Minor complaints thread (22 Viewers)

For my sins I'm listening to Malcolm Gladwell and he's decided that everyone should consider taking fairy tales seriously and no, he's not going to check if there's decades, if not centuries of scholarship on this. This is his idea and he's just thought of it.

i listened to one of his podcasts yesterday, where he gleefully discovers that there is a 'danger' that autonomous vehicles could result in the roads being reclaimed by pedestrians and cyclists etc.
this is not a new concept.

FYI it's better for teh wildlife if you just leave it where it is. Dead trees are important habitats for lots of things
I will need to move it from its current location as it's right on top of the septic tank and is blocking access to the back of the copse. But I'll just be making it manageable and dragging it into the woods a bit. Then the birds and the bees can do as they please.

I've just been cleaning the bathroom for hours while she cleaned the kitchen for hours.

I've moaned about the lack of skilled tradespeople these days, but god I can really see it here doing this deep clean. I mean, I'm a labourer, I'm a crap painter and a crap chippie, but looking here at whatever the last dickhead did, and the dickhead before that, and the dickhead before that...honestly it makes it hard to go on. If I can confidently say "I could do better than this", then that means it's REALLY bad.

I've just been cleaning the bathroom for hours while she cleaned the kitchen for hours.

I've moaned about the lack of skilled tradespeople these days, but god I can really see it here doing this deep clean. I mean, I'm a labourer, I'm a crap painter and a crap chippie, but looking here at whatever the last dickhead did, and the dickhead before that, and the dickhead before that...honestly it makes it hard to go on. If I can confidently say "I could do better than this", then that means it's REALLY bad.

This is UTM's place over and over. Invariably getting into one job reveals an archeology of fuckery.

This years project is rebuilding the office room - original plan - do new better shelves.

So far.

Found gaping hole to outside left there by gas installer.
Gas hot output pipe to the hot press was in the attic, completely uninsulated over 8M.
Floor parts where previous gas was removed were finished in rough concrete to the level of the tiles.
Tiles are unlevel.
Shelf builder cut a bit off the windowsill instead of cutting around it.
other gas install had the time installed in a bypass of some sort, making it off/on but never timed.
Painter just stopped half way up a wall, not a cut around of anything, just walked away mid paint.
Old desk doesn't have a footwell, is unusable.

So instead of building shelves i'm stripping it to the core, remaking the the floor, refinishing all the walls, insulating lots of stuff, filling a hole in the wall and then building shelves.

You thought wrong.
I mean, there's loads of Irish immigrants of all kinds. There always has been. They generally kept the standards pretty high though. When the standards started to drop is a bit to do with neoconservatism, a bit to do with increased European integration, a bit to do with a whole lot of things that are too complicated for your average Brexit voter to understand.

You would not believe the shit I find in attics and 'junction boxes', mains cables in tape joints, chewing gum as a gel crimp, plugs wired in alarm cable. Not just Gunther stuff but actually lethal 'work'

You would not believe the shit I find in attics and 'junction boxes', mains cables in tape joints, chewing gum as a gel crimp, plugs wired in alarm cable. Not just Gunther stuff but actually lethal 'work'

An electrician friend took over a contract from someone and later discovered the previous electrician was colourblind. Still dealing with it years later.

An electrician friend took over a contract from someone and later discovered the previous electrician was colourblind. Still dealing with it years later.
Being colourblind shouldn’t make a difference though, you can only have colourblindness that:
1) Makes red and green look the same
Or
2) Makes blue and yellow look the same

I know there are blue and yellow wires but the yellow wires have a green stripe.

Being colourblind shouldn’t make a difference though, you can only have colourblindness that:
Or

I know there are blue and yellow wires but the yellow wires have a green stripe.
a mate of mine failed a medical for an electrician's apprenticeship years back due to colourblindness.

Or

Of course it will make a difference;
massive percentage of houses in Ireland and the uk are still wired in the old coloured cables which has red as live and black as neutral.

also electricians don’t just work on mains cables and only in houses, there are other aspects too - switch-wires for lights, industrial work like where cables are different colour codes, eg automated lighting cables, network cables, HVAC, automation cables etc

Speaking of useless tradesmen

Sometime last year my Dad noticed a rumbling coming from the hot water pipes upstairs and a leak downstairs. He got a guy recommended by a guy who knows a guy in to have a look. He tore up the floorboards and did some work.

The rumbling and leak returned.

Guy came back tore up the floorboards....... and left, never to be seen again, because he got a new job in a local factory. He didn't think to inform Dad that he wasn't going to finish the job and stopped answering calls and messages.

So my Dad got another guy in. The same thing happened. Botched repair job, then ghosting, never to be contacted again.

The latest guy ( another friend of a friend) came in and explained that when the bolier was installed about 40 years ago, it wasn't done right, so it will be a big job to put it right. Dad said, well it has to be done, and on his advice tore up the kitchen tiles and removed the fireplace to allow access. Alarm bells started ringing when this guy's electrician pal didn't show up. Turns out he is a notorious drunk and was "probably in the pub". It also transpired he was the same lush who tried to swindle my sister for a botched job.

Wondering why this plumber hadn't got in touch in a while he rang him up today, only to find the guy has also just walked off the job and has no intention of returning, because" it's a mess". He also didn't feel the need to let Dad know he wouldn't be finishing the job.

All the while I am silently screaming "JUST GET A PROPER REGISTERED PLUMBER FOR CHRIST'S SAKE"

The saga isn't over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• M
  • G
  • dudley
  • rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back