Minor complaints thread (40 Viewers)

i'm kinda disappointed i've never seen a journalistic takedown of repak. it's possibly the most laughable 'regulator in bed with the regulated' organisation i can think of right now.

well, my limited knowledge of this is several years old, but:
if you're a producer, manufacturer, retailer etc. above a certain size; i.e. anyone who needs to use packaging on a commercial basis - there's a host of regulations you need to comply with, and some of them involve a decent bit of paperwork.
however, if you join repak (and they used to boast about this openly on their site, i think they've couched the language a bit now) for the grand total of about €150p.a., you are deemed *instantly* compliant with the regulations. as in, you don't need to worry about regulations anymore. this does come with the cost though of potentially being audited, which at the time was a one in 9000 chance in any one year.
the funny thing is, the 'join an organisation to be considered instantly compliant with legal regulations' is backed by law.

ha! Great.

Tesco, Coca-Cola, and the "National Plastic Packaging Group" would never have any reason to influence the policies of a recycling body.

Repak might be a mess, but the symbols for what material things are made from are a usable guide. I just shared repak because they had them in one place.

I suspect the lid will have the rigid plastics symbol in it and the rest is trash because they embed the threads reviecer in the carton.

ANYWHOO

TLDR domestic - and single material version of the below-

Rigid plastics
Aluminium*
steel
Paper
Glass

are easy to recycle.

some newer multi part plastic things are designed to be easily dismantled into single material pieces.

The rest is trash.

*aluminium is really the big one - the amount of energy that goes into extracting it is huge, and to recycle it is nearly just crushing it into a new shape.

Do we still "recycle" by sending trash to other countries? anywhoo you're way out of that one

"Joining Repak gives your business full, cost-effective compliance with EU Packaging Regulations"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

well, my limited knowledge of this is several years old, but:
if you're a producer, manufacturer, retailer etc. above a certain size; i.e. anyone who needs to use packaging on a commercial basis - there's a host of regulations you need to comply with, and some of them involve a decent bit of paperwork.
however, if you join repak (and they used to boast about this openly on their site, i think they've couched the language a bit now) for the grand total of about €150p.a., you are deemed *instantly* compliant with the regulations. as in, you don't need to worry about regulations anymore. this does come with the cost though of potentially being audited, which at the time was a one in 9000 chance in any one year.
the funny thing is, the 'join an organisation to be considered instantly compliant with legal regulations' is backed by law.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A couple of neighbours just fuck their unused half sliced pans out in the road for the odd passing pigeon to enjoy.
A fairly odd interpretation of recycling.

Words got out among the seagull community and there was a load of noisy gulls going nuts outside the window this morning several hours before alarm o'clock.
It's increased my hatred of seagulls and dislike of bread.
Made me gulluten intolerant.

yep. been here nine years, first time we've received a letter for ground rent. €76 so not exactly ball-busting. €1.1k to buy it out.

so i ended up listening to liveline earlier, because joe duffy was talking about this. apparently barrowloads of those letters were sent out this wee all over dublin. christ, the man is barely fit to host a local radio show, that was embarrasingly bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

• ernesto
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back