Minor Pleasures (22 Viewers)

I know he has great pedigree, but I'm not buying it. He's 'too' good. He doesn't even have a protour contract yet, and he excels in multiple disciplines. I've never come across anything like him. Ridiculous.

Yeah, his dad (Adri) failed a drugs test in 1983 ( positive for
strychnine) his excuse was he ate pigeon pie and his father in law's
pigeon had been doped !
always comes up in best doping excuses lists.

i'm going soft cause i love the Canyon bike ad with the footage of
the three generations.
his team is so weak so he won as close to possible on his own.
and what about Simon Clarke ? he almost won.

my favourite two races next - Fleche and Liege.
Dan will be up there as usual but i have to expect Alaphilippe
to win both....
Liege will finish in city centre i believe for first time in nearly
30 years so finish should be easier.

was thinking of 1999 Amstel race today :
Boogerd surprisingly beat Lance in two man sprint.
I was delighted - never liked Lance even then.

i haven't got a clue anymore who MIGHT be honest as i don't
follow cycling like i did in 2000's when i was very on the ball.

pigeon had been doped !

the three generations.

to win both....

yeah, same. The only race I watched this year so far was Paris-Roubaix, and that was won comfortably by a lad who should be way past his best.

Then you have a climber, Alaphilipe, outsprinting sprinters, riding for a team that put Gewiss in the ha'penny place when it comes to eyebrow-raising dominance.

There's clearly a new generation starting to emerge and, sadly, they're no more honest than the bunch of bogeys that went before them.

Curious you mention the 99 Amstel Gold. Lance was the main reason I always hated the race. That was usually his season opener and it ended months of glorious Lance-free races. I still hate the race to this day, and didn't bother my hole watching on sunday.

VdeP's 'heroics' in that last couple of kms reminded me of Cancellara in the Beijing Olympics. If you recall, he was out of the medal positions, then engaged the motor to pull back a massive gap, to eventually take bronze (and deny his, then, team-mate Andy Schleck, I think it was).

The only thing left in the sport that genuinely interests me anymore, is Sam Bennett, and how he's quietly clocking up win after win, yet still seems to be way down the pecking order within his own team. The good-luck/bad-luck of Pascal Ackerman breaking his arm in the Tour of the Alps should, at least, see him get a start at the Giro, the race he did so well in last year.

pigeon had been doped !

the three generations.

to win both....

yeah, same. The only race I watched this year so far was Paris-Roubaix, and that was won comfortably by a lad who should be way past his best.

Then you have a climber, Alaphilipe, outsprinting sprinters, riding for a team that put Gewiss in the ha'penny place when it comes to eyebrow-raising dominance.

There's clearly a new generation starting to emerge and, sadly, they're no more honest than the bunch of bogeys that went before them.

Curious you mention the 99 Amstel Gold. Lance was the main reason I always hated the race. That was usually his season opener and it ended months of glorious Lance-free races. I still hate the race to this day, and didn't bother my hole watching on sunday.

VdeP's 'heroics' in that last couple of kms reminded me of Cancellara in the Beijing Olympics. If you recall, he was out of the medal positions, then engaged the motor to pull back a massive gap, to eventually take bronze (and deny his, then, team-mate Andy Schleck, I think it was).

The only thing left in the sport that genuinely interests me anymore, is Sam Bennett, and how he's quietly clocking up win after win, yet still seems to be way down the pecking order within his own team. The good-luck/bad-luck of Pascal Ackerman breaking his arm in the Tour of the Alps should, at least, see him get a start at the Giro, the race he did so well in last year.
Where do you guys watch your cycling? Is there somewhere online that screens races live or is there a channel on TV that shows highlights? I don’t get any of the sports channels so I imagine I miss most of the live coverage at least.

Where do you guys watch your cycling? Is there somewhere online that screens races live or is there a channel on TV that shows highlights? I don’t get any of the sports channels so I imagine I miss most of the live coverage at least.
I have Eurosport at home and they show the bigger races. I have modbro on my phone if I want to watch Eurosport while out and about. That's probably the best bet. I used to pay 4 euro a month for the eurosport player for my phone but they doubled the charge. I couldn't justify it given how little I was using it.

cyclingfans.com is a good resource for collating videos from different places during and after races. Some of their live feeds are a bit dodgy though so use with caution.

remember when Gilbert in 2000's was a poster boy for clean cycling - a huge talent but big underachiever.
Quickstep ? Lefevre's Mapei did the same thing 20 years ago particularly strength in numbers.
why some as talented as Stybar would want to play second fiddle to anyone in classics
is always a mystery to me.

i didn't watch TV in mid 90's (really) but am well aware of Gewiss and their 1994 infamy.
that year under Dr. Ferrari guidance they won most of the big races and got on podium of most of the rest. as i missed that era (94-96) i find it mad how great Berzin, Furlan, Bobrik, Columbo, etc. were - before and after that they did little or nothing.
50% haematocrit came in in 1997.

Race organizers said Pascal Ackermann had broken his arm during the stage but later on Bora said he had no fractures. haven't heard anymore since.
apart from Sagan Bora are flying at moment.
deciding in December to put a German lad (on a German team) in upcoming Giro at Sam's expense was widely criticized.

Nico Roche is riding Fleche today - haven't seen or heard a thing about him so far in 2019...
just checked his twitter he rode in Basque country, San Remo etc. so he's
not fallen off the planet.

Amstel again:
in last 5-10 km Education First (Simon Clarke) had two team mates chasing and a few other were helping. but there was still a lot of work to do with about 600 metres left. then MVDP
just went on the rampage - all his own work from that point.

mind blowing BUT ultimately as you said if it sounds to good to be true then...

i remember four man sprint in Beijing but not much about rest of race apart from hardly
anyone spectators being at the finish !
but yeah Fabian did that sort of thing - especially remember huge race winning
attack in Roubaix just before we became aware of bike motors.

Lance always getting beaten in classics post 1996 made them all the more enjoyable.

Just copped that the smell of pot pourri from my new guitar is actually the smell of rosewood ..and not as I suspected, the smell of the lady who sold me the guitars, bedroom.

Its an absolute minter.Plastic still on the scratchplate

Headphones on in work listening to loads of Sultans of Ping F.C.
Laugh out loud ridiculous. Good fun.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back