Minor Musical Observations (2 Viewers)

That seems like some serious stretchy bandwagoning. The Dublin pedestrian crossings inspired Billy Eilish even though she never heard them but they happen to be the same as in another city on the far side of the world???

I'll tell you what's a great public movement sound, the chimes on the Barcelona Metro as it approaches a station.
I love the Prague train station announcement chime, it's the opening chords from Ma Vlast

speaking of music and traffic, the rush hour show on dublin city FM has to be the most random, eclectic playlist of any station you can get. he'll follow rory gallagher with take that, then denise chaila and some keane then.

i know sweet FA about making or recording music - so is this just him railing against the latest trends, going after easy pickings, or is there a lot of merit in what he says?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just some old guy on a rant. If you do 100% pitch correction using autotune or melodyne or one of the others it can sound pretty unnatural. So what? The alternative he suggests is for only his favourite singers to be allowed sing

i know sweet FA about making or recording music - so is this just him railing against the latest trends, going after easy pickings, or is there a lot of merit in what he says?

I kinda think it's both. He makes a reasonable argument badly*

Autotune is sorta a fad, but also an instrument. It sounds like wallpaper now, in a few years it'll date records like every other era dates to instruments - in a way its one of the few emerging instruments that haven't been around for 70 years in some form so there is gonna be fun explorations coming along for a while.

On the other hand the importance of discordance can't be understated - in scales used in japan and china they often have an extra string on there that is deliberately out of tune to reflect the reality of the worlds discordance.

In electronic music you can really easily have literally every element perfectly in tune - this is why it lends itself to ecstacy, mdma, ketamine scenes so well - if anyone is having an even mild syneasthesian buzz from the music side they are gonna get rythm and pure simple colours - i mean whats not to like about that, compared so some out of tune mess.

That said - if you autotune the charts, anything live is going to sound madly out of tune to the casual radio ear after a few years and this could go two ways, either the revelation of the richness on the microtonality of live music, or a complete melter for reasons not understood.

So i'm a bit from column A, bit from column B.

*I've made the point before, he calls his show 'what makes this song great' and never answers the question, he kinda falls short with words a bit.

yeah, i got most of the way through the video and he basically makes an argument of 'i hate autotune used badly, but like it when it's done well', which is a rather trite argument to make; but he doesn't really address whether it *is* actually changing modern music (i guess in the way there's that similar argument, that drummers who have grown up listening to music made on drum machines are less expressive drummers, another argument which i wouldn't know whether it has merit or not. it *sounds* truthy.)

In my experience it's incredibly difficult to record drums and for them to sound anywhere near as good as a sampled kit played via midi by a real drummer. I think this stuff democratizes music - you don't need to sound spend 10 years learning how to sing or drum properly, or spend a fortune, to put out a decent sounding record

I kinda think it's both. He makes a reasonable argument badly*

That said - if you autotune the charts, anything live is going to sound madly out of tune to the casual radio ear after a few years and this could go two ways, either the revelation of the richness on the microtonality of live music, or a complete melter for reasons not understood.
Or your average punter's pitching and timing will improve and we'll all be better musicians

I'm watching Other Voices as it's streaming on FB for some reason. It seems every act is having an issue with tempo. Maybe I'm just stupid, but they all seem to speed up at random here and there. Could it be something to do with FB streaming or my internet connection. The pitch doesn't change and it doesn't skip or judder.

Thin Lizzy would have done a great version of this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm watching Other Voices as it's streaming on FB for some reason. It seems every act is having an issue with tempo. Maybe I'm just stupid, but they all seem to speed up at random here and there. Could it be something to do with FB streaming or my internet connection. The pitch doesn't change and it doesn't skip or judder.
It could be yeah. You can time-stretch audio digitally without it affecting the pitch (though it often introduces weird extraneous noises)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back