Minor Musical Observations (1 Viewer)

We went to hear the orchestra playing the soundtrack live a couple of years ago..aww man it was amazing

I was down a nostalgia based youtube hole, and apparently Jimmy Eat World is Emo. Are they?
I don't think they're any more Emo than Damien Dempsey, or Pantera.

Maybe it's a production thing. I'm not technically clever enough to explain, but you get what I mean.

I was down a nostalgia based youtube hole, and apparently Jimmy Eat World is Emo. Are they?
I don't think they're any more Emo than Damien Dempsey, or Pantera.

Maybe it's a production thing. I'm not technically clever enough to explain, but you get what I mean.
Are they a whiny pop punk band, where the guitar player does that jump in the air thing they all do? I've never listened to them. Just assumed.

Is this an old emo versus new emo thing? I only really know emo in it’s Hot Topic/cover your eyes with a dyed fringe guise, I was surprised when I read about emo originally being a spin off of 80s hardcore.

Are they a whiny pop punk band, where the guitar player does that jump in the air thing they all do? I've never listened to them. Just assumed.
Yes.
I would've just considered them a rock band. But now they're emo, they're poppunk+stupid jumps.

They caught me in the feels at a certain time in my life. A couple of times actually. Does that make them emo? They're not like the "soaring chorus" type of whiny emo.

I remember when that Bleed American song came out we (me and my mates) saw it as, I guess, post hardcore? More specifically we saw it as part of a wave of bands building on At the Drive-In, who were in turn building on Refused and Fugazi and so on, it was the more commercial end of that stuff. We saw The Middle as a very pleasing pop rock song, a bit like Pulling Teeth by Green Day perhaps, or a particularly good Dave Grohl song. I never heard anything past that album though, or before it for that matter.

When i think 2000s emo i think Victory Records.

It all got washed away by the Strokes and the garage rock revival in terms of THE KIDS though.

Last edited:
I also remember seeing this in the shops circa 2002 and thinking, "huh NME are trying to rewrite the rules of a US based phenomenon."
Perhaps they succeeded in the public imagination since 100 Reasons and Rival Schools i considered part of that whole post ATDI gang, and not emo.

nme-1.jpg

I remember when that Bleed American song came out we (me and my mates) saw it as, I guess, post hardcore? More specifically we saw it as part of a wave of bands building on At the Drive-In, who were in turn building on Refused and Fugazi and so on, it was the more commercial end of that stuff. We saw The Middle as a very pleasing pop rock song, a bit like Pulling Teeth by Green Day perhaps, or a particularly good Dave Grohl song. I never heard anything past that album though, or before it for that matter.

When i think 2000s emo i think Victory Records.

It all got washed away by the Strokes and the garage rock revival in terms of THE KIDS though.

This confused me as I was sure Jimmy Eat World predated At The Drive In but having looked it up they're both about the same age. Makes sense that in my head they'd be parallel with one being the poppy end of post hardcore aka emo and the other being the arty end. Funny enough wikipedia has them emo for both.

Genre nerding hard here sorry everyone.

This confused me as I was sure Jimmy Eat World predated At The Drive In but having looked it up they're both about the same age. Makes sense that in my head they'd be parallel with one being the poppy end of post hardcore aka emo and the other being the arty end. Funny enough wikipedia has them emo for both.

Genre nerding hard here sorry everyone.
Just my impression at the time, i hadn't come across Jimmy Eat World before Bleed American, was that a major label debut perhaps?

Emo also went from being an adjective - "an emo band; an emo song" - to a noun - "I'm an emo." Did this happen with goth as well I wonder?

So many questions!

Emo also went from being an adjective - "an emo band; an emo song" - to a noun - "I'm an emo." Did this happen with goth as well I wonder?

So many questions!
Goth was a noun before it was an adjective as it referred to a tribe/population. The architecture, literature and music were all gothic but it was a return to the original to call the black clad snakebite drinkers of the 80s goths.

Just my impression at the time, i hadn't come across Jimmy Eat World before Bleed American, was that a major label debut perhaps?

Oh yeah I figured that. The album before it was their major label debut but Bleed was probably the big breakthrough and came out when Rival Schools came along. Both bands were a big deal around then. Sunny Day Real Estate were probably the first of that poppy emo style I think.

Jimmy eat world had a couple of major label releases on a different major in the 90's before being dropped. I don't remember if they them had an indie release or two before another major took them on.

Hmm, this looks to be their major label debut single in 1996

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And their first video in 1999, which i guess means they really weren't given much of a push the first time round, no video in 1996 like!

Interesting all the same, they certainly don't sound like hits on this side of the Atlantic in the late 90s but you never know what's gonna get big in the flyover states of the USA, all that Midwestern stuff is like a different world.

this video from 1986 is the earliest mention of emo I have seen. it always makes me laugh.

basically early emo was Husker influenced bands that came out of the hardcore scene in the mid 80's e.g. Embrace, Rites of Spring (plus a lot of other DC bands), Honor Role, Squirrel Bait etc.

Dag Nasty, Swiz, Verbal Assault etc were probably what would qualify as the best of early emo hardcore.

the term emo was a taken as derogatory from day one.
I first heard it in 1993 in Maximum Rock n Roll emo was widely used for bands on No Idea Records, Dischord etc plus particularly anything that sounded like Jawbreaker or J Church both from SF.
those bands definitely would not have embraced the emo tag.

also by 1993 screamo hardcore was an established thing - Rorschach, Heroin, ABC Diablo etc.

now after Green Day and Jawbreaker (who flopped) got signed things get very confused and I couldn't tell you the evolution of the word.
the first time I heard someone called herself ''an emo'' on a Channel 4 youth programme in the early 2000's, I couldn't stop laughing as 'emo' was considered an insult. she was probably a My Chemical Romance fan - a seriously bland pop/rock band.

30 years ago AFI started off as a sort early TSOL influenced band but would cover The Cure. they ended up in Depeche Mode territory on a major label about 20 years ago with a gothy image - so maybe that's a clue.

anyway that's my take on it but tell me off you think it's bullshit.

PS - I have hardly ever heard Jimmy Eat World but when I search my birthday on wiki two music things came up:
the video for Bohemian Rhapsody was filmed that day and the singer of J.E.W. shares my birthday.

this video from 1986 is the earliest mention of emo I have seen. it always makes me laugh.

basically early emo was Husker influenced bands that came out of the hardcore scene in the mid 80's e.g. Embrace, Rites of Spring (plus a lot of other DC bands), Honor Role, Squirrel Bait etc.

Dag Nasty, Swiz, Verbal Assault etc were probably what would qualify as the best of early emo hardcore.

the term emo was a taken as derogatory from day one.
I first heard it in 1993 in Maximum Rock n Roll emo was widely used for bands on No Idea Records, Dischord etc plus particularly anything that sounded like Jawbreaker or J Church both from SF.
those bands definitely would not have embraced the emo tag.

also by 1993 screamo hardcore was an established thing - Rorschach, Heroin, ABC Diablo etc.

now after Green Day and Jawbreaker (who flopped) got signed things get very confused and I couldn't tell you the evolution of the word.
the first time I heard someone called herself ''an emo'' on a Channel 4 youth programme in the early 2000's, I couldn't stop laughing as 'emo' was considered an insult. she was probably a My Chemical Romance fan - a seriously bland pop/rock band.

30 years ago AFI started off as a sort early TSOL influenced band but would cover The Cure. they ended up in Depeche Mode territory on a major label about 20 years ago with a gothy image - so maybe that's a clue.

anyway that's my take on it but tell me off you think it's bullshit.

PS - I have hardly ever heard Jimmy Eat World but when I search my birthday on wiki two music things came up:
the video for Bohemian Rhapsody was filmed that day and the singer of J.E.W. shares my birthday.

I've never heard Rorschach called screamo before, always seen them as a wider part of power violence. Don't know the other two but bands like Funeral Diner and Circle Takes The Square would be perfect examples of screamo to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back