Minor Pleasures (6 Viewers)

my wife is in tallinn with the choir for an international choir competition, and came second in both their main categories, beaten by a pro choir.

she was saying that singing seems almost like a national sport there.

I put skirting (almost) all around a pub today. I'd done skirting before in studios, on stages with flat and square everythings, never in a hundreds year old building with an interesting history of people who had ideas. I know many of you are good at that sort of thing, I guess the pleasure is that I didn't completely freak out. I did a little. No vomit, only dry wretching.

Then I went home and siphoned the water off my neighbours flooded roof, using a diesel tinged length of hose. There's a weird depression on his roof which fills with rainwater. Not to steal his rainwater, but to stop his roof collapsing from the weight. He's away. Got there eventually.

Then I had a look at that stupid piece of shit LED bedside lamp that broke months ago. I found the problem. Don't think I'm up for tiny soldering tonight, but at least I know what's going on with it. Again, I know this is nothing to many of you.

But I feel like quite the capable competent adult right now.

my wife is in tallinn with the choir for an international choir competition, and came second in both their main categories, beaten by a pro choir.

she was saying that singing seems almost like a national sport there.
its a big thing in the Baltics in the summer months. Every town has an area put aside in a forest where they build a stage and some banked seating and they have competitions all through the summer months. I've never been to one but I've seen some of the stage setups and they are very impressive. Everything from wood in the same forest the stage is in.

I played thunderstruck to my friend’s baby kid today and we danced around. she loved it. I partly felt like I was undertaking some kind of sacred ritual of initiation into the ways of rock. partly it’s just a fun song.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Went on youtoobz just there. It really thinks I like boxing, and soccerball ephemera.
So I typed in "Everything on youtybe is bollocks".

Third or fourth result down was this thing I haven't seen in well over a decade. It still works.

its a big thing in the Baltics in the summer months. Every town has an area put aside in a forest where they build a stage and some banked seating and they have competitions all through the summer months. I've never been to one but I've seen some of the stage setups and they are very impressive. Everything from wood in the same forest the stage is in.
That's fabulous

I love choral music
And the older I get the more I dig it.
It's fucking amazing.

London marathon today, I have a friend who lives on the route, so we all went to his gaff. He had set up decks and a stage and sound system and another mate MC'd. It was the nicest kind of wild. When the last of the runners went by we took over the street and applauded the street sweepers. Really good vibes.

Earlier on, I wasn't there, but as Mo Farah ran past and the other pros followed, MC Martin, from Dun Laoighaire, announced to all the guys that are not Mo Farah "Jaysus, you'd want to pick yourselves up lads".

Can't believe I never did it before. I thoroughly recommend coming to the eight mile mark of the London marathon.

London marathon today, I have a friend who lives on the route, so we all went to his gaff. He had set up decks and a stage and sound system and another mate MC'd. It was the nicest kind of wild. When the last of the runners went by we took over the street and applauded the street sweepers. Really good vibes.

Earlier on, I wasn't there, but as Mo Farah ran past and the other pros followed, MC Martin, from Dun Laoighaire, announced to all the guys that are not Mo Farah "Jaysus, you'd want to pick yourselves up lads".

Can't believe I never did it before. I thoroughly recommend coming to the eight mile mark of the London marathon.
It's a wonderful deal, cheering at a marathon
People out there pushing themselves as hard as they can, and unrelenting support from every side.
Among the best feelings of our common humanity.

Last edited:
'xactly, and there was all of us, with a pint of fags in one hand and a can of cigarettes in the other.
Good tunes.

The other night I went out for a cigarette and there was a pert and perky young woman in the living room. HI!, I'm Jenny (nhrn), I'm just going to use the bathroom. Oh hi Jenny, yeah cool, I'm seanc. It's pretty obvious you've just had sex. I didn't say that bit out loud.

A few days ago, one of the shipmates got dumped. Long distance relationship. He felt bad, I felt bad for him. The breakup involved him sleeping in a train station. It was his excuse for not doing anything for my birthday.

He is in his early twenties. I'm sure for a couple of days there it was the worst thing that's ever happened to him ever. Now he's gotten over someone by getting under someone. Me and him had a little chat this evening. The other flatmates parents visited today and even they were laughing about it. Essex folk
How do like the boat?
Oh it's much bigger than I expected
Oh that's what they all say
Listen sunshine, it's not last night now.

But the pep in his step these past couple of days has been great to see. If he had wallowed, who knows what might have happened.

middle aged man minor pleasure - only when replacing our lawnmower did i realise just how hard to use our old one had become.
My dad discovered this only after we'd all moved out of home. He thought we were just crap at lawn-mowing, even though we told him for years that the lawnmower was rubbish. Then I come back for a wedding or something, and there he is on a ride on lawnmower. A RIDE ON LAWNMOWER, like some kind of Floridian.

we were at a free concert last night in the unitarian church, an estonian choir performed who had come to ireland for the cork opera festival. apparently the estonians cleaned up in cork - first, second, and third prizes.

Do we have a thread on choral music?

I can't find one

My new bucket list item is to get to the Baltics during the summer and get to some of these choral comps
They sound deadly

we were at a free concert last night in the unitarian church, an estonian choir performed who had come to ireland for the cork opera festival. apparently the estonians cleaned up in cork - first, second, and third prizes.
these lads

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back