Minor complaints thread (17 Viewers)

was a well-intentioned guy that lost his way a very very long time ago

Seems like he was just a professor in Canada that got lucky with a book he wrote and he’s now morphed into a ranting proselytizer.

He’s not the only one. There’s lots of people offering these men support – the internet has endless guides to life - but guys like this and Rogan who make these guys mad, they resonate more.

Like Putin with imaginary Ukraine full of nazis or Johnson with his evil EU crouched at Calais waiting to pounce – tell people they’re threatened and they will listen to you.
Peterson could tell these guys to be good people without telling them there’s a threat from women or whoever.
He could just tell them to read Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius or the Buddha or Socrates whatever philosophers are out there
But he doesn’t want them to be good, he wants them to be mad.

Any way up, I am not sure about the merits of giving him money and going to the 3Arena to listen to his guff.

He's not for me, lads
I'm too smart!

Last edited:
Ha, right yeah, fair enough. How long ago though? We should read Maps of Meaning and see what we make of it.

But he doesn’t want them to be good, he wants them to be mad.
Sometimes I wonder if these guys even care one way or the other. I get the feeling off these guys, Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Reilly, Trump, whoever, that the only goal is self promotion. I'm not sure they fully believe or have deep commitments about any agenda other than promoting themselves.

If outrage and anger is good fuel for that goal, they'll use that. But it's a means to an end. The goal is to have attention and feel important, if preaching crystal healing or power of Christ works, they'd hop to that train. Perceived male injustice or bias or anger amplification just happens to be their brand.

Sometimes I wonder if these guys even care one way or the other. I get the feeling off these guys, Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Reilly, Trump, whoever, that the only goal is self promotion. I'm not sure they fully believe or have deep commitments about any agenda other than promoting themselves.

If outrage and anger is good fuel for that goal, they'll use that. But it's a means to an end. The goal is to have attention and feel important, if preaching crystal healing or power of Christ works, they'd hop to that train. Perceived male injustice or bias or anger amplification just happens to be their brand.
These guys love power and status – that’s why they’re in the game

Once you’re there, it is enormously easy to convince yourself that the thing you like and benefits you is also the correct thing for you to do.

You can convince yourself of your own altruism.

Carlson has tried it a bunch of ways, this has worked best for him, so he’ll keep doing it.

This is the wrong thread for all of this chatter, @pete

These guys love power and status – that’s why they’re in the game

Once you’re there, it is enormously easy to convince yourself that the thing you like and benefits you is also the correct thing for you to do.

You can convince yourself of your own altruism.

Carlson has tried it a bunch of ways, this has worked best for him, so he’ll keep doing it.

This is the wrong thread for all of this chatter, @pete
I'd say it's something like this:

Stewart Lee plays a caricature of himself on stage, for comedic effect. There's some core idea or anxiety that he has, and he turns that up to silly levels for a joke. And then he tells everyone that's what he's doing, just so people are clear (because some people aren't).

These guys probably do have some core mysogeny / rage / whatever, I'm not saying the entire thing is an act. But I think they turn it up for the audience. I'd guess they can rationalise this internally along the lines of I'm playing devil's advocate / asking hard questions / raising difficult issues into the conversation.

But the reality is they couldn't care less about the public conversation, only that they're part of it.

Not like me, who keeps his head down and doesn't broadcast his thoughts all over the... oh right.

Finally guessed the Wordle in 2 but after previously complaining about people sharing their results, I now face an existential crisis

they're kangoing up the footpath outside. it's noisy, which means i can't open the window, but that also means that because the sun is shining on the window of this room, i'm too warm, even with the blind pulled down.

Finally guessed the Wordle in 2 but after previously complaining about people sharing their results, I now face an existential crisis

I got it in 2 recently as well. One letter in the wrong spot after my opener and I actually spent a bit of time trying to find a potentially correct second guess rather than just burning a guess using a word I knew to be wrong to get more letters.

Users who are viewing this thread

• chris d
  • egg_
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back