Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (1 Viewer)

thumped

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Even though I disagree with this guy on an awful lot of stuff (including, to a certain extent, the premise of this article), he very often has something interesting to say

Nah he’s right. That was kind of like me and Desert Golfing right there. Finishing 10,000+ levels of a game BECAUSE THEY WERE THERE.

Lili Marlene

FURIOUS
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
This is just a really pleasant story of some auld lads still playing music into their 80s

Lili Marlene

FURIOUS
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I finally got around to reading Debt there earlier this year, its good stuff albeit yes, very long.

This new book reminds me of these stories:

Story of cities #5: Benin City, the mighty medieval capital now lost without trace

“When Europeans first came to Africa, they considered the architecture very disorganised and thus primitive. It never occurred to them that the Africans might have been using a form of mathematics that they hadn’t even discovered yet.”

and also

I guess, being Irish we should be quite aware of how made up most of this stuff is.

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
The first couple of chapters of "Bullshit jobs" really put me off Graeber (even though I enjoyed one of his early books ... "Possibilities" I think it was called). Was like listening to some smug anarcho-hipster at a reclaim the streets march in the 00s

Lili Marlene

FURIOUS
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I thought the original Bullshit Jobs article was decent enough but very much didn't need to read the book, and I seem to remember reading some good criticism of it, most of which i've now forgotten.

I mean, the fact is he was an anarchist, which you know, fine, whatever, he's just having fun with ideas isn't he? Debt was really good, I like books that take on ingrained ideas at their very core, which it looks like the latest one is doing as well, but i'm not going to look for him to work out how we should re-organize the transport system or fix the housing crisis in the short term.

Cormcolash

Website
geocities.com
I guess, being Irish we should be quite aware of how made up most of this stuff is.
HOW DARE YOU, YOU JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!

Lili Marlene

FURIOUS
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
HOW DARE YOU, YOU JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!

fuck yeah!

oh man, there's a book and all now

Amazon product

seanc

Thanks for that before I go to bed.

Reminds me of a gig I went to once.

Tapeworms Found
In Mans Brains
Years After He
Ate
Feces-Tainted Food

Great line-up

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads