Minor Pleasures (6 Viewers)

I finally have my lift/elevator patter/banter/chat down at work

Only a few months in and I'm a fucking dab hand

Are you trying to avoid the question?

I'm older than I look @Cornu Ammonis . But not so old to for there to be an expectancy of dementia. I'm not saying that, if anything I'm saying the opposite. I'm merely saying that my young good looks shouldn't be confused with an inability to conduct interviews.

Which they don't. Despite looking very young.

I finally have my lift/elevator patter/banter/chat down at work

Only a few months in and I'm a fucking dab hand

"you know that even if the cables break, there's a special spring thing that shoots out a ratchet thing to prevent the elevator from crashing into the ground".

Or, if you know them:

Stand in the middle of the elevator, feet wide facing the door. Place all your weight on one foot, and push off that to the other. You're looking to resonate with the natural frequency of the cable, so you'll need to feel it out a bit, but you start rocking the lift back and forwards until it starts clattering off the walls of the shaft.

You can really smash the car into walls and stuff if you put your back into it. So it in the middle of the pitch for maximum swingage.

"you know that even if the cables break, there's a special spring thing that shoots out a ratchet thing to prevent the elevator from crashing into the ground".

Or, if you know them:

Stand in the middle of the elevator, feet wide facing the door. Place all your weight on one foot, and push off that to the other. You're looking to resonate with the natural frequency of the cable, so you'll need to feel it out a bit, but you start rocking the lift back and forwards until it starts clattering off the walls of the shaft.

You can really smash the car into walls and stuff if you put your back into it. So it in the middle of the pitch for maximum swingage.
Heh heh heh

More like since my foot injury, I've been forced to take the elevator for months now
And you get stuck in there with everyone at one time or another
I don't like that sense of being stood next to someone and pretending they're not there, so I usually spark up a short convo, but try keep it real. Or at least not utterly cliched.
Obviously if someone is wedged into their phone, I leave them at it.

Heh heh heh

More like since my foot injury, I've been forced to take the elevator for months now
And you get stuck in there with everyone at one time or another
I don't like that sense of being stood next to someone and pretending they're not there, so I usually spark up a short convo, but try keep it real. Or at least not utterly cliched.
Obviously if someone is wedged into their phone, I leave them at it.
“Do you come here often?”

I don't want people to leave me alone
Not anymore
I used to walk around thinking that low-level hating my job and workplace and co-workers was a reasonable way to spend my days
At the bottom of it all, I thought I deserved better or was better than all of them and the place itself, and I was stuck there
When really it was all of my choices brought me there
So I'm more grateful for it, happy to have somewhere that sends me a cheque every week so I can do the things I really want to do that excite me
Most people can be as happy as they decide to be, I think

Upshot being that I'm not going to be the guy glowering at the floor in the lift saying nothing, I'll just smile and say something true, and possibly kind for those 20-30 seconds

Happy Friday, fuckers

I've only used a lift daily in one job, in a big university in lower Manhattan where almost all of the students would have been considerably and very clearly much more wealthy than I was. Or Ice T.

But I was getting onto the elevator having ridden the length of Manhattan more or less so I was either caked in sweat and salt or dressed in some weird cold weather cycling clothes, I felt awkward, trying to start a convo with someone felt like a bit of an imposition at the time.

Another thing I felt was a lot of them were kids more or less, and they'd assume I was hitting on them. A lot of them were Russian oligarch type kids who looked amazing until they said something, almost no matter what they said was really upsetting.

Lol. Yeah, I'd forgotten that Ice T was going to school there, he got off on the 7th floor I think. Same floor they taught Irish, sometimes the door would open and you'd hear a lad chatting in Irish down the corridor, door would close and you're back in lower Manhattan. Ice T's wife/girlfriend was improbable looking. Coco I think her name was.

Moral of the story was I knew my place and shut the fuck up. Fair play to you @Deadmanposting though, in hindsight saying hello to people might have been a good idea.

We'll that can never be ungoogled

Did you google Coco?

I just had a look. She looks normal in photographs compared to how she looks in real life. She's one of the weirdest looking people I've ever seen.

I didn;t know who it was and I was off having lunch with a few people and mentioned I saw this nuts looking woman that morning. That was all I said, she looked mental, didn't mention any other describing attributes and everyone all at once said "Oh yeah that's Coco".

I thought I'd missed some kind of joke and tried to explain more, and everyone was all "yeah, Coco".

I gave it one more try, because it's not possible to round down the population to one person with a word, I didn't know who Coco was and I needed to explain.

"We know. That's Coco." She's about 70% boobs that look like they're running about 100 psi, and the remaining fraction was principally made up from shiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back