owns 16 or so percent of amazon shares.

I can actually relate to a fair amount of this. I was suffering really badly with anxiety for a lot of last year. I was finding that i was really anxious and panicky in certain social situations. I was trying all this stuff like the headspace app, cold showers etc. None of it worked. Eventually I went to a counsellor. When I got talking to him I started realising how little down time I was giving myself. For example, I'd get the kids to bed and then spend the night trying to work out, do laundry, prepare lunches for next day, practice guitar, browse facebook, watch that film that people recommended etc. I was trying to cram in as much as possible in as little time so I was just ending up completely frazzled and not actually enjoying anything.

The counsellor asked "Why do you think you do this?" I said I had no idea. He said "It doesn't really matter, just stop"

Which I did. I relaxed and stopped trying to do absolutely everything all the time. I kept doing stuff because I felt I had to, which was bullshit. I can relate to what the girl in the article was saying about how you get "Everything that's bad is good and vice versa", you feel like you have to be achieving something all the time. I stopped doing shit that I don't enjoy that I didn't have to. That's why I quit facebook, which I'd highly recommend, it does wonders for your attention span.

It was weird in that for the first little while after I relaxed a bit I found myself feeling a bit of an adrenaline comedown because i think I'd been on high alert for so long. But the upshot was I started sleeping better and found I was actually working better at my job and stuff instead of fucking up all the time. Also, most of my anxiety is pretty much gone.

TLDR; stop doing shite you don't need to because you feel you have to. Give yourself a break.
I relate to this so hard.

I relate to this so hard.

Funnily enough, after I wrote this I went home from work and just before I put my daughter to bed she puked all over our living room and main bathroom. I spent most of last night cleaning and doing laundry. She got up a few more times to throw up after I put her to bed. It was a good reminder of why I should take things easy when I do get the chance. I'm going to bed at 7.30 tonight.

Funnily enough, after I wrote this I went home from work and just before I put my daughter to bed she puked all over our living room and main bathroom. I spent most of last night cleaning and doing laundry. She got up a few more times to throw up after I put her to bed. It was a good reminder of why I should take things easy when I do get the chance. I'm going to bed at 7.30 tonight.
Ugh Jesus God love you. I can't imagine how hard it is being a parent AND trying to balance everything else. Great plan, lots of rest.

Too real

"Its popularity makes sense when you think of how stressed out Gen Xers and millennials are: lacking economic stability, removed from religion, and deeply confused about what irony is, whether it’s acceptable, and if we are in fact employing it right now, we gravitate to the idea of a governing celestial system as much as to kitschy iconography that makes for a decent tattoo. We also yearn for a sense of community, or at least an acknowledgment of mutual pressures and conditions, and like fist-shaking at bad weather or the New York City subway, collective complaining about Mercury retrograde fosters a sense of commonality when things are beyond our control. Life is indeed quite hard, and though the tone of horoscope advice has become more involved, it retains the same appealing, reasonably hopeful bent the newspaper columnists gave it: the bad phases will always pass by a certain date, to usher in an exciting new series of planetary effects."

I will say though, the length of her paragraphs in that article is giving me anxiety.

The increased granularity may promote pseudo-rationality to a greater degree, but the main appeal is that it allows for “hyper-personalization”—the sense that one is special.

To be fair, this exact thing.

Found this cheap in Spindizzy not too long ago. Great artwork
Sixteen Days / Gathering Dust - Wikipedia

cheers - this is cool, i had no idea this existed.

i love Modern English up to the first LP.
But after 1981 (Melt With You etc. onward) they do nothing for me.
it's pity their post punk material isn't better known.
always surprised me how popular they became in US.
Gathering Dust has a very similar feel to Hawkwind's
Space Is Deep as did other early 4AD and post punk songs.
actually Hawkwind played the first Futurama festival in 1979.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back