Minor Musical Observations (2 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sure I would've hated this if I had seen it as a teenager. Now I don't. Quite the opposite in fact *puffs pipe

"infect-shee-us" is a better way of pronouncing it

Colbert : ''Ladies and gentlemen...'' surprised anyone says that without getting cancelled.

I gave a best man's speech earlier in the year. After I wrote the first draft of it I decided to remove the "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen blah blah blah" bit from the start and stick and use "everyone."

Very much doubt there were any NB people there, but it's not much effort just in case.

I don’t hear it, just sounds like a pastiche of Michael Jackson to my ears.
Yeah i can hear that. I had a similar response to songs by The Weeknd (I feel It Coming I think was the name of the song) but I like this one just on a song level i reckon, theres definitely some late 80s Buffalo Stance kinda thing homage going on production wise.

Last edited:
That did actually make me chuckle.

The music is produced to within an inch of it's life, but I mean that in a good way. I hear something else every time I listen any of their music.

It's amusing that they're basically doing a fight scene, but through dance. Which I think a teenage me would have seen as fake (not "gay", I was so woke even then), or something. But I appreciate the choreography a lot more than I used to. Those folks put the effort in. I wouldn't rely on them to have my back in a hairy situation outside a chipshop on a Saturday night, but those dancers are harder than any hard fucker.

And no, I've never seen West Side Story.
That's another one - 'I Like To Live In America' is surely racist. I avoided saying it when movie reboot came out but I've heard Puerto Rican and Latino folks say it's offensive years ago.
not criticising West Side Story (which I've never seen) as a whole just that song.

It's no "Run to the hills" but when I heard this

I just thought of this

FLEAS AND LICE did a tour of Ireland in late 1993 inc. New Ross, as I remember? They had just changed their name from MUSHROOM ATTACK.
I didn't see them but it was a seminal in the Groningen/Ireland connection.
I would have been too young to appreciate it. My music tastes were only transitioning from 2Unlimited to Nirvana in 1993

Really? How?

White people playing puerto ricans who are actually Italians (Veronese?) who are actually English?

White people playing puerto ricans who are actually Italians (Veronese?) who are actually English?
main-qimg-7ea07283810115152edec62ddbe0a8dc-lq

Ok I can see the main point of the above - the most famous film containing Puerto Ricans portrays the people mostly as stereotypes, which is kinda annoying for actual Puerto Ricans. Darby O'Gill and the Little People buzz. Fair enough ...

... but c'mere:
one of those articles said:
Latinos are a proud people; no self-respecting Puerto Rican would ever disparage her homeland in such a way. Sure, all communities have the odd self-hating member, but West Side Story‘s decision to portray half of its Latin characters as self-hating and internally racist is troubling
Bitching about your country-of-origin doesn't mean you hate yourself or are internally racist, you dope. It's pretty much the number one thing we do on thumped

Every female I knew at the time took this song as an anthem.

The video is mental actually, I don't know how they made that happen.

But M.I.A. has always seemed like someone who was not comfortable with anything. Don't know what the observation is, she is a bit better than a sexy girl doing bangers, but she never seemed comfortable. It also shows in interviews I've read. She still did that Superbowl show.

Look, it's a good tune and a mad video.

Every female I knew at the time took this song as an anthem.

The video is mental actually, I don't know how they made that happen.

But M.I.A. has always seemed like someone who was not comfortable with anything. Don't know what the observation is, she is a bit better than a sexy girl doing bangers, but she never seemed comfortable. It also shows in interviews I've read. She still did that Superbowl show.

Look, it's a good tune and a mad video.

She made a career out of anti-imperialist bangers and then married a billionaire and was never able to reconcile it. I don't mean that as a gotcha so much as I think it broke her brain because she's no fool.

I relistened to her first two albums there recently and they hold up incredibly well, I probably should listen to her other stuff.

Hmm, reading her wikipedia and maybe they never actually married? It seems she's become a born again Christian after a "vision" recently as well. Oh dear.

You think? I always thought she came across as ... well, like some stoner convinced they know All The Things. I fucking love her first album though, and the first half of her second
Yeah you're probably right. I mean, I don't think she's a fool but, eh, she has a certain strand of popstar vibe going on alright.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back