Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (5 Viewers)

What is this guy talking about?

“Spiritualized embody latter day 90’s psychedelia combining elements found in bands like “Unkle” “Brian Jonestown Massacre” the better bits of “Oasis” “The Stone Temple Pilots” and some bits from maybe “Husker Du” and of course “Spaceman 3″.”
Taking drugs to write reviews of music to take drugs to.

What is this guy talking about?

“Spiritualized embody latter day 90’s psychedelia combining elements found in bands like “Unkle” “Brian Jonestown Massacre” the better bits of “Oasis” “The Stone Temple Pilots” and some bits from maybe “Husker Du” and of course “Spaceman 3″.”

Aren't they just Pink Floyd?

Yet he freely admits the club’s interest in refugee children is not entirely altruistic. “They’re natural athletes,” he says.
Oh dear

Love this guy!
Hannan Iqbal

Iqbal’s family moved to Ireland from Pakistan when he was seven. “Never mind the GAA,” he says. “I don’t think people in Pakistan had even heard about Ireland at the time. Then Pakistan lost to Ireland in the 2007 Cricket World Cup. Now everybody knows where Ireland is, I think.”

When Iqbal took up hurling, aged 11, he wasn’t yet fluent in English. Today his accent is indistinguishable from those of his Irish-born teammates.

“All the coaches were pure sound to me starting out,” he says. “When you’re a kid coming in from a different community, you think you’re going to be treated differently. But you’re not. The GAA is just like a family. When you’re part of a club, it becomes your second family.”

Did he ever experience racism on the field, I ask? Not in hurling, he says. The Mayo hurling fraternity is small. Having represented the county from under-14 level upwards, his opponents have tended also to be his friends. So there have never been any real problems.

What about football? He appears to be racking his brain. “Once,” he offers. “One time, I was in goal and the opposition just couldn’t score against me. They got a bit fussy and stuff. Saying a few words about me.” Did that bother him? “Nah,” he shakes his head. “If someone can’t score against me, obviously they’re going to say stuff to put me off my game. I don’t give a sh*t. I let it in one ear and out the other.”

Iqbal is studying biochemistry at NUI Galway, where he is secretary of the university’s GAA club. He also does PR work for the GAA’s Connacht Centre of Excellence at Knock, Co Mayo. He’s so devoted to hurling, he spurned the opportunity to study abroad on Erasmus because he couldn’t bear to be away from the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back