Minor Pleasures (10 Viewers)

what? his wife is mauled by a pitbull, and he can't object to someone bringing one into his workplace?

Yep.

I am aware I’m stating the obvious, they may be the same breed, but they are not the same dog. He might not like it but that’s his own problem.

‘I once got knocked over by a Landrover Therefore I object to my neighbour driving a landrover’

^
I mean, is that not the same flawed logic?

Last edited:
I'm a fan of dogs, and I've worked with dogs in the workplace. But if you bring a pitbull into the office, I'm complaining.

Fuck that. There's countless stories of them being angels, until they're not. And when they're not they can easily kill people.

That's the problem, they aren't necessarily aggressive but they've been bred specifically to fight, and if they decide to, the damage they can do is unlike other dogs. It's equivalent to bringing in a landmine to work, but assuring everyone it's a well behaved landmine.

It's reminiscent of that gun bollocks Americans trot out, "you don't have to worry about me, I'm a good gun owner".
No, fuck off.

The problem is the owners, not the dogs.

And if you’ve a restricted breed dog you should have to do proper training with it.

Also some of the smallest terriers and Jack Russell’s are the most aggressive dogs I’ve ever encountered. Only difference is they are easier to simply pick up and fling over a wall

Last edited:
Well yeah, but you have no way of telling what kind of an owner a particular dog has, so if the dog is well-armed it's wise to be cautious

Years and years ago when we were looking for a drummer for Stoat I called in on a guy who'd answered an ad in Hot Press. He answered the door and went off to get his drumsticks, while what seemed to be an actual wolf trotted out of his sitting room and stuck its snout right into my balls. I stood absolutely still while the sweat dripped off me down onto the doorstep.

Then your man reappeared and off we went, but that was a looong moment

Well yeah, but you have no way of telling what kind of an owner a particular dog has, so if the dog is well-armed it's wise to be cautious

Years and years ago when we were looking for a drummer for Stoat I called in on a guy who'd answered an ad in Hot Press. He answered the door and went off to get his drumsticks, while what seemed to be an actual wolf trotted out of his sitting room and stuck its snout right into my balls. I stood absolutely still while the sweat dripped off me down onto the doorstep.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yea but has anyone asked the pitbull for his side of the story?
Ooh I've another dog story, courtesy of Stephen-out-of-Stoat. He was at some kind of family party where the hosts had a dog, and the child of one of the visitors ran in crying saying "the dog's after biting me". There was general outrage and people saying the dog ought to be put down ... and then the dog arrived in the room with a crayon sticking out of its arse

Which is why I think training should be mandatory for those dogs and owners.
Also a prison term if your dog mauls someone

The IT guy's wife is a visiting nurse - treating people at home, who can't travel to hospital
The dog belonged to some nephew who was hanging around with the dog and refused all requests to put the dog in a safe place during the visit, insisting the dog was safe with him
You all know the type of guy I'm talking about

Anyway, this beast tried to chew off her arm.

So I think my IT guy's sympathies are more with what his wife recently went through than the bona fides of some guy with no leash on his pitbull. or possibly bulldog. I don't know from dogs.
I still miss the dog.

Yep.

I am aware I’m stating the obvious, they may be the same breed, but they are not the same dog. He might not like it but that’s his own problem.

‘I once got knocked over by a Landrover Therefore I object to my neighbour driving a landrover’

^
I mean, is that not the same flawed logic?
No. That’s a car accident, a dog bred for aggression being aggressive is an example of how genetics can be a strong driver and predictor of behaviour.

No. That’s a car accident, a dog bred for aggression being aggressive is an example of how genetics can be a strong driver and predictor of behaviour.
It's all about how the dog is trained and brought up. Nurture over nature

Also, a pit bull in an office is just mental.

once they are well trained I Don't see how it's any different to any other dog in an office

It isn't. It's the dog. That's the problem.
Even if you have good owners there's still cases of them going off the rails and killing.

Besides, why should I have to trust someone else being a "good" owner? That's not a reasonable expectation, it's me holding a gun up to your head and saying "relax, I don't think it's loaded". I don't want an animal that's capable of inflicting the level of damage that pitbulls can, and do, around me.
If people want to keep crocodiles or bears or pitbulls that's their perogative. They don't get to inflict that risk on other people.

I mean, the statistics are simple:

Pitbulls are less than 20% of the dogs in the US, and are responsible for ~2/3s of deaths. That's people, and deaths. The numbers of attacks are astronomical, and they attack other dogs and animals too. My kids watched my friend's dog get picked up by it's face and flung around by a pitbull in the US. Cops weren't interested because nobody died. The pitbull and owner suffered no consequences, and the incident was not recorded.

They're bred to specifically to fight, and be exceptionally violent and strong, and guess what? They are. I don't get how people can be defending these animals.

Yes, and the owner in this case chose a restricted breed as a service dog. Unless there's some interesting extenuating circumstances, I'd trust the owner less than I'd trust the dog.

The IT guy's wife is a visiting nurse - treating people at home, who can't travel to hospital
The dog belonged to some nephew who was hanging around with the dog and refused all requests to put the dog in a safe place during the visit, insisting the dog was safe with him
You all know the type of guy I'm talking about

Anyway, this beast tried to chew off her arm.

So I think my IT guy's sympathies are more with what his wife recently went through than the bona fides of some guy with no leash on his pitbull. or possibly bulldog. I don't know from dogs.
I still miss the dog.
so is it actually a service dog?

And if you’ve a restricted breed dog you should have to do proper training with it.

Also some of the smallest terriers and Jack Russell’s are the most aggressive dogs I’ve ever encountered. Only difference is they are easier to simply pick up and fling over a wall
i don't understand your reasoning. you're saying that the dog breed has nothing to do with how aggressive the dog is, and then you name dog breeds you think are aggressive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back