Minor complaints thread (19 Viewers)

Short of winning the lottery we're doing ok with dehumidifiers and airing the place out for now. It's amazing how many problems can be fixed keeping the place well aired.

Tiny evolution of my 'dehumidifiers fix everything' manifesto.

Got a timer plug in a charity store because while I never sleep anyways, listening to it at night was annoying. Running 9.30* to 2300 ish and it still is maintaining the place well enough.

Got one of these hygrometers just to get an idea what it actually does, which has largely taught me that I like it to be about 18 degrees and about 67 humids in the house. In summer i just put the dehumidifier in the high 70s as the windows were open, and when they were closed at night it would rarely switch on at all.

I assume damp air is harder to heat so besides not living with spores there might be a small energy return there. Might learn about that later for the craic.

s-l300.jpg

*peak electricity usage rolls off around this time, there is no saving for me but there is a microscopic advantage in not using background devices like this during peak times.

I was in Dunloe, Donegal a couple of days ago. To see a whole (new) estate boarded up and being reclaimed by nature is quite the thing

It's kinda horrible. I've mates who'd be in thier 70s whos house is going that way. It's not the age to be packing up and starting again even if they get redress, the whole grandkids era happened in that place.

Tiny evolution of my 'dehumidifiers fix everything' manifesto.

Got a timer plug in a charity store because while I never sleep anyways, listening to it at night was annoying. Running 9.30* to 2300 ish and it still is maintaining the place well enough.

Got one of these hygrometers just to get an idea what it actually does, which has largely taught me that I like it to be about 18 degrees and about 67 humids in the house. In summer i just put the dehumidifier in the high 70s as the windows were open, and when they were closed at night it would rarely switch on at all.

I assume damp air is harder to heat so besides not living with spores there might be a small energy return there. Might learn about that later for the craic.

View attachment 15183

*peak electricity usage rolls off around this time, there is no saving for me but there is a microscopic advantage in not using background devices like this during peak times.
A dehumidifer running for 14 hours a day?? Surely the costs rack up? And how long would a dehumidifier last running like that?

Motorbike Tech Support for WFH'ers.

My minor complaint is that I'm too lazy to actualise this great idea for a business I just had.

A dehumidifer running for 14 hours a day?? Surely the costs rack up? And how long would a dehumidifier last running like that?

UTM has a whole garage filled with books that has to be humidity controlled 24/7 - the over the counter one out there has basically been running 24/7 for about 5 years now.
That one is newer, the one in the house is a bit older - i've actually metered and it runs about 100w.

Essentially what it actually is mechanically is a small fridge, so they just go and go.

Comparisons -
work pc, has to be on nearly all the time because is about 180w
laptop charges at 65w
cooking ring is 1700w

So the answer is, yes it does - when I say it's on 11 hours, It's only actually switching on when the humids hit about 68 ish, so some days not at all - i can pretty easily throw a meter on it and see what its does in a day though.

I did think it was a bit of a spend, but then not having damp patches and stuff in the house is a good enough trade off for me. Building a new house would be more electricity.

I'm not against it! I'm just trying to justify buying another dehumidifier because carrying my current one from the kitchen to the living room is too much effort.

You don't really need to move them around - the moisture will move to the dry air it creates anyways, I just leave the doors open between rooms until I'm at the do nothing for the evening point of the day.

I totally forgot that Steven Pinker and Malcolm Gladwell are not the same person and i've just been reminded and now i'm a bit more depressed about the world.

I saw Pinker before the lockdown.

He completely copied some other lad's talk. Possibly that Swedish lad Hans Rosling's talk... I mean, fucking verbatim almost.

And generally gave off the impression of being a prick. I liked him before I went in there, more or less. At least enough to bother my hole to walk over to his talk.

But yeah, nah. Prick. I said so at the time and everything. I said, "Prick".

i read a few of his books about 20 years ago, which i remember enjoying. i lost track of him after that.
Preferred his earlier stuff you're saying.

Nah, he wrote interesting things. Maybe I was expecting more than I should have. I dunno.

I have to take our annual sexual harassment training. I'm not sure how the fuck I'm supposed to harass people in work when I haven't shown up for about 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back