Minor Pleasures (13 Viewers)

Tough day at work today. Then the missus rings. I thought that was odd, so I apologised to the boss saying I had to answer this.

My boss knows her, so he knew I needed to take the call, but he was having a bad day and his patience wore thin quickly.
Man, I don't know how good I have it. It's well over 20 years since I've had a job where I couldn't just more or less take whatever phone call I wanted. I'm nobody's boss, just a standard nerd. I really ought to try and encourage my kids to be less opposed to the idea of working with computers

Which is the acceptable one? I continue to be surprised at the reinvention of this guy as some sort of musical genius.

Will everyone will fawn over Gary Barlow when he pops his clogs?

#bandsidontgetthread
George Michael had a touch of genius to him, sure.

Tory boy Barlow and doing miners-benefit shows/released an anti Iraq war song in 2002 George Michael are not really comparable tbh.

Is it not harder to make the argument he wasnt? He's got about 4 songs that are essentiallu in the fabric of time.
Me: Remember that guy from Wham , terrible hair and designer stubble?
Everyone: He won all sorts of awards , is highly regarded and has about 4 songs songs that are essentially in the fabric of time.
Me: Goodnight

Attachments

• goodnight.jpg
    goodnight.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
You're suck a grumpy dad about these pop stars hahah. Yelling at Top of the Pops.

Prince?? I call him Ponce!
I like pop music. I also like hating it. No one ever talks about the time Dionne Warwick said it was a disgrace that George Michael won a soul award because he was white.

(googles mid posting)
Funnily enough a quick Google tells me Prince/Ponce fans were talking about it .

For what it's worth I think George Michael was a righteous dude, but was baffled that he became so respected when I wasn't looking.

Anyway we should retroactively commend him for the rockabilly revival of "Faith", or maybe not.

I like pop music. I also like hating it. No one ever talks about the time Dionne Warwick said it was a disgrace that George Michael won a soul award because he was white.

(googles mid posting)
Funnily enough a quick Google tells me Prince/Ponce fans were talking about it .

For what it's worth I think George Michael was a righteous dude, but was baffled that he became so respected when I wasn't looking.

Anyway we should retroactively commend him for the rockabilly revival of "Faith", or maybe not.
yeah well I misspelt "such" as "suck" so take that.

I encourage strong opinions on pop music, but this also means laughing at the absurdity of it all. I think George Michael's music is a revelation at times, such sophisticated pop songwriting for someone so young, I don't know why he wasn't respected more. I hated him when I was 12 and Fast Love was on at all times, I suppose we live in a different world now, less music forced upon us.

Tough day at work today. Then the missus rings. I thought that was odd, so I apologised to the boss saying I had to answer this.

My boss knows her, so he knew I needed to take the call, but he was having a bad day and his patience wore thin quickly. And the call was ultimately pointless. I got off the phone, gave the boss the sorry-shrug-shoulders look, I don't know why she needed to phone me.

He took a heavy breath and said "You're fucking fired. Call your missus back, tell her you've been sacked".

"Well, that'll give her some perspective".

"Yes. Phone her back and tell her you're fucking sacked. Then I'll re-hire you".

Eased the mood a bit.
This all sounds mental to me. What sort of organisation bars you from taking a call from your spouse or partner?

This all sounds mental to me. What sort of organisation bars you from taking a call from your spouse or partner?
Ha, no no no. It's not that I'm barred or anything.

There's health and safety rules about taking calls. You can't be wandering around nattering away on the phone when there's potentially dangerous stuff happening around you. That's true for a van driver, on a building site, in a coffee shop, lots of places.
So the rule is basically, make safe whatever you're doing and go away somewhere out of the way, and take your call. The missus understands this very well, and as my boss also knows her, we were both equally surprised she called over something so frivolous.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Cormcolash
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back