Minor Musical Observations (1 Viewer)

I'm missing something. What is it that's the same?

Listen to the keys melody at 13 secs into the george mccrea tune. The rythmn of those three notes is 'dancing queen'.
The same riff is done vocally in the one you posted at about 5/6 seconds.

@Lili Marlene

The keys on Man out of time by elvis costello were supposed to echo Dancing Queen FYI. (They do)

Listen to the keys melody at 13 secs into the george mccrea tune. The rythmn of those three notes is 'dancing queen'.
The same riff is done vocally in the one you posted at about 5/6 seconds.
I had to concentrate really hard to hear it, but you're right by god. Now it's as clear as day.

While we're at it , and for what it's worth, I think the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy theme music could be spliced into the closing section of Ghost's Pro Memoria quite easily

@0m57secs
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@4m44s

Back to Abba... (should I be calling them ABBA?)... I was just reading this bit by Wayne Coyne and liked it. I'm not sure he's right about them not knowing what they're talking about, I've never paid that much attention to their words.

Wayne Coyne said:
Something about it reminded us of ABBA. And what I liked about ABBA is that they're singing about something that sounds rebellious and revolutionary, but it's very sweet-sounding at the same time. And because English too wasn't their first language, I always felt like they didn't quite know what they were talking about, which was better. So we took this ridiculously overused line, ‘assassins of youth,’ and we pretended that we were like ABBA—we’re not quite sure what it means in English, but we know what it means in Swedish or whatever. It's just great, triumphant classic-rock stuff. It presents itself like it's an important message. And then when you dissect it, you’re like, ‘I'm not sure what you're saying.’

While we're at it , and for what it's worth, I think the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy theme music could be spliced into the closing section of Ghost's Pro Memoria quite easily

@0m57secs

@4m44s

Please don't taint Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

A 3-note rhythm? That's a pretty tenuous connection don't you think?

I'm worried now that people are going to start spotting all the stuff I stole was inspired by in my own songs

I think in this case ABBA flagged it themselves, so I went looking to see what was similar, and those three notes are basically a lift, as are a few other elements. I didn't work out the chords to either but i *think* by my ear what abba did was just add more changing of the same chords per bar in the intro.
I have a whole mental image of a young Benny working out the tune on some keyboard and messing with the chords a bit as a jam, and eventualy finding the change to the 'you can dance', flatpacked straight into the charts.

Checked the chords

Benny/bjorn kinda lifted in an odd way*. Made it more of a major thing.

*a nerdy music lift.

Rock your baby runs fm7 to Eb

Eb is nearly identical to fm7 (you change one finger on guitar)

Benny and bjorn run

A to D
but the D they use is more of a A with one finger added, and is *kinda* the same transition

i.e.

Both songs barely change chord for the intro, more a floating in key thing.

I noticed a cough in the right channel of the Velvet Underground's Here comes the sun.

Also Fujiya and Miyagi are basically updated late 70s Can.

Building on the Phoebe Bridgers talk elsewhere,

There's an entire generation of what i'm going to call "post-Mitski" female singer-songwriters at the moment, mostly on major labels or the big indies - Bridgers, Soccer Mommy, Snail Mail, Julien Baker, Frankie Cosmos (maybe), Lucy Dacus, Faye Webster, King Princess (to an extent) - and they're all doing this slightly more indie rock take on turn of the century mall rock (i'm talking Avril Lavigne doing Complicated and very much Torn by Natalie Imbruglia). It's all quite likeable, certainly I enjoy most of it , but a lot of it fades into the background and it does sound often like a smoothed out Mitski.

My thoughts are that back circa 2005/6 when there were a billion lad bands (with a female bassist) some wag came up with the term "landfill-indie" to dismiss the music out of hand, but this current crop are all selling self-care, kindness, and dealing with your anxieties so to criticise them en masse like this would lead to a ton of bricks falling on you on social media. I'm curious as to where this will all go.

None of this is to take away from their talent or anything, it's mostly just me trying to process it all.

That's it.
My excellent daughter hipped me to this track yesterday and I am H O O K E D on it

New Mitski fan here. Never even heard of her ..pitchfork album of the year 2018

I don't read pitchfork. I've tried but I never find the music they champion that I happened to have checked out to be any use

Been listening to a bit or Springsteen recently and noticed something he does a lot. He sings a chorus, same melody and same meter but uses new lyrics, later in the song.
I nabbed that trick for my latest tune and it's a golden tool for the ol' songwriting.

I was thinking about how this old Sleeper song is a bit of a BANGER there this morning, and how it sounds very like XTC circa 1980

anyway, then I found this earlier version of it, and realised how it is in fact a massive, MASSIVE Pixies rip off

there's some comment to be made here about how indie music moved on inbetween early 1993 and early 1995, and also the strength of a producer like Stephen Street (for better or for worse i'm not sure)

for the attention of : @chris d the only other person on here who actually likes Sleeper.

I have another Sleeper related observation for this thread i'll post later.

Ok, my other observation.

this drumbeat here: thump... thump.... thump ....THUMPTHUMPTHUMP

is this the BRITPOP drumbeat? I want more examples to build this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back