Minor Musical Observations (1 Viewer)

Been recording Ghost Town with the kids (as mentioned before, hopefully will finish it off soon), and I'm struck by how off-the-wall it is harmonically. Most of it is in C minor, but then there's a big E major chord at the end of the verse (the note E isn't even in the C minor scale), and the "do you remember the good old days before the ghost town" bit is in F# major. I don't how the fuck it works, but obvs it does. Applause for The Specials

Emaj is in C#m though. It’s relative minor I think
nice little semi-tonal side shift

"Big Stripey Lie" by Kate Bush came on randomly on my player there earlier and the jagged guitar playing caught my ear. Turns out she plays guitar and bass herself on that one, I'd never checked before. Reminds me a lot of Bowie's excellent playing on Diamond Dogs.

It has one of the most famous bass lines in history but there's no bass on the first verse of the originally released You Can't Hurry Love single

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've had this song on my playlist for a few months because it sounds like an icelandic pre-cursor to this - especially the chorus. False friends?

my wife is mildly annoyed by the fact that on some dublin bus double deckers warning, the 'next stop please' bell is a minor fifth apart depending on whether it's pressed upstairs or downstairs.
(she may have said a minor fifth, i'm not a musician, so i may have that wrong).

my wife is mildly annoyed by the fact that on some dublin bus double deckers warning, the 'next stop please' bell is a minor fifth apart depending on whether it's pressed upstairs or downstairs.
(she may have said a minor fifth, i'm not a musician, so i may have that wrong).

can someone record this. I assume its for deaf people - and the upstairs is the b5?

A b5 is of course the note of satan so maybe it should be the downstairs.

go risk infection and tell me

i was wondering if it was possibly the bell presses near the front downstairs - to alert the driver it might be a mobility impaired person getting off.

I bet it's to help the driver hear them both. A minor 5th (or flattened 5th, or b5, or tritone) is one of the most dissonant intervals. If they were, say, a major 3rd apart then if they both sounded at the same time they'd harmonise and easily sound like the same note, and the driver might think only the downstairs one was pressed, and not wait for someone to descend the stairs. That won't happen with a tritone

Joxer Goes To Stuttgart is written to the tune of Match Of The Day

only recently copped this

(possibly heard about it on thumped, not sure. don't think so, can't remember)

Joxer Goes To Stuttgart is written to the tune of Match Of The Day

only recently copped this

(possibly heard about it on thumped, not sure. don't think so, can't remember)
I heard about it on the mario rosenstock show on Sunday.

"Of h lord it's so hard to be humble" is just a slowed down Mexican Hat Dance. I realised that this week while whistling to myself.

A backing track obviously inspired by Sly & The Family Stone, but the fascinating thing is that IT apparently inspired the backing track to Dancing Queen

You'll have to take it up with ABBA, they're the ones who said it! I mean, I can hear it but no, it's not exactly the same if you think i'm saying that.

I'm missing something. What is it that's the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back