Minor Musical Observations (1 Viewer)

ernesto

Big stanks
Supporter
Website
strikeaction.bandcamp.com
Been recording Ghost Town with the kids (as mentioned before, hopefully will finish it off soon), and I'm struck by how off-the-wall it is harmonically. Most of it is in C minor, but then there's a big E major chord at the end of the verse (the note E isn't even in the C minor scale), and the "do you remember the good old days before the ghost town" bit is in F# major. I don't how the fuck it works, but obvs it does. Applause for The Specials

Emaj is in C#m though. It’s relative minor I think
nice little semi-tonal side shift

hiadudiad?

Supporter
Solutions
"Big Stripey Lie" by Kate Bush came on randomly on my player there earlier and the jagged guitar playing caught my ear. Turns out she plays guitar and bass herself on that one, I'd never checked before. Reminds me a lot of Bowie's excellent playing on Diamond Dogs.

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
my wife is mildly annoyed by the fact that on some dublin bus double deckers warning, the 'next stop please' bell is a minor fifth apart depending on whether it's pressed upstairs or downstairs.
(she may have said a minor fifth, i'm not a musician, so i may have that wrong).

ann post

Supporter
my wife is mildly annoyed by the fact that on some dublin bus double deckers warning, the 'next stop please' bell is a minor fifth apart depending on whether it's pressed upstairs or downstairs.
(she may have said a minor fifth, i'm not a musician, so i may have that wrong).

can someone record this. I assume its for deaf people - and the upstairs is the b5?

A b5 is of course the note of satan so maybe it should be the downstairs.

go risk infection and tell me

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
i was wondering if it was possibly the bell presses near the front downstairs - to alert the driver it might be a mobility impaired person getting off.

egg_

nerd/hippy
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I bet it's to help the driver hear them both. A minor 5th (or flattened 5th, or b5, or tritone) is one of the most dissonant intervals. If they were, say, a major 3rd apart then if they both sounded at the same time they'd harmonise and easily sound like the same note, and the driver might think only the downstairs one was pressed, and not wait for someone to descend the stairs. That won't happen with a tritone

dunderhead

Joxer Goes To Stuttgart is written to the tune of Match Of The Day

only recently copped this

(possibly heard about it on thumped, not sure. don't think so, can't remember)

therealjohnny

Supporter
"Of h lord it's so hard to be humble" is just a slowed down Mexican Hat Dance. I realised that this week while whistling to myself.

Lili Marlene

Trying not to have a bad day
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions

A backing track obviously inspired by Sly & The Family Stone, but the fascinating thing is that IT apparently inspired the backing track to Dancing Queen

Lili Marlene

Trying not to have a bad day
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
You'll have to take it up with ABBA, they're the ones who said it! I mean, I can hear it but no, it's not exactly the same if you think i'm saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

We're listening to...

• Hatchback
    Hatchback
    Cochise
    Hatchback

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads