Minor Musical Observations (1 Viewer)

Fuck, here's another one.

Please tell me i'm not the first one to notice this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

my wife is mildly annoyed by the fact that on some dublin bus double deckers warning, the 'next stop please' bell is a minor fifth apart depending on whether it's pressed upstairs or downstairs.
(she may have said a minor fifth, i'm not a musician, so i may have that wrong).
The opening kind of binging sound on Air's Cherry Blossom Girl was the same as the bing used to tell you the elevator was at your floor / door opening in my old institute in MD.

ended up walking down the stairs because it was driving me mental with the ear worms.

Oxygene PT 5 is basically a cover version of Ravel's Bolero.

I've an inkling that that Britpop drumbeat and sound emerged from classic British synthpop - Yazoo, Human League, Gary Numan etc - and britpop bands rocked it up. It'd make sense that PWEI took it on.

This was the first thing that sprung to mind. Similar sound.

That's interesting.

Side theory that the drummers tend to be the ones dissapearing into the emergent drug scenes and it could be a carry over from the dance beats that would be ringing in thier ears.
It's essentially a dance beat, just with that fill to frame the bars. It's totally a programmer beat.

The Sleeper and Blur ones are disco beats with that cat-cat-cat on the snare, the Elastica is a straight up rock beat with the same snare thing. Flying Lizards is ... haha well kind of a different thing entirely

Interesting though. IMO the Flying Lizards song is the only one in which it's not annoying

This was the first thing that sprung to mind. Similar sound.

ah yeah! absolutely. I was actually going through various Gary Numan and Human League songs yesterday trying to place it but that was what I was thinking of.

The Sleeper and Blur ones are disco beats with that cat-cat-cat on the snare, the Elastica is a straight up rock beat with the same snare thing. Flying Lizards is ... haha well kind of a different thing entirely
Ah egg, I appreciate the technical details but just as how writers shouldn't be allowed sing songs, musicians should not be allowed talk about music. Architecting about dancing, frankly. There's heaven and earth and everything inbetween happening in the "snare thing" there. Same with you @ann post and your "essentially a dance beat."

Interesting though. IMO the Flying Lizards song is the only one in which it's not annoying

🚫

Ah egg, I appreciate the technical details but just as how writers shouldn't be allowed sing songs, musicians should not be allowed talk about music. Architecting about dancing, frankly.
Hahaha zing!

Non-musicians shite-ing on about music are like anthropologists making ill-informed pronouncements about some tribe without having bothered to learn the tribe's language :p

ah yeah! absolutely. I was actually going through various Gary Numan and Human League songs yesterday trying to place it but that was what I was thinking of.

e.g. 8 seconds in

I actually have used it (told the drummer to use it) in songs, based on my love of Magnetic Fields, who use it a lot, and they're influenced by the above.
e.g.

It's the timbre of the snare used as much as the beat - feels synthy.

e.g. 8 seconds in

I actually have used it (told the drummer to use it) in songs, based on my love of Magnetic Fields, who use it a lot, and they're influenced by the above.
e.g.

It's the timbre of the snare used as much as the beat - feels synthy.

Yeah, it's a great beat. Britpop and synthpop forever. A lot of those bands would be coming from an early synthpop teenagerhood so it makes sense that it seeped in.

I like Magnetic Fields a lot but they're a bit serious musicians doing serious jokes in their clever art as opposed to a bunch of absolute chancers dropping in a disco-ish beat because they're chasing a hit, which is kind of more Britpop, and Gary Numan for that matter.
In my head it's in a joy division tune too, i have no idea which one
Heart and Soul perhaps? Or the synth-y Feels Like I'm in Love drums on Insight?

Last edited:
Not close enough for the "___sounds like___" thread, but every time I hear this

I get this stuck in my head

Fuck you Villagers

I think Villagers are shite and are a total rip off of yer man Sufjan.

And that Simpatico song? Pathetico more like

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back