Minor Pleasures (6 Viewers)

Yeah, I think it's a hit, unusual concept for a primetime TV show, bet RTE will be exporting the concept, perhaps minus Tommy, to other markets. Been years since I've consciously remembered to turn on the TV to catch something when it's on.

I don't think he's getting fed questions by a producer, seems genuine to me, but I'm frequently naive about the MAGIC of television

The interviews go on for ages ..do you never wonder how he gets straight into whatever trauma or interesting tale the interviewee has to tell.. theres a a load of waffling that we don't see. But its edited so smoothly it seems like a natural progression. The person in charge is super clever I reckon. I play spot the edit..(in my mind though ,I'm not a total prick if I can help it) .

Or maybe theres no editing and I'm a fucking thick. Always a possibilty

I will take this opportunity to say that I thought that chap For Those I love who's been getting hyped by the brits lately was fucking depressing , like his '"music". A load of horse manure

But sure fair play to him its his ball he can play the game however he wants

The interviews go on for ages ..do you never wonder how he gets straight into whatever trauma or interesting tale the interviewee has to tell.. theres a a load of waffling that we don't see. But its edited so smoothly it seems like a natural progression. The person in charge is super clever I reckon. I play spot the edit..(in my mind though ,I'm not a total prick if I can help it) .

Or maybe theres no editing and I'm a fucking thick. Always a possibilty

I will take this opportunity to say that I thought that chap For Those I love who's been getting hyped by the brits lately was fucking depressing , like his '"music". A load of horse manure

But sure fair play to him its his ball he can play the game however he wants

I never really thought about it being edited. Tiernan frequently putting his foot in it is part of the appeal.

Hit and miss. I'll often go off and listen to some music for twenty minutes if a guest is complete shite.

It's good craic sometimes - better than that heap of ring same time on a Friday night. I'd be happy to give Tubridy's annual paycheck to TT, and have Tubridy smuggled out of his house in the middle of the night never to be heard from again. At least TT has *some* semblance of an engaging persona.

Yep, interviewing that For Those I Love bloke was proper trainwreck, when-does-fucking-end cringefest... which begs the question about the editing - The whole thing should have ended up on the cutting floor... I felt there was no fed nuggets to help TT out there... young lad though. Young people are usually not very interesting - people would rather watch Nick Nolte squeak dangerously and fall out of his seat.

Last edited:
If he had Nick Nolte on I'd fuckin watch alright

That'd be savage. But expect more trainwreck dreariness with the likes of Stephen Rea [Just caught a bit of that one thankfully. Christ] piped in from a mildewed leak.

Jim Beglin next.

Post-covid, Nolte should be the first guest. No Jeff Goldblum or Sam Neill though, please.

Those Tipp lads he had on the other night were enjoyable enough. I don't know their work at all but they worked the show well.
That Game Of Thrones lad was bloody annoying though. Glad to see TT pick hm up on his "I'd rather be a plumber" bullshit.

I've been listening a bit to the Tommy and Hector podcast (with Laurita Blewitt), mostly just for some company. I wouldn't be much of a fan of Hector, but I love the way TT is so direct - Laurita in one of them starts giving out about Tori Amos lyrics and went on to pour scorn on poetry and "fine wines" and doing the whole notions thing, and Tommy goes "I can't sit here and let you get away with talking this shite", and then proceeds to slag her off for being an ignorant culshie

Oh and c'mere, I had this thought listening to them ... in general I tend to value originality and unpredictability, so I'd much much prefer to listen to Tommy than Hector, and usually when interacting with people I find myself saying what other people in the group are not saying. I'm always disagreeing and saying "do you not think ..." etc etc. Not saying I'm particularly original, but I think that in general consensus somehow makes me uncomfortable

... but then someone like Hector seems to want to say the predictable stuff. All his stories are about going to pubs and drinking pints, more or less. Going to matches, eating toasted sandwiches. The same things everyone does. And it made me think of all the people I've met who always make the obvious jokes, and seem to always want to say the same thing everyone else is saying, and wonder if that approach has more value, that people do it because it draws them together, and they get to feel a kind of togetherness and social cohesion that I miss out on

anyway yeah that's what I thought, and I wanted to write it down somewhere to make it concrete, and sure here is as good a place as any. Carry on

That'd be savage. But expect more trainwreck dreariness with the likes of Stephen Rea [Just caught a bit of that one thankfully. Christ] piped in from a mildewed leak.

Jim Beglin next.

Post-covid, Nolte should be the first guest. No Jeff Goldblum or Sam Neill though, please.
That's the other thing, a lot of his guests would bore the living shite out of ya. I did see one where he had this fuckin hippy fool on it though who kept going on about Tara and Norway and all this shite, and it was quite funny just because of how much shite yer man was obviously into. TT just treated him seriously the whole time.

He had this senator who is a traveller on it, she's like the first traveller senator or something, and ya know she's cool and fair play, right, but watching that was pure "Right so they couldn't be fucked putting you on the Late Late in other words"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back