Minor Pleasures (7 Viewers)

soon after i started seeing my wife, my father in law decided he'd like a boerboel. he couldn't find a breeder in ireland, thankfully. they'd make rottweilers look like poodles.
according to wikipedia, the typical weight range of a rottweiler is 50-60KG; and that of a boerboel is 68-91KG.

soon after i started seeing my wife, my father in law decided he'd like a boerboel. he couldn't find a breeder in ireland, thankfully. they'd make rottweilers look like poodles.
according to wikipedia, the typical weight range of a rottweiler is 50-60KG; and that of a boerboel is 68-91KG.

A big dumb mastif. Lovely. Fucking monster size though

My childhood dog was half pit bull and half bull staff, and the best dog there ever was.
He was well trained but my dad made sure we knew he was there as a guard dog, and to never forget that he could hurt us without meaning it.

He was bred to fight though, both parents were prize winning fight dogs. When my dad found out someone he knew was breeding them in the flats in town, he broke in and took the pups. I just remember being about 6 and sitting in the back of the van and suddenly there were 5-6 pups thrown in with me and a lot of shouting outside. He gave them to people that knew how to take care of that type of dog and kept one himself (Sam), letting everyone know he’d done it and where to find him if they had any issues.
My dad can be the most frustrating person I know, but he has his moments.

i know a chap whose grandfather in law was cremated a few years back in glasnevin, and the british army sent over a bugler to play last post at his funeral.
he's bailed to england when WW2 broke out and ended up serving as a commando in france - real 'drop behind enemy lines and basically just fuck shit up' sort od standing orders.

his contribution to the war - basically, tying the germans up chasing him around the countryside - was stealing alsatians off the SS.

He was bred to fight though, both parents were prize winning fight dogs. When my dad found out someone he knew was breeding them in the flats in town, he broke in and took the pups. I just remember being about 6 and sitting in the back of the van and suddenly there were 5-6 pups thrown in with me and a lot of shouting outside. He gave them to people that knew how to take care of that type of dog and kept one himself (Sam), letting everyone know he’d done it and where to find him if they had any issues.
Good fuck, this sounds like something from a movie

I’ve been a behavioural neuroscientist for over 15 years and have taught the genetics of behaviour for about a third of that time. I use pit bulls as a classic example of how genetics can define behaviour.

You can’t unring the bell of generations of selective breeding through responsible training and ownership. When an animal is sick or stressed or scared or threatened, it is going to revert to its “natural” tendencies. That’s true for a rat, for a person, and for a pit bull.

If it wasn’t true, then the Irish Guide Dogs would be using a far wider variety of dogs for their service programmes but they pick labradors because they have been bred for docility and ease of training.

It’s not nurture over nature, it’s reinforcing nature through selective breeding and training can only move the needle so much in any breed or species and to think you can is sheer hubris.

What would be a good intro to behavioural genetics? Sounds interesting.

Minor pleasure: been listening back to old albums I used to love.

I really really like well-written lyrics, and these are very much not those, but the first verse from the first song on Gogol Bordello's Super Taranta sure puts a smile on my face

Gogol Bordello said:
If we are not here to do
What you and I want to do
And go forever crazy with it
What the hell we doing here?

Housemate just asked to borrow my bass amp. Actually, if a friend of his could borrow the bass amp for a gig. Housemate knows a lot more about music than me, maybe less about life in general.

He's a lot younger than me, but him and his fren just walked up the gangplank holding a handle of the amp each (it's not a big combo, as these things go, 120w iirc). I swear it was like watching two little kids going off on an exciting adventure. Bless 'em.

Deleted reddit last night. Feels good
yeah, I was deleting it today, but running a thing that overwrote and then deleted my posts. Looks like it's crashed. There seems to be a fair amount of anger from users, so I'm not sure if they've taken it down or it's actually legitimately fallen over. Presumably it's related in some way though.

yeah, I was deleting it today, but running a thing that overwrote and then deleted my posts. Looks like it's crashed. There seems to be a fair amount of anger from users, so I'm not sure if they've taken it down or it's actually legitimately fallen over. Presumably it's related in some way though.
I don’t really use Reddit beyond googling random things and Reddit posts being the first hits. Did something happen with Reddit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back