Teeth: Enter At Your Own Risk (1 Viewer)

my teeth are really yellow the last ten years. when i get them cleaned
by a dentist it makes little difference.
she's says that's just the colour they are.

brushing your teeth everyday won't perform any miracles.

personally i'd rather lose a few pounds than have nice teeth.
i don't mind having say, psoraisis (sic), but being overweight for 24 years
due to medication and is something i'll never get used to.

I'm never going to have pearly whites but I have found the yellowish tint to them has lessened a bit in the last couple of years since I introduced either a teeth whitening toothpaste or mouthwash into my cleaning routine.

I sold waaay out last year and got some whitening toothpaste
and it made no difference - waste of money.
anything that purports to kill germs isn't going into my mouth.
some Germs are good.
especially Communist Eyes.

the reason i go to the dentist is to pre-empt getting tooth pain

I brushed my teeth meticulously from the ages of 11 to 24.
but i never went to the dentist in that period.
but then (20 years) ago i had two teeth pulled out.

having a tooth pulled never hurt me.
fillings are worse and actually cleaning is sorer -
maybe i was just lucky

later i was quoted 800 Euro in 2004 for a route canal job to
save ONE tooth.
and about 2009 700 Euro for same procedure to save ONE tooth.
both times i opted to have the teeth pulled.

800 Euro in 2004 was what i would have spent on luxuries in 4 plus
months, so it was a no brainer decision for me.
records are better than teeth.

the second time i had been telling the dentist the tooth was sensitive
every visit for 3 years and she could never find anything wrong.
i was eating with only one side of my mouth because of that and was
delighted to have the tooth gone.

the only other complaint i'd have about my dentist is her habit of
making you come in for 15-20 minutes per procedure to rather
than doing several things in one session.
they don't seem to realize doing the lot in an hour would save people
a lot of time.

that used to really annoy me but thankfully my teeth have been OK since 2011.

I'm always caught off-guard by how unpleasant the dentist cleaning is. I'm all thrilled at not needing any fillings and at the prospect of getting all cleaned and shiny and then that nastiness starts up. I always seem to get a few gum stabs too.

I had to get two wisdom teeth removed before Christmas (after 40+ years they'd decided to erupt sideways and were damaging bone). Grand, but they talked me into a deep clean at the same time. Pretty sure it caused an infection above my front tooth, had searing pain in it for a fortnight after, and the rest of my teeth were intensely sensitive to either hot or cold liquids. Only now is the sensitivity receding as I'm encouraging the filth to build back up ;)

I have one baby tooth though, in place of a canine, and the canine has been embedded in the bone above my whole life. But I think whatever caused the wisdom teeth to finally start moving has caused the same for this embedded canine. I feel a lot pressure above the tooth which relieved somewhat when a filling broke. I guess it was pushed out 8(

Anyway, my dentist hadn't been taking anyone recently unless they were in excruciating pain, which I wasn't. But as restrictions have now eased I went to their site to see if they were, and noticed TONS of one star google reviews. and now I'm too afraid!

Why am I telling you all this?

I had to get two wisdom teeth removed before Christmas (after 40+ years they'd decided to erupt sideways and were damaging bone). Grand, but they talked me into a deep clean at the same time. Pretty sure it caused an infection above my front tooth, had searing pain in it for a fortnight after, and the rest of my teeth were intensely sensitive to either hot or cold liquids. Only now is the sensitivity receding as I'm encouraging the filth to build back up ;)

I have one baby tooth though, in place of a canine, and the canine has been embedded in the bone above my whole life. But I think whatever caused the wisdom teeth to finally start moving has caused the same for this embedded canine. I feel a lot pressure above the tooth which relieved somewhat when a filling broke. I guess it was pushed out 8(

Anyway, my dentist hadn't been taking anyone recently unless they were in excruciating pain, which I wasn't. But as restrictions have now eased I went to their site to see if they were, and noticed TONS of one star google reviews. and now I'm too afraid!

Why am I telling you all this?
To make us uncomfortable? Mission achieved.

Yeah, they really have pain management and the other stuff worked out
Are you joking me? They can't anaesthetise to save their lives but hey, it's not their pain so fuck it. I'm convinced* dentistry is a front for Procter and Gamble as all they ever do is talk about what products I need to be buying rather than actually following any kind of evidence-based practice. They all still recommend flossing for fuck's sake!

*not really

Last time I went to the dentist she was really pushing a very expensive teeth whitening kit. I said I'd think about it.

Is flossing bad now? Every dentist I've been to insists on it. Even recommding I floss twice a day.

giphy.gif

There have been two major independent reviews of the dental literature by the Cochrane initiative (basically they comb through every study and work out whether the evidence stacks up in a particular field/area), and the conclusions are that the evidence is weak and the studies are badly designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back