Minor Musical Observations (4 Viewers)

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I'm listening to this great P-Funk offshoot album, Quazar, and I really do enjoy it, but it does strike me that all the songs are about twice as fast as they should be. I wonder if that's partly why it sank without a trace at the time? (there's a whole real-life saga around it as well that i'm not getting into)

Funk that's almost impossible to dance to... is it still funk??

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Never considered that it was this lad who wanted the funk, who NEEDED the funk

source.gif

Maybe it's one of those baffling why-did-they-bother they-should-never-have-done-it sped-up-to-fit-on-an-lp albums?
Todd Rundgren's Utopia is the only example of such a thing that I can think of

It's on the one so it's funk. Defo not too fast to dance to.

Speaking of fast things, air-guitaring along to Bob Dylan's Lily, Rosemary and the Jack Of Hearts is quite energetic exercise, makes me quite giddy. I did it for the first time recently. Do it the whole way through

I love the way that in this the emphasised syllable in each line changes in the 2nd half of the verse. Always makes me want to jump out of my seat and dance

Building on the Phoebe Bridgers talk elsewhere,

There's an entire generation of what i'm going to call "post-Mitski" female singer-songwriters at the moment, mostly on major labels or the big indies - Bridgers, Soccer Mommy, Snail Mail, Julien Baker, Frankie Cosmos (maybe), Lucy Dacus, Faye Webster, King Princess (to an extent) - and they're all doing this slightly more indie rock take on turn of the century mall rock (i'm talking Avril Lavigne doing Complicated and very much Torn by Natalie Imbruglia). It's all quite likeable, certainly I enjoy most of it , but a lot of it fades into the background and it does sound often like a smoothed out Mitski.

My thoughts are that back circa 2005/6 when there were a billion lad bands (with a female bassist) some wag came up with the term "landfill-indie" to dismiss the music out of hand, but this current crop are all selling self-care, kindness, and dealing with your anxieties so to criticise them en masse like this would lead to a ton of bricks falling on you on social media. I'm curious as to where this will all go.

None of this is to take away from their talent or anything, it's mostly just me trying to process it all.

That's it.

Been recording Ghost Town with the kids (as mentioned before, hopefully will finish it off soon), and I'm struck by how off-the-wall it is harmonically. Most of it is in C minor, but then there's a big E major chord at the end of the verse (the note E isn't even in the C minor scale), and the "do you remember the good old days before the ghost town" bit is in F# major. I don't how the fuck it works, but obvs it does. Applause for The Specials

To show that i'm not just a HATER, I would like to point out that I think this was one of the best songs of 2016:

Been recording Ghost Town with the kids (as mentioned before, hopefully will finish it off soon), and I'm struck by how off-the-wall it is harmonically. Most of it is in C minor, but then there's a big E major chord at the end of the verse (the note E isn't even in the C minor scale), and the "do you remember the good old days before the ghost town" bit is in F# major. I don't how the fuck it works, but obvs it does. Applause for The Specials
Jerry Dammers innit? An actual Genius. These days he only appears to do tributes to Sun Ra.

Applause and Stand for your National Anthem

To show that i'm not just a HATER, I would like to point out that I think this was one of the best songs of 2016:

I would be happy if my nieces were listening to this kind of thing

#youknowyouregettingold thread

My thoughts are that back circa 2005/6 when there were a billion lad bands (with a female bassist) some wag came up with the term "landfill-indie" to dismiss the music out of hand, but this current crop are all selling self-care, kindness, and dealing with your anxieties so to criticise them en masse like this would lead to a ton of bricks falling on you on social media. I'm curious as to where this will all go.

so they are writing from a more Platonic angle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back