Minor Musical Observations (1 Viewer)

Every female I knew at the time took this song as an anthem.

The video is mental actually, I don't know how they made that happen.

But M.I.A. has always seemed like someone who was not comfortable with anything. Don't know what the observation is, she is a bit better than a sexy girl doing bangers, but she never seemed comfortable. It also shows in interviews I've read. She still did that Superbowl show.

Look, it's a good tune and a mad video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That video is fuckin class haha

there's a program called 'the art of drumming' on sky arts at the moment; and jerry lee lewis's drummer is featured.
'i'm from the south, and we had the whole black and white thing going on at the time, for want of a better way of putting it. but the difference between white people and black people is that white people clap on the 1 and the 3 and black people clap on the 2 and the 4'

there's a program called 'the art of drumming' on sky arts at the moment; and jerry lee lewis's drummer is featured.
'i'm from the south, and we had the whole black and white thing going on at the time, for want of a better way of putting it. but the difference between white people and black people is that white people clap on the 1 and the 3 and black people clap on the 2 and the 4'
I had great craic messing about on other people's drum kits. I would play your standard 4/4, but being here, it's amazing listening to the dub/reggae stuff. It feels right, even though I look like a drunk white guy dancing, which is indeed what I am.

There was a doc years ago where Aled Jones (The Snowman kid), tried to learn how to play drums. He just couldn't do it. He's classically trained, he was utterly incapable of rocking out and also incapable of grooving. Even when Stuart fucking Copeland came in to explain rhythm to him. Quite a thing, sorry I don't have a link.

Aled ended up being a special guest at a Chris de Burgh show.

I had a greater point about I dunno, I can't find the links. It was something about London based people walking through tunnels. Anyway, music and shit. But I used to work with this dude. I still do from time to time, but he runs his own company, on top of his gansta rap thing he has going on. I wish I knew that when I was jabbing my finger into his chest. He's the real deal, I have loads of respect for him and his brother.

I do presume you are all as literate in Bulgarian hip-hop as I am.

So... Before they were Gentle Giant they were the cool and sometimes excellent Simon Dupree and the Big Sound,who had a hit with the excellent song Kites. Kites was written at the behest of the company who wanted the lads to try cash in on psychedelia. Anyhoo,the band thought it was below them with member Derek Shulman even going so far as to say it was 'utter shit'.

My minor musical observation is Kites is far superior to anything Gentle Giant ever managed to come up with under their own steam,and that they are fucking eejits.

Pop trivia

This guy, Terry H.Winkless co-wrote the screenplay for The Howling. You might know him as Bingo the Gorilla from The Banana Splits
bingo.jpg

My daughter was djing in the car earlier and all the tunes were great. None I'd heard before but one thing I noticed.. most of them were 2 mins long.

I had great craic messing about on other people's drum kits. I would play your standard 4/4, but being here, it's amazing listening to the dub/reggae stuff. It feels right, even though I look like a drunk white guy dancing, which is indeed what I am.

There was a doc years ago where Aled Jones (The Snowman kid), tried to learn how to play drums. He just couldn't do it. He's classically trained, he was utterly incapable of rocking out and also incapable of grooving. Even when Stuart fucking Copeland came in to explain rhythm to him. Quite a thing, sorry I don't have a link.

Aled ended up being a special guest at a Chris de Burgh show.
I saw that - but Aled Jones also played Moby Dick w/ a Led Zeppelin covers band in a pub.
I couldn't judge if he played it well but he could do it

he was also offered the chance to play live w/ Motorhead and Franz Ferdinand for the live on stage performance part but chose Chris de Burgh.
Christy is huge in Germany and was playing in front of 14,000 in Dusseldorf.

My daughter was djing in the car earlier and all the tunes were great. None I'd heard before but one thing I noticed.. most of them were 2 mins long.
I've been driving my 12 year old daughter into school the last few weeks, and she needs her own playlist to sing along to in the car, so stop feeling carsick.
Lots of stuff I'd no idea about like Mitski and Clairo, and Destroy Boys, and I've been really enjoying, but her playlists also have Metallica, Bikini Kill and Queen. Am delighted. The kids will be alright!

Just in regards Keith Levene, being me I obviously listen to a thousand Clash songs for every PIL song but that doesn't mean I didn't appreciate his talent.

To that end i've been playing a bit of his last gig with the Clash in tribute and it's actually a fascinating listen, hes trying really fucking hard to basically Keith Levene up lots of groovy Clash rock and roll numbers and it's kinda funny to hear all these discordant outros and solos popping up throughout.

Trying to imagine what kind of band they would have ended up as if they had PIL arrangements on top of London Calling tunes.

Last edited:
Plenty of great bands from LA but every already established songwriter from elsewhere goes into serious decline when they move there and become an LA person.

Prove me wrong.

(I recognise there's a big JONI MITCHELL shaped flaw in that argument but I'm not especially enamoured by her stuff no matter how hard I try.)

I've listened to all Grace Jones albums this weekend in order.

The AMOUNT of bass on 2008s Hurricaine ,compared to even the records she did in Jamica in 80 ,is mad. Its amazing how production styles have changed throughout the years ..no doubt due to the removal of the technical limitations of vinyl amongst other developments

Also her 70s disco records are unlistenable

I've listened to all Grace Jones albums this weekend in order.

The AMOUNT of bass on 2008s Hurricaine ,compared to even the records she did in Jamica in 80 ,is mad. Its amazing how production styles have changed throughout the years ..no doubt due to the removal of the technical limitations of vinyl for a start
Are her disco years any good? I know her big years from Warm Leatherette up to Slave to the Rhythm very well but have never listened to the early albums.

I made an edit before you posted!!

The production on them.. and arrangements are seriously.. professional

Every song is in a major key

Ahahaha

Well now, good to know. I figured they'd at least be entertaining, but unlistenable, wow!

Speaking of Disco Grace Jones.. how is this not her? This is good disco

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back